Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nusery Nurse (EYP) NZ Qualification and visa?

Nusery Nurse (EYP) NZ Qualification and visa?

Old Jul 21st 2019, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

MillyR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nusery Nurse (EYP) NZ Qualification and visa?

Hello,

i'm looking to perhaps go to New Zealand to work early next year, I'm in my mid 20's and currently work in a nursery as an early years practitioner qualified with a Level 3.
i have looked on the New Zealand immigration website and as far as I can see the equivalent would be a Kindergarten assistant which is part of the skilled migrant category but has an ANZSCO skill level of 4. Does anyone know if this is equal to my current qualification?

Also, has anyone else got a skilled working visa with a childcare qualification or would I have to get a working holiday visa?
I'm worried with a working holiday visa I would be unable to get a job within a nursery (kindergarten.)

Any advice welcome, Thanks.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nusery Nurse (EYP) NZ Qualification and visa?

Hi,
Is your qualification a Level 3 NVQ ?
Not sure what your equivalent occupation title will be here. You could be a Preschool Aide or Child Care Worker or Early Childhood Worker ? These are all classed as Skilled Occupations but they are not occupations listed on any of the skill shortage lists which makes it more difficult to obtain a visa that will allow you to work here.
Unable to say whether your qualification will meet ANZSCO skill level 4. Don't think NVQ qualifications are listed on any of the qualifications exempt from assessments documents for the UK. I know City & Guilds is on there but haven't ever seen any reference to NVQ so may mean you would have to have your qualification assessed by NZQA.

A WHV will be an ideal route for you at your age. You will be able to work for a child care facility. The visa allows you tow work which is all the employer needs to know. It is for you to manage the time you are working within the conditions of the visa. You would be able to work for a TOTAL period of 12 months on a WHV and with a job offer from a childcare facility you may be able to apply for a temporary work visa that will allow you to live and work in NZ for longer than what the WHV covers. Whether or not you will be able to stay longer all depends on the job offer, salary level etc as there are now thresholds in place that makes it harder for overseas migrants to live and work here longer than a number of years.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

"escapedtonz
Re: Nusery Nurse (EYP) NZ Qualification and visa?Hi,
Is your qualification a Level 3 NVQ ?
Not sure what your equivalent occupation title will be here. You could be a Preschool Aide or Child Care Worker or Early Childhood Worker ? These are all classed as Skilled Occupations but they are not occupations listed on any of the skill shortage lists which makes it more difficult to obtain a visa that will allow you to work here.
Unable to say whether your qualification will meet ANZSCO skill level 4. Don't think NVQ qualifications are listed on any of the qualifications exempt from assessments documents for the UK. I know City & Guilds is on there but haven't ever seen any reference to NVQ so may mean you would have to have your qualification assessed by NZQA.

A WHV will be an ideal route for you at your age. You will be able to work for a child care facility. The visa allows you tow work which is all the employer needs to know. It is for you to manage the time you are working within the conditions of the visa. You would be able to work for a TOTAL period of 12 months on a WHV and with a job offer from a childcare facility you may be able to apply for a temporary work visa that will allow you to live and work in NZ for longer than what the WHV covers. Whether or not you will be able to stay longer all depends on the job offer, salary level etc as there are now thresholds in place that makes it harder for overseas migrants to live and work here longer than a number of years."
- Hi, Yes it is the same as an NVQ just a different examination board that provides the qualification.

Thanks a lot, yes i have thought about getting my qualification assessed but don't know when to do that. I see, so although it is skilled it does not mean I would be able to get a visa easily. There are certain factors which will boost my points for a skilled visa, such as having a job offer and already being in NZ for a year.

Thank you, that is understandable, I think the WHV may have to be my first option and if I find a job willing to sponsor me for another year or so it would be great. The issue is i would love to work and travel the whole 2 years of the WHV, not just work for a year but not be able to work the second year of the visa. I enjoy my work and would not want such a large gap in my career where I was not learning and progressing as i do want to come back to the UK to study further.

Thanks!
Old Jul 21st 2019, 9:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MillyR
-as i do want to come back to the UK to study further.

Thanks!
Morning MillyR.

To be clear , are you saying you are not looking to make NZ a permanent home but rather come to experience work and life in NZ for a year or two please?

Old Jul 21st 2019, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Yes that is correct, preferably more than one year than the WHV would allow me to work, which is why i was looking and exploring other visa's, but right now I do not see myself wanting to move there permanently, but would want to work and see the country for approx 2 years.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 10:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MillyR
Yes that is correct, preferably more than one year than the WHV would allow me to work, which is why i was looking and exploring other visa's, but right now I do not see myself wanting to move there permanently, but would want to work and see the country for approx 2 years.
OK and thanks for replying .

In this instance you will be best off with the working holiday visa. I know it only allows for one year of work but this would get your foot in the door with regard to possibly picking up work in your field. From there it might be possible for an employer to offer you a further year of work in which case you would apply for a temporary work permit once you had the employment contract in your hand.

Any other visas are not really doable as the chances of you gaining a job offer in this occupation from afar is very likely slim to nil.

I'm going to be a bit honest here and anyone is free to correct if needs be or if they know of an area where pre-school aides are thin on the ground. I feel your chances of picking up temporary employment as a pre-school aide will be really slim. These jobs can be like hens teeth and many NZ qualified pre-school aides chase this work as it fits around family life .

To aid any application you may wish to have your UK qualification pre assessed in advance. That will give you the NZ equivalent level
. You do this through NZQA <----- click the link

Old Jul 22nd 2019, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know all the facts but do know that regulations have been tightened up recently and I believe you now need to have minimum Bachelors Degree and register with Teaching Council to be a Kindy / Early Childhood Educator (ECE) which has lead to some shortages.

https://www.careers.govt.nz/jobs-dat...eacher-kaiako/

https://teachingcouncil.nz/

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...ith-ece-groups