Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

nursing registration

nursing registration

Old Jul 30th 2008, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute
Default nursing registration

Hi all you nursies out there!!

Received my police certificate yesterday...it said 'no trace' therefore I'm ok!

Isn't it strange, you know you have no convictions or anything, yet you're still apprehensive when opening the envelope from ACRO!!

Anyway, that was all I was waiting for, and now I have sent off my application & necessary docs to NCNZ.

Just wondered how long they have been taking to grant registration. I have been told 3-4 months, but I'm crossing everything that it will be sooner.

Please tell me it's only a few weeks! That'd be nice

Cheers, Cheryl x
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Snyffa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: nursing registration

Originally Posted by iwannagonow

Isn't it strange, you know you have no convictions or anything, yet you're still apprehensive when opening the envelope from ACRO!!

Anyway, that was all I was waiting for, and now I have sent off my application & necessary docs to NCNZ.

Just wondered how long they have been taking to grant registration. I have been told 3-4 months, but I'm crossing everything that it will be sooner.

Cheers, Cheryl x
I have also been told approximately 4 months, but i was told thats usually because theyre waiting on everything, they dont process anything until all the bits have arrived including your trascript and nmc confirmation etc, so i would contact those people and see where they are at with their side of the bargain and hurry them along. I have gone with a recruitment agency also and as my representative she can talk to the NZ nursing council and check on what they havent recieved yet so you could also i presume contact them.
toodles
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute

Which agency are you using? I'm using Tonix...up to now they seem pretty good

I have emailed my agent at Tonix to keep her updated, I'm sure I could get her to hurry them up a bit! We're hoping to move in January....she said this is feasible...but I'm not convinced!

I'm off tomorrow, so I shall definately be getting in touch with the NMC & my old school of nursing to see how they're getting on....I even sent prepaid envelopes with the request forms to help speed them up a bit!

NMC charged me £34 & my old school of nursing charged me £10 How very dare they!!

Cheryl x
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Snyffa is an unknown quantity at this point

Which agency are you using? I'm using Tonix...up to now they seem pretty good

I have emailed my agent at Tonix to keep her updated, I'm sure I could get her to hurry them up a bit! We're hoping to move in January....she said this is feasible...but I'm not convinced!

I'm off tomorrow, so I shall definately be getting in touch with the NMC & my old school of nursing to see how they're getting on....I even sent prepaid envelopes with the request forms to help speed them up a bit!

NMC charged me £34 & my old school of nursing charged me £10 How very dare they!!

Cheryl x
Yes im expecting be charged the priviledge, how frustrating. Im planning on going in January also, Im going out for a year and then returning to friends and family here, although who knows what might happen in a year. But the intention is a year out exploring and growing. Im with Tonix also, they seem very useful and pleasent, certainly going to make this process easier i think.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

I've been in contact with Heidi from Tonix....she rang me the night after I had sent them an email....I wasn't expecting it & had had some wine!!

She was very pleasant & has answered any question I have had. She usually emails back within 24 hours!

I'm expecting to get charged for everything...it's not gonna be cheap moving to the other side of the world but I just know it's gonna be well worth it!!

Cheryl x
Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Faybe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

It should please you to hear that your nursing reg shouldnt take as long as they predict. Mine came back recently and it only took 6 weeks!! Bonus!
I have a medical booked and then the Visa to return, est about 4-10 weeks for that I have been told.
I hope this helps with some time frames
Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Faybe
Hi there,

It should please you to hear that your nursing reg shouldnt take as long as they predict. Mine came back recently and it only took 6 weeks!! Bonus!
I have a medical booked and then the Visa to return, est about 4-10 weeks for that I have been told.
I hope this helps with some time frames
6 weeks? That's brilliant news!!

I hope they're all as quick as that!

I was a little worried that we may not make the January date we set ourselves...thought we might have been a little too optimistic!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:38 am
Just Joined

WestcountryGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers, Cheryl x
/: the nursing council are unfortunatly a bit useless /:
Sometimes it all takes 9 months... it depends really... once they have all the information they do not automatically process it... it can take weeks i think i was waiting 5-6 weeks after they had all the info... i think this is about normal though depending on the amount of people they are processing it could be quicker for you...
ps, i dont usually come on this forum so i wont respond to a response to this msge... but, all i can say is that its worth it once you get here... Bay of Plenty is the place to come!! been all over NZ and this is the spot... summer gets into full swing by xmas so get on that plane!! [I allowed my son to respond to your query as he works as a Mental Health Nurse here] Good luck with everything.

Last edited by WestcountryGirl; Sep 2nd 2008 at 12:41 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:56 am
Just Joined

hippychic23 is a jewel in the roughhippychic23 is a jewel in the roughhippychic23 is a jewel in the roughhippychic23 is a jewel in the rough

well - I started my (very very long) attempt to get into NZ in dec last year - I also went with Tonix - Heidi is so so lovely.... have a job (started 4th Aug!!!) and then there was the nursing council of NZ........
what can I say? paid for my police checks, nagged at work for references, paid for the reports from my school of nursing (who, by the way, do not keep records dating back to when I did my training - so could prove I was a midwife, but not a nurse as it was too long ago!!!) Anyway, sent it all off - my character references were sent off separately as were my proof of working as a nurse - and they managed to lose the lot.!! they also got snotty when I re what I could it and asked for an email as confirmation of acceptance. my references all needed re doing, and trying to get a busy ward manager to sit and sing your praises after a long shift is a joke! I also hadn't thought to copy out anything so had to start again from the beginning, Anyone at that stage i would suggest sending it all registered post - the extra cost is worth the upset and delay - I think they are keeping my dream job open for me - in the meantime i sit in the midst of utter chaos that is the crumbling NHS in the uk.... and pray it isn't for much longer.
oh, have also had to buy the boys school uniform and new school shoes.... thought we would be gone by now, so hadn't budgeted for them - sat for over an hour in Clarkes yesterday with about a million squealing brats (mine not much better after about 20 mins)
ho hum - please tell me it will be worth it..........
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

nirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nice
Question Re: nursing registration

Dear All,

Sorry to change direction of the thread but can i ask some questions about nursing in new zealand.Looking at New zealand to move with my wife and 2 children. I am a dual qualified paediatric and learning disasbility nurse with 10 years experience in Learning disability and 5 years in paediatrics. I also have a Bsc (HONS) in health and social care if this is important. I am registered in NSW Australia so can apply under the mutual agreement New Zealand has with Austrsalia.

However i am finding it hard to find out information on the salary structure for nurses in new zealand either with Nursing agencies or in the public health system.Do nurses get unsocial hour payments, night duty payments/bank holiday payments and what is the banding system like. Is it dependant on years experience or is it on what you can negotiate. i saw somewhere that the average was $56,000pa but not sure if this was basic or included unsocial hours. What is an average hourly week in new zealand for nurses, 40 hours more or less? and the holiday situation? is it as generous as the uk?

I know all these questions!?! but any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank

nirrade

Last edited by nirrade; Sep 2nd 2008 at 1:03 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

nirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nice
Smile Re: nursing registration

Dear All,

It always happens this way but managed to find the pay and conditions paperwork on the New Zealand nurse organisation website just after posting my questions. This answered most questions but raised some more.

Like does my experience in englend count to which step you go on? or do all overseas nurses start at the bottom step?

again any advice much appreciated.

nirrade.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

hippychic23 is a jewel in the roughhippychic23 is a jewel in the roughhippychic23 is a jewel in the roughhippychic23 is a jewel in the rough

have got my job as a senior staff nurse - so not had to go right back to the bottom rung of the ladder..... the interview over the phone was great (I remembered my prev interviews - and spent 3 days constant swatting) wow - what a shock - they were lovely.....laid back and friendly. In fact I was a bit upset that I HADN'T been asked the major health issues of Auckland, or any other parts of the mound of NZ nursing specific paperwork I sat and read....
so anyway - I think they go a lot on experience - and British trained nurses are supposed to be very highly qualified. So go out there - sell yourself, and aim high.....
good luck
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nirrade
Dear All,

It always happens this way but managed to find the pay and conditions paperwork on the New Zealand nurse organisation website just after posting my questions. This answered most questions but raised some more.

Like does my experience in englend count to which step you go on? or do all overseas nurses start at the bottom step?

again any advice much appreciated.

nirrade.
Hi, Coming from the UK you should start on the most appropriate step for you length of experience. So no, you do not start at the bottom.

Cheers
Gill
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nirrade
Dear All,

Sorry to change direction of the thread but can i ask some questions about nursing in new zealand.Looking at New zealand to move with my wife and 2 children. I am a dual qualified paediatric and learning disasbility nurse with 10 years experience in Learning disability and 5 years in paediatrics. I also have a Bsc (HONS) in health and social care if this is important. I am registered in NSW Australia so can apply under the mutual agreement New Zealand has with Austrsalia.

However i am finding it hard to find out information on the salary structure for nurses in new zealand either with Nursing agencies or in the public health system.Do nurses get unsocial hour payments, night duty payments/bank holiday payments and what is the banding system like. Is it dependant on years experience or is it on what you can negotiate. i saw somewhere that the average was $56,000pa but not sure if this was basic or included unsocial hours. What is an average hourly week in new zealand for nurses, 40 hours more or less? and the holiday situation? is it as generous as the uk?

I know all these questions!?! but any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank

nirrade
Hi nirrade
As already said, your experience will count. Without knowing your specifics I would guess you would fit anywhere from 55000 to 62000 as a senior nurse with the unsocial and nights adding if you work in such an environment. I'm 3 yrs experence on 52000. I vastly increase this through weekends, nights and extras. I'll prob pull over 75000, but I don't have family committments!!!