Nursing in NZ

Old May 19th 2012, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

S4r4h123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nursing in NZ

Hello all! I am currently looking in to moving to NZ. I am a registered nurse with 3 years a+e experience. I was wondering if any of you had any info you could share with me on the visa and registration process. Or if it would be easier to go through an agency? What the wages are like there and so on. I'm completely confused and don't really know where to start. I spent 6 weeks travelling around NZ last year and fell in love with the place, would really love to move there next year.
Old May 19th 2012, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

ragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Nursing in NZ

Hi welcome - the first part of the registration process is to sit the IELTS exam. You need to pass this to be able to apply for your NZ registration. Check your local area for centres that run this. I sat mine in 2009 cost 105 pounds. You will also need to obtain a transcript of your training and verification from the NMC check their website for a verification form. You need to check out the Nz nursing council website www.nursingcouncil.org.nz you will also need police checks.
You need to look at nz immigration and decide which visa you are going to apply for and start the ball rolling there. There are still jobs to be found but not so many as there used to be. You will Need a current practising certificate before you apply you get this with your registration. Look at www.seek.co.nz this will give you an idea of what jobs are available in your speciality. Nursing agencies advertise through here as well. The normal working week is 40 hrs and we get 4 weeks holiday plus stats. Salary is paid fortnightly and will the current exchange rate is around the same as the uk perhaps slightly more depending on grade and level. Hope this gives a bit of an insight.If you have any questions let me know. There are loads of nurses from different specialities on here and I'm sure they will along soon to offer you advice. Good luck
Old May 21st 2012, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent advice Ragdolls2

Gill
Old May 21st 2012, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Thank you for all your help, would have been lost without you!!
Old May 22nd 2012, 1:51 am
RIP Jackson - 10/07/12

azakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really nice

Hiya, Thats really good advice from ragdolls2, I agree. Thanks for the advice about the salary because I wasn't sure.

The IELTs is £125 now and you may have to pay for your uni transcripts...I paid about £35. Its hard knowing what to do when...but when you work out how long things last for for example the IELTS lasts two years etc then it will all fall in to place.

I have just put in for permanent residency visa with my husband and we are due to go out soon.

From my personal experience I found it incredible difficult to find a job within an agency. I was promised things and I never got anywhere. I started to apply for jobs outright from hospitals and was offered a post straight away. I have read other posts on here that said that agencies are pretty good so guess it depends on which agency it is etc.

Good luck!
Old May 22nd 2012, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

ragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud of

I agree with azakeen1980 re: nursing agencies found they promised lots delivered nothing!!! I ended up applying direct to the DBH saw the job advertised on seek had an interview over the phone ( was still in uk) and started 4 weeks later Best of luck with your adventure!!
Old May 23rd 2012, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ragdolls2 View Post
I agree with azakeen1980 re: nursing agencies found they promised lots delivered nothing!!! I ended up applying direct to the DBH saw the job advertised on seek had an interview over the phone ( was still in uk) and started 4 weeks later Best of luck with your adventure!!
I think it all depends on the actual agency and how close they are with the DHB, my OH go ta job through an agency with a telephone interview which enables us to come out here.

As a side issue @ S4r4h have you looked into prison nursing?? I know its a bit of a quantum leap and not for everybody but my o/h has now been working as a prison nurse for over two years ..... no shift work, late finish is 8pm .....
Old May 23rd 2012, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Just be aware that most of the nursing agencies are chasing the same vacant positions! Geneva Health and Tonix appear to have good reputations. RE| prison nursing definitely not for everyone and they do have a quick turnover!!
Old May 23rd 2012, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Trish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really nice

S4r4h, you need to do your IELTs first, then apply for nursing registration - this takes ages. I sent off my first stage documents at the beginning of March & received an e-mail from my uni yesterday to say they've just sent off my transcripts!!!
If you get in touch with the DHBs you could still get a job offer before you register. I don't think you'll have a problem getting a job with your A&E experience!
Old May 23rd 2012, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
I also approached to the DHB directly.
Their individual websites show their current vacancies.
Old May 23rd 2012, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Thank you everybody for all the advice booked my IELTS for September so will hopefully have everything sorted to go out this time next year! Soo excited just a case of counting down the months now, thanks again xx
Old May 23rd 2012, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Trish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really nice

Make sure you apply for police clearance around the time you sit the IELTS exam. It takes a couple of weeks to receive the certificates. If you time it right you'll receive your IELTS and police certificates at the same time and then you can apply for nursing registration.
Old May 24th 2012, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S4r4h123 View Post
Thank you everybody for all the advice booked my IELTS for September so will hopefully have everything sorted to go out this time next year! Soo excited just a case of counting down the months now, thanks again xx
Good luck!

Don't bother with an agency - we found them of little help/use. Contacting the health boards directly seemed to be the best option.

Do the online points calculator and see if you are eligible for residency as that will be a great bonus.