Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nursing in New Zealand

Nursing in New Zealand

Old Nov 18th 2006, 6:08 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nursing in New Zealand

A new member asked me how different is nursing here in New Zealand. I don't know the figures but I guess there are quite a few nurses in our numbers on this site and maybe our thoughts and opinions on one thread would be useful. There is probably a past thread on this topic but my search didn't turn it up.

I'll go first then.
I haven't noticed huge differences but I am a mental health nurse working in forensic rehabilitation, which is a very long slow process. The practice is a bit behind that I left in the UK but that may vary with how progressive your unit in the UK was and how proactive they are here.
It's not a high tech field but they are starting to use computers more now to collate and maintain patient details.
I find the main differences to be cultural. There are cultural liaison representatives all over within the District Health Boards so that shouldn't cause major problems. The use of calming and restraint differs also. As it is inappropriate to touch the head here, C&R practices involve putting pressure on the upper back to bring the head and shoulders down which is not legal in the UK. Works far better the way they do it here!!
I have found my new colleagues to be helpful and pleasant - I have read other comments that suggest others have found otherwise.
Karen B
Old Nov 18th 2006, 9:36 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing in New Zealand

Originally Posted by karonious
A new member asked me how different is nursing here in New Zealand. I don't know the figures but I guess there are quite a few nurses in our numbers on this site and maybe our thoughts and opinions on one thread would be useful. There is probably a past thread on this topic but my search didn't turn it up.

I'll go first then.
I haven't noticed huge differences but I am a mental health nurse working in forensic rehabilitation, which is a very long slow process. The practice is a bit behind that I left in the UK but that may vary with how progressive your unit in the UK was and how proactive they are here.
It's not a high tech field but they are starting to use computers more now to collate and maintain patient details.
I find the main differences to be cultural. There are cultural liaison representatives all over within the District Health Boards so that shouldn't cause major problems. The use of calming and restraint differs also. As it is inappropriate to touch the head here, C&R practices involve putting pressure on the upper back to bring the head and shoulders down which is not legal in the UK. Works far better the way they do it here!!
I have found my new colleagues to be helpful and pleasant - I have read other comments that suggest others have found otherwise.
Karen B
Hi Karen

My missus is an ODP. Whats it like for them any idea?
Old Nov 18th 2006, 9:50 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Hi Karen

My missus is an ODP. Whats it like for them any idea?
Hi there,
I'm sorry, I really don't know anything but my own discipline
But I'm sure someone will know and will be glad, nay delighted to help out.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 9:51 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
Hi there,
I'm sorry, I really don't know anything but my own discipline
But I'm sure someone will know and will be glad, nay delighted to help out.
Thats fine
Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:21 am
rmj
Just Joined

Location: Wellington...there where the mighty Hurricanes come from...be afraid....be very very afraid!!!
rmj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nice

My goodness

I wanted to write something about this but havent had the time yet.

My first bug bear is the shift hours. I was aware that their shifts end at 23:00 on a late and nights start that time but wtf if im on a night I like to go round to my patients and check their condition etc. Here they all asleep then you sit at the nurses station till 07:00 hand over and go home. If you do manage to get a pt awake at that time you disturbing everyone else?? Late shift finishing at 23:00 just dont get me started on this one!!!

My second bug bear is the radio at the nurses station blasting away non stop, really get my back up. Apparently im quite unlucky as another ward have a dvdplayer and tv???

Now really who still puts capd bags in the microwave???

Your nurse in charge that doesnt actually know whats happening with the patients when handing over?

Receiving handover at 07:00 then planning your shift till 09:00 then start work?

The NHS does have its problems but my word so does the NZ System.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:38 am
conquering the world!

My first bug bear is the shift hours. I was aware that their shifts end at 23:00 on a late and nights start that time but wtf if im on a night I like to go round to my patients and check their condition etc. Here they all asleep then you sit at the nurses station till 07:00 hand over and go home. If you do manage to get a pt awake at that time you disturbing everyone else?? Late shift finishing at 23:00 just dont get me started on this one!!!

My second bug bear is the radio at the nurses station blasting away non stop, really get my back up. Apparently im quite unlucky as another ward have a dvdplayer and tv???

Now really who still puts capd bags in the microwave???

Your nurse in charge that doesnt actually know whats happening with the patients when handing over?

Receiving handover at 07:00 then planning your shift till 09:00 then start work?

I used to think with shift-work, at least I had part of the day to sit in the garden and enjoy the sun when I was on an early. Not any more as they work 7am-4pm. If I worked permanant late shifts I would hardly see my daughter at all as they run 3pm -11pm.
I find it unusual to see so many staff sitting in the office I would have half the chairs moved out of there!!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

The NHS does have its problems but my word so does the NZ System.[/QUOTE]

Do you by any chance work at Wellington Hospital.

My experience at that hospital wasn't a good one. Nurses weren't helpful, they witheld their knowledge and experience. I have seen very bad and sometimes dangerous practice. The team leader and the staff were unsupportive and don't want new nurses to be able to use their experience. I used to give Chemo back home, but couldn't at the hospital until I had passed their competencies. I didn't have a problem with learning stuff the NZ way, the problem was; before doing that I had to pass competencies in IV, this should have been a piece of cake. But - part of passing meant that nurses had to watch you practice these competencies, the nurses said that they were always too busy, they just wouldn't watch you. They definately hold you back, many are on power struggles and just want to look good at what they do. If they don't let new nurses progress they are in demand and feel needy.
They don't have auxilliary nurses, so the RN's make beds, do washes and baths and serve the meals, the standard of care at times isn't even basic. The handover was very minimal, they use lots of abbreviations which is like a foreign language.

When we arrived in NZ, I only had 2 wks to look for accommodation before starting work, the team leader would not let me put back my start date, this just added to more pressure.

I stuck it for 3 months, just to validate my PR. I now work as a Practice nurse and I find the staff are more on our wave length, they are very helpful and friendly, and don't mind our ideas or change. In the hospital I noticed racism within the team, where as in the community I find everyone are better team players.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 8:08 am
rmj
Just Joined

Location: Wellington...there where the mighty Hurricanes come from...be afraid....be very very afraid!!!
rmj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boopy

Do you by any chance work at Wellington Hospital.

My experience at that hospital wasn't a good one. Nurses weren't helpful, they witheld their knowledge and experience. I have seen very bad and sometimes dangerous practice. The team leader and the staff were unsupportive and don't want new nurses to be able to use their experience. I used to give Chemo back home, but couldn't at the hospital until I had passed their competencies. I didn't have a problem with learning stuff the NZ way, the problem was; before doing that I had to pass competencies in IV, this should have been a piece of cake. But - part of passing meant that nurses had to watch you practice these competencies, the nurses said that they were always too busy, they just wouldn't watch you. They definately hold you back, many are on power struggles and just want to look good at what they do. If they don't let new nurses progress they are in demand and feel needy.
They don't have auxilliary nurses, so the RN's make beds, do washes and baths and serve the meals, the standard of care at times isn't even basic. The handover was very minimal, they use lots of abbreviations which is like a foreign language.

When we arrived in NZ, I only had 2 wks to look for accommodation before starting work, the team leader would not let me put back my start date, this just added to more pressure.

I stuck it for 3 months, just to validate my PR. I now work as a Practice nurse and I find the staff are more on our wave length, they are very helpful and friendly, and don't mind our ideas or change. In the hospital I noticed racism within the team, where as in the community I find everyone are better team players.
I think we should have a chat..lol

Will send you a pm tomorrow if thats ok
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:40 am
Just Joined

hoping is an unknown quantity at this point

The NHS does have its problems but my word so does the NZ System.

Surely its not that bad!!!! has anyone got any good experiences? I am looking at moving to either Tauranga or Whakatane. please tell me im making the right decision.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:53 am
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Has anyone any experience of working as a midwife in NZ? I have restrictions on my practice for 18mths until I have done all the Treaty of Waitangi, pharmacology etc. stuff, so I can't work independently until after that time. Though I'm not sure I plan to stay in midwifery forever ( I hate shift work!) but will need to find work to pay the mortgage & for my sanity . Not sure I would still be awake to start a night shift at 23.00! Anyone have experience of working 12hr shifts in NZ?
Annie
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:53 am
conquering the world!

Originally Posted by hoping
Surely its not that bad!!!! has anyone got any good experiences? I am looking at moving to either Tauranga or Whakatane. please tell me im making the right decision.

I have had a positive experience working here so far, just different rather than wrong. The amount of orientation has been phenomenal. They work a far better shift pattern on my ward: 4 on, 2 off. On my last ward you found out about 2 weeks in advance and it could be absolutely any shift with no pattern at all. Having said that, he always tried to give you what you wanted. At least here, you can plan ahead as it won't vary.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoping
Use the hospital as a way in to NZ, after 3 months if it's not what you want, move on. "Felix Dad" other half works at a hospital in Palmerston North and loves it.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AnnieNell
Hi
Has anyone any experience of working as a midwife in NZ? I have restrictions on my practice for 18mths until I have done all the Treaty of Waitangi, pharmacology etc. stuff, so I can't work independently until after that time. Though I'm not sure I plan to stay in midwifery forever ( I hate shift work!) but will need to find work to pay the mortgage & for my sanity . Not sure I would still be awake to start a night shift at 23.00! Anyone have experience of working 12hr shifts in NZ?
Annie
Wellington hosp works 12 hour shifts, they apparently don't do the treaty stuff - cos of money.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Wellington hosp works 12 hour shifts, they apparently don't do the treaty stuff - cos of money.
If you want to do the treaty stuff, you should come to Rotorua.

Rob