Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nurses salary in NZ??

Nurses salary in NZ??

Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

stellios is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nurses salary in NZ??

Hi. Looking again at potential move to Nelson/Blenheim. Can anyone advise what a nurses pay is likely to be? I am a paediatric nurse with 16 years experience.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurses salary in NZ??

Hospital & community have different pay scales, & I'm afraid I'm not at all up to date with hospital pay scales. You're probably best advised to google the MECA (multi employer collective agreement) especially the version in use by the DHB you are looking at. The NZNO is involved in drawing up the MECA & it includes salary scales, leave entitlements & much much more. The DHBs tweak it slightly to reflect their particular area but that's the document to refer to for salary enquiries, or indeed to refer to if you're trying to negotiate a deal.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 6:01 am
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Salaries are set nationally between the New Zealand Nurses Organisation and the DHB's, its not just salaries they set, but also leave entitlements, allowances etc.

If you follow the link below that will take you to the DHNZ website, then look for this NZNO Nursing and Midwifery MECA (pdf. 10.5MB) (1 March 2012-28 February 2015) MECA. That should give you an idea of the salaries.

I do work for a DHB and happy to help if I can

Regards
Jo

http://www.dhbsharedservices.health....EAs/MECAs.aspx
Old Sep 1st 2012, 6:54 am
MDD
Just Joined

MDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant future

Hi stellios,

As stated the wages here when working for dhb's are set rates. They are incremental and increase yearly on the day that you joined your dhb. However what I can add is that they take your previous experience into account when placing you on the scale and that should put you at the top of the scale. When here you can also add to this by completing a level three or four portfolio. However I am not sure how far things have gotten for you seeking work, but jobs in the Blenheim and Nelson region can be hard to come by and are often highly sought after when they do come up which can make visas difficult. In order to be eligible when you are not a resident you need to show that there are no suitable local applicants, therefore getting nursing positions in the bigger areas is much easier. Also, although it's not as bad as places like the uk, there are definitely not as many jobs around at the moment. I have been nursing here for almost ten years and run a post grad programme for our dhb. I am helping them to get positions and there aren't a lot around and I was at a national forum where it seemed to be a similar picture, but they are predicting it will change. Mind you saying that, there is often a lack of experienced nurses and if you phone managers of teams they will often be able to do something for someone with your experience. Any way happy to give more info.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 9:34 am
Just Joined

stellios is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all info. Not quite sure where I would be on the payscale as although very experienced I am still a band 5 in the UK as there is literally nowhere to go in my hospital! I am not sure how this will translate. I need to have a rough idea as I will be the main breadwinner for my family. Now also concerned about the job situation!! A few years back when we were considering the move I had a telephone interview looming within days of showing the slightest interest in Blenheim. I guess the situation has changed dramatically.

Last edited by stellios; Sep 1st 2012 at 9:36 am.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 9:50 am
MDD
Just Joined

MDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant future

Your pay is based on years of experience, which is great for you as it will mean that your current band doesn't matter you will be on the top rate as it is years of experience. It can be a pain when working here as is it is a flat structure so no one wants to take responsibility for things and it often falls to the same frustrated people, who do it for the same money. However it does get noted and I am now on senior nurses scale and also means you dont have the problems you have had with being band 5 as you just move up automatically. Don't worry too much about work, with your experience something will come up, but Blenheim and Nelson are really popular and don't usually have a problem with recruitment, I would contact the managers, I know all ours prefer that, they hate using agencies.