nurses in nz

Old Mar 28th 2009, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute
Question nurses in nz

Hi all, are there any English nurses out there working in nz? If so, could you please let me know what its like and some of the differences between working here and there? I have job in North Shore Hospital hopefully starting August and as I have only been qualified 1 year I'm getting a bit worried thanks, Bevissa
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

libra81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: nurses in nz

Originally Posted by bevissa65
Hi all, are there any English nurses out there working in nz? If so, could you please let me know what its like and some of the differences between working here and there? I have job in North Shore Hospital hopefully starting August and as I have only been qualified 1 year I'm getting a bit worried thanks, Bevissa
Hi, havent got much advice really just wanted to say hello. I am a RGN but qualify as a midwife in July and have a position starting in Whangarei in September. Hope you get some help to your questions, it may be better to put this post in the main section
Old Apr 1st 2009, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Newfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud of

Hi and welcome.

Nursing is more laid back here.
If you are working on a main ward it is a 1 nurse to 5 patient ratio 6 if you are unlucky. You do everything for that patient obs meds shower make beds etc Wards do have HCA but they mainly keep the ward area stocked of supplies and assist with some showers.

We are generally governed by the MECA 'multi employer collective agreement' google it, so all our pay scales and conditions are thrashed out here to our benefit as it is across NZ so no differing standards like the uk.

The one main bug bear that I have is that they love brand names her and although it states that they (DRS) must chart in generics they dont. Some of their other systems are slightly different but as youy have been qualified for a year you may not have know the original ways of the uk system as myself and other colleagues fellow pops moan about.

If you have any specifics just let us know and we will do our best to answer.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Newfies, thanks for that. I am only just getting on top of the drugs here so the thought of having to relearn names is a bit of a pain! I am an old starter nurse too so the memory isn't as good as it used to be Where do you work and whats the uniform like? Do you find it as intense as in the UK? I have been told that the ward I have job offer for is acute medical which is what I am on here and the Sister has said its really busy but would that be my idea of busy (you know how it is, completely manic and a 12 hour day seems to go in about 4 hours!!) or is it their idea of busy? Do you do the short days and if so how do you get on with them? I only do 3 days week here (36hrs) and am unsure of doing 5 day week. Thanks, Bevissa
Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Newfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud of

My work here is now intensive as I work in intensive care. spot the pun.

Prior to that I worked in 'busy' Medical ward with a 1 to 5 parient ratio. Busy my ar*e. I was all done by 9.30 every morning shift done all my referals and notes by 9.45 and was asking other nurses if they needed a hand! Often the answer was no so I used to sit and chat to patients for alot of my 8 hour day which was great for a while made me feel like a proper nurse should be. But I felt I was not challenged enough lack of learning opportunities etc hence to move to ICU and I love it.

In the uk I worked on a medical assesment unit and half the time i didn't know my ar*e from ma elbow we were so busy. It was regular that I had 11 patients to assess admit cary out basic tests such as bloods ecgs etc. Do ward rounds drurg infusions on nearly all of them as they all were admitted with chest pain near enough so were on GTN infusions. Oral drug rounds wound dressings. the odd arrest throw in for good measure on a 12 hour shift was great went in a flash so did the gallon of wine I had each night I got home.
They do not run the likes of GTN infusions or sliding scale insulin for the dka on the wards here as the staff arent trained for it. They tend to go to HDU.

Here very few places work the 12 hour shift its all 8 hour and it killed me working 5 days a week I never had enough time. I now work 3 12 hours a week and although I dont do much during the days I work apart from sleep eat work. I sure make up for it on the days I have off.
I spend one evening generally doing house work. Its cooler and not much happeneing during the week. During the days were out kayaking cycling lunching with friends etc

The working week here is 40 hours so full time is 5 x 8 hour shifts a week most will work .9 which os 9 shifts over 2 weeks as we get paid fortnightly
here

The uniform is ok I have tunics and 2 pair of full length trousers and 3 pairs of 3/4 length for the summer months but you can in some places wear shorts. Sandals are generally accepted though they are trying to ban 'Crocs' Hate the thing for work myself they are comfortable but working 12 hours I want support which they dont give you.

Generally it is more laid back thatn the uk Hope that helps.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to say but North Shore doesn't have the best reputation. Wards are similar to NHS 4-bedded bays. Place looks rather tatty. The bathrooms are mixed sex :curse:. They have a problem with EBSL so everyone has to do an anal swab on admission to a ward & on leaving. Practices are rather behind the UK & standards aren't as high IMHO. They are often short of beds so it's busy.

Having said all that, my mate's wife used to work there & enjoyed it, so can't be all bad.

Good Luck
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that vitalstastistix (I think!!) I don't know if we have made the right choice about where we are going to live to start with (North Shore) but we have been to the area and liked it. I am a bit concerned about the hospital now but our general plan is to travel around as much as we are able to in our time off and find somewhere we really like so at least I could move hospitals later on!! I will be bonded for 1 year but that will soon go, and at least I will get NZ experience Bevissa
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevissa65
Thanks for that vitalstastistix (I think!!) I don't know if we have made the right choice about where we are going to live to start with (North Shore) but we have been to the area and liked it. I am a bit concerned about the hospital now but our general plan is to travel around as much as we are able to in our time off and find somewhere we really like so at least I could move hospitals later on!! I will be bonded for 1 year but that will soon go, and at least I will get NZ experience Bevissa
The North Shore area is nice but wasn't right for us. It felt 'boxed-in' to us, having said that, we have a few friends down there who are very happy living there. Horses for courses. We live in Gulf Harbour towards the end of the Whangaparaoa Peninsula & love it. Apart from work, we feel we are on a permanent holiday .

The missus is a midwife at a private hospital in Parnell & knows alot of people who have worked at North Shore in the maternity dept. Now that place is the pits! But the nursing side is much better apparently & you'll be working alongside other Brits, which will help. The better half's advice is to continue to practice to British standards - documentation is not too hot here. Secondly, choose your battles carefully. It's very easy to get into saying " In the UK, we do it like this etc." You will get frustrated at times, take it home with you & sound off to your other half

You never know, you may well be really happy at NSH & not need to look any further. As a nurse NZ is your oyster. Enjoy the adventure & good luck
Old Apr 4th 2009, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, I have only been qualified a year so it may be easier for me not to get so stressed with sloppy work. I shall try very hard to leave work there and enjoy the wine at home!! Glad to hear you are enjoying it all so much over there. I am so excited I want to leave UK tomorrow Bevissa