Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nurses holiday entitlement

Nurses holiday entitlement

Old Apr 7th 2008, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

JoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to all
Default Nurses holiday entitlement

Hello all, can any nurses out there clear things up for me please?

I've been reading threads regarding holidays for nurses and I gather that you get 4 - 5 weeks per year and whatever public holidays, however, what do people mean by sick days? Surely you don't get time back for sick days not taken?

I read somewhere that sick days accumulate but I'm not sure I understand this?

Thank you.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Nurses holiday entitlement

Hi

You get 4 weeks annual leave and the usual public holidays. After long service (think thats 5 years ???? not sure) you get 5 weeks.

Sick leave isnt added or paid you just build up days for the opportunity to be ill and paid for it!!!!!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

JoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to all

Thank you for the reply.

I take it you don't get paid for sick days til you accumulate them then, e.g. if I had only one months service I wouldn't get paid for being off sick?
Old Apr 8th 2008, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

You got it!!!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 3:46 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about nurses but a lot of companies limit you to a number of paid sick days a year - ten in my last two jobs.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RobClubley View Post
I don't know about nurses but a lot of companies limit you to a number of paid sick days a year - ten in my last two jobs.
In nursing you are employed under a collective agreement which will vary from one workplace to another. The collective where I work (hospice) gives nurses 10 days a year but whatever you don't use gets added to your next years allowance up to 100 days in total.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

That's great! Thank you all for the replies.