Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nurse qualifications and questions

Nurse qualifications and questions

Old Jul 19th 2019, 8:52 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Hopefulnurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nurse qualifications and questions

Hi everyone this will be my first post of many 😬so sorry before hand.
This is our story
we are looking to relocated to northland NZ and have been toying with the idea for what seems like years. My husband lived there until he was two when his mum couldn’t settle and brought him back. He finally met his dad when he was 28 and they have a great relationship and are so alike. Although he has so much family out there as grandparents, aunts and uncle all relocated back in the 70’s we would need to apply ( I believe) though the skill shortage path. I have been a nurse for over 10 yrs and am a unit manager of a dementia unit, he is a firefighter.

we finally made the decision to go for various reason( for a later post I think) and I looked at applying to NCNZ and getting the process started. Only to find out that my diploma in nursing would not be recognised 😱. As level 5 here and level 6 there. Believe you have to have a level 6 uk and level 7 NZ( sound right?)


Question 1. Has anyone been registered with the NCNZ with a diploma ?.

i have now applied and been offered a place on a top up degree in nursing which I hope to complete in a year.

Question 2. Has anyone else done this just to be able to relocate and it be accepted?


I will stop here for now, although I have many many questions about nearly everything.

thank you for taking the time to read 😌




Hopefulnurse is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2019, 8:58 pm
  #2  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 27
Clairemidwife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurse qualifications and questions

Hi

although I am not a nurse I am a midwife but only diploma entry. I did not top up to degree but have been offered a job (I have 13 years experience) and have been registered and accepted into the board of midwifery for NZ. I think the same would apply for you. I recommended Accent health recruitment as they are health recruitment specialists to get you off the ground. Good luck.

claire
Clairemidwife is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2019, 6:31 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
escapedtonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 1,379
escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurse qualifications and questions

Hi,
Mrs was only diploma qualified from Ormskirk School of Nursing and she didn't have to do any top up course to get her up to degree level. If I remember correctly at the time we came it was kind of borderline whether you needed to be degree trained. It might have been right on the verge of the system changing ? She had over 10 years experience as a nurse and around 14 years experience as a Sister in Charge on a really busy ICU and I think the experience played a major part in her getting the registration pretty quickly. Only thing she struggled with was the IELTS exam. English born n bred from English parents but she said it was hard work to get the minimum overall pass of 7. She scraped through then found out she'd done the wrong exam and it should have been IELTS Academic so had to do it all again but did much better second time around. Wasted a few months and 400 quid but worked out fine.

Isn't clear from your post but are either of your hubbies parents NZ citizens ? Was he born in NZ ? Could he be a citizen ?
If so you could just apply for Residency as the partner of a Kiwi instead of the Skilled migrant route.

Fire Service is difficult to get in to as a paid employee here. There aren't many paid fire fighters in NZ. A lot of them are volunteers and many fire services - especially those in more rural/coastal areas away from any cities are majority run by volunteers.
NZ Fire Service always open to accept able bodied volunteers but it can take many years to be successful in a paid position.
escapedtonz is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2019, 7:58 am
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Hopefulnurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurse qualifications and questions

Originally Posted by escapedtonz View Post
Hi,
Mrs was only diploma qualified from Ormskirk School of Nursing and she didn't have to do any top up course to get her up to degree level. If I remember correctly at the time we came it was kind of borderline whether you needed to be degree trained. It might have been right on the verge of the system changing ? She had over 10 years experience as a nurse and around 14 years experience as a Sister in Charge on a really busy ICU and I think the experience played a major part in her getting the registration pretty quickly. Only thing she struggled with was the IELTS exam. English born n bred from English parents but she said it was hard work to get the minimum overall pass of 7. She scraped through then found out she'd done the wrong exam and it should have been IELTS Academic so had to do it all again but did much better second time around. Wasted a few months and 400 quid but worked out fine.

Isn't clear from your post but are either of your hubbies parents NZ citizens ? Was he born in NZ ? Could he be a citizen ?
If so you could just apply for Residency as the partner of a Kiwi instead of the Skilled migrant route.

Fire Service is difficult to get in to as a paid employee here. There aren't many paid fire fighters in NZ. A lot of them are volunteers and many fire services - especially those in more rural/coastal areas away from any cities are majority run by volunteers.
NZ Fire Service always open to accept able bodied volunteers but it can take many years to be successful in a paid position.
hi thanks for replying

Although my father-in-law is a NZ citizen now, he wasn’t when my husband was brought back from NZ.. he was born here and moved to NZ when he was a few months old to join the rest of my father-in-laws family.
He came back at 2yrs and never knew anything about his father or his side of the family till he was 18 so we wouldn’t be able to go down that route I believe.
I been accepted to complete top up nursing degree so will complete it to make sure. Just wished I’d known earlier so didn’t have a tight timeline to finish.
I’ve already got a job offer to work for the same private company as I do here. I’m a dementia specialist and this is the field I want to continue in as it’s a big passion of mine.
My husband has been in the fire service for nearly 18 years, but is excited about having a new career. He’s also a trained mechanic and HVG driver but has expressed an interest in joining the police force😱.
Still don’t know if we are doing the right thing but having talked about it for years it’s now or never!
Hopefulnurse is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2019, 8:08 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Hopefulnurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurse qualifications and questions

Thanks Claire
Was a bit of a shock to see that my qualifications may not be enough. having been nursing for over 10 years and running my own department for the last couple of years, I just took it for granted they would accept. I guess the saying research, research, research is very true. I’m toying with the idea of just applying to to the NCNZ and see what happens while still doing the top up, as we may be able to come out sooner. Otherwise it’s wait till I get the results then apply and that will add another six months and my son will be in the middle of his GCSE.
Take care
Kerry
Hopefulnurse is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2019, 4:34 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 27
Clairemidwife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurse qualifications and questions

Originally Posted by Hopefulnurse View Post
Thanks Claire
Was a bit of a shock to see that my qualifications may not be enough. having been nursing for over 10 years and running my own department for the last couple of years, I just took it for granted they would accept. I guess the saying research, research, research is very true. I’m toying with the idea of just applying to to the NCNZ and see what happens while still doing the top up, as we may be able to come out sooner. Otherwise it’s wait till I get the results then apply and that will add another six months and my son will be in the middle of his GCSE.
Take care
Kerry
Good luck. My recommendation would Start looking at what you Need for registration etc. Mine took A long time to collect. At least there's no English tests to sit anymore! We are the same. Our life's been in limbo for many years and have took the decision now or never as the eldest is almost 14.
Clairemidwife is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 8:42 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
inkedneonurse's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2016
Location: Surrey
Posts: 501
inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurse qualifications and questions

Im a Diploma nurse and got my registration no problem our diploma (with at least 3 years experience) is classed as a level 7 qualification (im a lecturer in nursing now so had a proper look). The NZNC are very exacting in what they want so as suggested get the process started, most jobs will want you to be on the road to registration before they look at you
inkedneonurse is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 8:47 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
inkedneonurse's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2016
Location: Surrey
Posts: 501
inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurse qualifications and questions

Originally Posted by Clairemidwife View Post
Good luck. My recommendation would Start looking at what you Need for registration etc. Mine took A long time to collect. At least there's no English tests to sit anymore! We are the same. Our life's been in limbo for many years and have took the decision now or never as the eldest is almost 14.
no IELTS???? Bugger me hated doing that. In the sage advice of my wife OP just go for it they need nurses over here
inkedneonurse is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 8:49 am
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Hopefulnurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurse qualifications and questions

Hi thanks for the reply,
do you mind me asking when you moved.
im in the process of gathering all my documents and will apply,( whilst completing the top up degree) now and hope for the best ..
Kerry
Hopefulnurse is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 8:51 am
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
inkedneonurse's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2016
Location: Surrey
Posts: 501
inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurse qualifications and questions

Originally Posted by Hopefulnurse View Post
Hi thanks for the reply,
do you mind me asking when you moved.
im in the process of gathering all my documents and will apply,( whilst completing the top up degree) now and hope for the best ������..
Kerry

i moved in sept 2017, there is a thread of my timeline here called something like NZ a nurses journey
inkedneonurse is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 9:14 am
  #11  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 27
Clairemidwife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurse qualifications and questions

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse View Post


no IELTS???? Bugger me hated doing that. In the sage advice of my wife OP just go for it they need nurses over here
Nope! Thank goodness. It's the one thing I was dreading but not required.
Clairemidwife is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2019, 9:01 am
  #12  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 21
hayleystan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurse qualifications and questions

hi,
is it a diploma of higher education? I’m also a diploma nurse & gained NZ nursing registration fine. I also asked for a waiver on the English exam and that was obtained so I didn’t have to sit an English exam either
hayleystan is offline  
Old Aug 10th 2019, 8:13 am
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
Gill and Rob's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: NZ since 2003.
Posts: 1,430
Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurse qualifications and questions

Originally Posted by Hopefulnurse View Post
Hi thanks for the reply,
do you mind me asking when you moved.
im in the process of gathering all my documents and will apply,( whilst completing the top up degree) now and hope for the best ������..
Kerry

From what I gather the UK Diploma is still classed as equivalent to the NZ degree qualification

Gill
Gill and Rob is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.