Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nurse moving with children

Nurse moving with children

Old Nov 19th 2021, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Brisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurse moving with children

Originally Posted by Tom H
Think I read today that the median rent prices in Auckland is $600 per week

Looking at the average wage from the careers site, nurses with 7 years experience earn roughly between $62k to $77k. Senior registered nurses earn up to $130k. I'm not sure what your salary would be but going on a $75k salary (a rough estimate), at least half your weekly wage would go on rent leaving with approximately $600 of that week to get your food, cover your bills, school donations etc.

If you were on a $90k salary, it would be approximately an extra $100 per week ($700 in total).

I don't know what wages you'd hope to be getting but i'd be looking elsewhere than Auckland. Then again, everything down here has turned ridiculously expensive. Thanks to Aucklanders and Wellingtonians escaping to the South Island, properties round Canterbuy are almost double the amount they should be. Some of the dumps I've seen here are almost fetching $750,000. Rental prices as well have increased (about $550 per week I believe down here now on average).

Hope it works out for you.

Oh, It also may not be the place for your 16 year old. There's a reason why many Kiwis do the big O/E here (usually Europe or Australia).
I lived in Auckland from 2004-2006 and was paying $600 to rent a house that was damp and cold. God knows how much it would cost now.

Like me, I genuinely think most immigrants do not realize how expensive the cost of living is in New Zealand, especially Auckland. We tend to tune out the 'noise' from anyone who tries to tell us something we don't want to hear. Confirmation bias is an insidious thing.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Brisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom H
Think I read today that the median rent prices in Auckland is $600 per week

Looking at the average wage from the careers site, nurses with 7 years experience earn roughly between $62k to $77k. Senior registered nurses earn up to $130k. I'm not sure what your salary would be but going on a $75k salary (a rough estimate), at least half your weekly wage would go on rent leaving with approximately $600 of that week to get your food, cover your bills, school donations etc.

If you were on a $90k salary, it would be approximately an extra $100 per week ($700 in total).

I don't know what wages you'd hope to be getting but i'd be looking elsewhere than Auckland. Then again, everything down here has turned ridiculously expensive. Thanks to Aucklanders and Wellingtonians escaping to the South Island, properties round Canterbuy are almost double the amount they should be. Some of the dumps I've seen here are almost fetching $750,000. Rental prices as well have increased (about $550 per week I believe down here now on average).

Hope it works out for you.

Oh, It also may not be the place for your 16 year old. There's a reason why many Kiwis do the big O/E here (usually Europe or Australia).
I lived in Auckland from 2004-2006 and was paying $600 to rent a house that was damp and cold. God knows how much it would cost now.

I genuinely think most immigrants do not realize how expensive the cost of living is in New Zealand, especially Auckland, and how we tend to tune out the 'noise' from anyone who tries to tell us something we don't want to hear. Confirmation bias is an insidious thing.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Callie0109
Im sure this has been asked many times.
I am a Nurse moving to New Zealand next year (visa going through) with 2 children age 16 and 10.

Can a nurse live well on their wage? We are looking at Auckland area but open to suggestions.

I have been researching a lot. Some say it’s great some not so much. Some think it’s super expensive and others don’t. I just want to hear the experience of other nurses so im fully prepared
1. Yes. It is super expensive.
2. Don't move a 16 year old. Let them finish school.
3. Living well in New Zealand is a very different standard to living well in Britain. To live well in New Zealand you have to be wealthy, and/or mortgage/rent free.
Old Dec 25th 2021, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Kotirangi is an unknown quantity at this point

Im sure this has been asked many times.
I am a Nurse moving to New Zealand next year (visa going through) with 2 children age 16 and 10.

Can a nurse live well on their wage? We are looking at Auckland area but open to suggestions.

I have been researching a lot. Some say it’s great some not so much. Some think it’s super expensive and others don’t. I just want to hear the experience of other nurses so im
fully prepared
Hi, I think it would be very much a struggle to live and work on a nurses wage if you don't have some other income or substantial assets. I'm a nurse and the hourly rate is $39.87 regardless of where you work within a DHB ( District Health Board). Im not sure of private hospitals/clinics. There has been an ongoing dispute between DHBs and nursing unions for a number of years regarding pay and a pay equity. There is currently an "investigation" into pay regarding nursing being a female dominated proffesion Vs comparable professions which are male dominated with equal levels of education and responsibilitys as nursing. The outcome is expected early 2022. This does mean the annual salary will increase but the figure has nit been confirmed. The cost of living in NZ is rising rapidly! On my nurses wage alone in Auckland (32hrs a week, 8hr shifts in Outpatients so no additional shift allowances) allows me to pay rent and buy food for two adults and one child- almost nothing left over from a single income for extras and the quality of the house is not good. Good luck in what ever you decide.

Last edited by Kotirangi; Dec 25th 2021 at 8:12 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2021, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Perro is an unknown quantity at this point

that’s exactly right. It’s very difficult to work out.
We have a very active social life here and have land so it’s difficult to figure out. The holiday aspect is a difficult once as I know flights out of nz are expensive and we go away 3/4 times a year but i suppose will have a lot of exploring to do over there so won’t need to.
it’s difficult not knowing where everyone is from in the uk too as living in London costs are so high here for us anyway. Where as If people live in other areas it may hit harder moving to nz
I wasn’t aware there are Nurses on the streets there . I’ll look into that.
Always have the oz option I suppose.
NZ is hideously expensive, I mean really expensive, I first moved to Auckland 11 years ago, paid $475 a week for a 3 bed house/caravan type dwelling(another thing to get used to,) in browns bay, no double glazing, insulation or heating.I'd get up on a morning, run out to the deck to get dressed as it was warmer. Moved to Taupo, watched the widows ice over on the inside as winter approached, fitted double glazing throughout the house, That cost moonbeams, finally had enough there, moved to Hawkes Bay, still hideously expensive.
In 11 years here ive seen property, food etc go through the roof, wages stay pretty stagnant, so as others have already said, its a hard place to enjoy yourself with not so much cash, hard for kids too.
You mentioned a move to oz would be possible, I'd say go for oz, but I'm not you & don't know your reasons for wanting to wove to NZ, I knew ours, but its just too expensive, plus other things, so we're moving over to oz next year.
NZ has been a good experience, expensive, but good, but its not for everyone.
Old Dec 31st 2021, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perro
NZ is hideously expensive, I mean really expensive, I first moved to Auckland 11 years ago, paid $475 a week for a 3 bed house/caravan type dwelling(another thing to get used to,) in browns bay, no double glazing, insulation or heating.I'd get up on a morning, run out to the deck to get dressed as it was warmer. Moved to Taupo, watched the widows ice over on the inside as winter approached, fitted double glazing throughout the house, That cost moonbeams, finally had enough there, moved to Hawkes Bay, still hideously expensive.
In 11 years here ive seen property, food etc go through the roof, wages stay pretty stagnant, so as others have already said, its a hard place to enjoy yourself with not so much cash, hard for kids too.
You mentioned a move to oz would be possible, I'd say go for oz, but I'm not you & don't know your reasons for wanting to wove to NZ, I knew ours, but its just too expensive, plus other things, so we're moving over to oz next year.
NZ has been a good experience, expensive, but good, but its not for everyone.
In fairness you can probably find similar issues across the globe now and quite a few people I know have experienced the same in other countries.
A lot of people have left Australia in recent years and complained it's too expensive, then I have friends who live in Germany who say housing is unaffordable and wages low. When we moved to Ireland 10 years ago it was very cheap to buy property but those who are renting today/looking to buy struggle and only see prices go up. When I hear $475 a week for a 3 bed house/caravan type dwelling it's bloody expensive but others would think that's cheap. In Jersey Channel Islands that would be considered luxury and a bargain at that price and people often earn less. A lot depends on timing, exact location and people's profession. At least here anyone who is a good plumber or electrician will make a fortune with the right business plan and attitude right now. A business set up like I have seen in Germany just doesn't exist and hardly any competition. I'd say most people on an average wage and renting right now will rarely think life is cheaper than 10 years ago.

Last edited by Moses2013; Dec 31st 2021 at 1:51 pm.