British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Nurse just starting process to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nurse-just-starting-process-nz-596191/)

Numptyhead Mar 8th 2009 2:13 pm

Nurse just starting process to NZ

Hi Folks,

I've been around this site for a while........have done so much research I'm giddy with it........but a lot more still to do.

Just want to say Hi and introduce myself...also OH and DD (12years)
We have finally decided to go for it...by that I mean pursue PR in NZ. (Without a reccie!!)

We are rural folk living down in Cornwall. Gorgeous country. We don't dislike the UK, we just want a lifestyle change before we get too old and lose the nerve. Also want a better life for our DH. Not looking to make mega bucks...which is a good job cos I know I won't!

Right now, we are looking at possibly Wairarapa, or north of the South Island possibly down to Christchurch. Somewhere that real estate is not too expensive.

I'm a nurse so the first thing I have to do is sort my NZ registration out....OMG from the 1st Jan 2009 all overseas applicants apart from Ausssies....must pass an IELTS Academic English Test. Nevermind that my degree states it was taken in English. I'm taking mine in Plymouth on the 18th April...bl***y hell, I hope I pass. When you are English speaking its something you just take for granted...:eek: Score must be grade 7 or above. Cost is £105 to take it.....so the robbing begins!

We breed Pug dogs in our spare time and are going to bring 3 dogs out with us. How we will do this logistically, with renting initially and dog phobic landlords....right now I have no idea?

Anyway just saying hello really!

janeyk Mar 9th 2009 3:59 am

Re: Nurse just starting process to NZ

Hiya
We are from Cornwall too! you will love it over here we lived between Liskeard and Launceston Now Wellington and love it. I also work in Health(Finance) (worked in NHS for 20 yrs) the attitude over here is so different, You will find a lot of DHB's do not advertise all their roles as they will not go to the expense it is worth contacting the DHB's in the areas you areas interested in as a CV on spec may produce fruit!
good luck

owen Mar 9th 2009 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Numptyhead (Post 7356901)
OMG from the 1st Jan 2009 all overseas applicants apart from Ausssies....must pass an IELTS Academic English Test. Nevermind that my degree states it was taken in English. I'm taking mine in Plymouth on the 18th April...bl***y hell, I hope I pass. When you are English speaking its something you just take for granted...:eek: Score must be grade 7 or above. Cost is £105 to take it.....so the robbing begins!

It also works vice versa now, NZers registering with NMC need to pass an english test too. Tit for tat, and the NMC started it!!!

As for cost, unfortunately everyone will want their cut, bloody expensive emigrating!!

Good Luck

Numptyhead Mar 9th 2009 8:43 am

Originally Posted by janeyk (Post 7358465)
Hiya
We are from Cornwall too! you will love it over here we lived between Liskeard and Launceston Now Wellington and love it. I also work in Health(Finance) (worked in NHS for 20 yrs) the attitude over here is so different, You will find a lot of DHB's do not advertise all their roles as they will not go to the expense it is worth contacting the DHB's in the areas you areas interested in as a CV on spec may produce fruit!
good luck

Thank you. Thats a good point. Will keep it in mind when I'm onto the next step.
Is there anything you miss? We are in Truro by the way and it is so cold....lol!

Proper Job!....I bet you don't miss the accent!
Well I need a cup of tea....not dreckley....I want one NOW:D

Numptyhead Mar 9th 2009 8:51 am

Originally Posted by owen (Post 7358504)
It also works vice versa now, NZers registering with NMC need to pass an english test too. Tit for tat, and the NMC started it!!!

As for cost, unfortunately everyone will want their cut, bloody expensive emigrating!!

Good Luck

I'm not surprised....NMC can be hard work and sooooo slow.

I was totting up the costs yesterday....and thats the stuff I only know about and its scary how much it will actually cost just to get over there. I'm not really moaning, just trying to keep abreast of the true picture of emigration;)

janeyk Mar 9th 2009 6:19 pm

Hi Numpty
do you work in the NHS then I worked for the last 5 years for the PCT (NEC then CIOS) do not miss that at all! good luck

Numptyhead Mar 10th 2009 8:13 am

Hi

Just got in from a night shift....sooo tired. I work for an agency so I do a bit of everything. Mainly work at Treliske though. Management is no better. Moral is just dreadful. I am lucky....I walk in...do my shift....and walk back out...no politics.....no stress. Incidentally it costs £10.10 ($28ish NZ to park overnight at the hospital)...each night...mental!

BEVS Mar 11th 2009 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Numptyhead (Post 7356901)
Hi Folks,

We are rural folk living down in Cornwall. Gorgeous country. We don't dislike the UK, we just want a lifestyle change before we get too old and lose the nerve. Also want a better life for our DH. Not looking to make mega bucks...which is a good job cos I know I won't!

Anyway just saying hello really!

Hello :p i think with the above attitude , you'll be right ;)

Welcome to this little NZ forum . Get posting. Happy Days and have some valuable karma to get you started.:)

ps

Love your avatar. The dogs look adorable. :wub:

Numptyhead Mar 11th 2009 8:58 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 7366288)
Hello :p i think with the above attitude , you'll be right ;)

Welcome to this little NZ forum . Get posting. Happy Days and have some valuable karma to get you started.:)

ps

Love your avatar. The dogs look adorable. :wub:

Hellooo

oooohhh....thanks for the karma.....it feels lovely!!

They were my last litter and such fun to have around

As time ticks on I will post more but right now there is a wealth of information on here.....Thanks to all the lovely people who have posted in the past :thumbsup:

pricklykina Mar 11th 2009 10:00 am

Something I recently learned about dogs...Some councils here have restrictions yn the amount of dogs you can have on a property. EG in Auckland you can only have one dog...then you must get permission from all of your adjoining neighbours to get another dog. Varies council to council though

Numptyhead Mar 11th 2009 10:17 am

Originally Posted by pricklykina (Post 7366883)
Something I recently learned about dogs...Some councils here have restrictions yn the amount of dogs you can have on a property. EG in Auckland you can only have one dog...then you must get permission from all of your adjoining neighbours to get another dog. Varies council to council though

Yeah, I heard something similar. I think we will have to rent a rural place (Farm) pretty much from the start as there is no way we are going to be able to house 3 dogs...albeit little ones, right from the start. Its my biggest worry over the whole move, but I am sure we will be able to sort something out. Our worse case scenario is that they have to stay in the UK (with good friends)until we buy our place in NZ....but I would hate that....mind you, so would they!
So much to sort out but just taking one day at a time. Thank you for the post;)