British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Nurse with driving instructor partner query (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nurse-driving-instructor-partner-query-855528/)

Saznz Mar 29th 2015 11:19 pm

Nurse with driving instructor partner query

Hello :)
My husband and I are starting to research a move from the UK to NZ and trying our best to save up.
We are early 40's with 3 teenage children. We want to be realistic about the work opportunities available . We want to move in 2 years when our 2 eldest have finished their degrees over here and the youngest will be ready to start college or an appretntiship.
My background is as a teaching assistant but I will qualify next year as an adult nurse . I am hopeful that after a year working in the UK I will be able to secure a full time position . However my husband is an experienced driving instructor with no other formal qualifications other than GCSE's and an a practitioner in NLP. I am less hopeful about his job prospects in NZ and potential earnings . Are driving instructors in demand in NZ and does anyone know how much they earn ? I think we will both need to earn the equivalent of 20k a year in order to live comfortably . Are there any qualifications or courses he could be doing over the next 2 years to make him more employable in an alternative career over in NZ?
I have also been researching areas which are primarily based on our preference for warm weather . Therefore would like to be based either in Hawkes Bay, Nelson or perhaps Christchurch but have to balance desirable area with a house budget of only £225k and potential for job opportunities. However my knowledge is limited at the moment so would be very grateful for any suggestions or advice .
Thanks in advance

lisamct Mar 29th 2015 11:37 pm

Re: Nurse with driving instructor partner query

Might be worth having a look at the NZ Nursing council site, I think they may have changed their requirements and you now need 2 years UK experience before you can register as a nurse here in NZ.

Snap Shot Mar 30th 2015 12:26 am

https://jobs.govt.nz/jobtools/jncust...D+Wanganui%22+

This vacancy is for a driving instructor. OK, not your preferred location but at least it's an over view of one vacancy in his industry.

I have sent you a pm Saznz

MrsFychan Mar 30th 2015 1:07 am

to become a driving instructor you need to of held a NZ driving licence for 2 years within the classification you want to teach and then complete a course.
I endorsements: How to become a driving instructor (Factsheet 5) | NZ Transport Agency

to become a nurse you have to be diploma level and practising for at least 2years
"All overseas nurses applying for registration must have:

current registration with an overseas regulatory authority
successfully completed of a nursing programme that is, in the Nursing Council’s opinion, equivalent to a three-year bachelor degree programme in nursing and at level 7 on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework
two years post-registration nursing practice (of at least 2500 hours) within the five years immediately before the date of the application
if directed by the Nursing Council, completed a Nursing Council-approved competence assessment programme."

taken from Assessment of overseas nurses | Ministry of Health NZ

Persephone Mar 30th 2015 1:42 am

Hello and welcome,
Are you planning on your children coming over with you? You mentioned that you would apply after two of them have finished degrees; there is an age limit on dependent children which they could potentially go over if they do a 5 year degree.
http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/knowledgebase/item/1176
Another factor is that that time at university may change their plans and they may wish to remain in the UK of course.

Others have mentioned the registration requirements for nurses so you would need to be able to fulfil these. Currently only certain categories of nurses are on the Long Term Skills Shortage List but this could well change by the time you apply. It is probable that you'll need a job offer to be able to get a visa given what you've written above whether on the LTSSL or not.
Driving instructors are classed as skilled but not in shortage, however they don't seem common over here and are very rarely seen [which explains the poor driving standards, plenty of threads on that on here;):eek:]
Hope this helps
P:)

Saznz Mar 30th 2015 6:53 am

Thank you very much for the replies andlinks...very useful :thumbsup:

I hadn't realised the hubby would need to hold a NZ licence for 2 yrs prior to instructing...that is a shame.Can he apply for a licence before we come out ..from the UK?

I am doing the Nursing degree and suspected I may have to work as a nurse for a longer period here....oh well , it will soon fly by !

I also forgot to say that our 2 eldest are very much planning on coming with us but like you say that could change once they have their degrees. It would be very difficult to leave without them.

Lots to think about. I will keep on researching . Thanks again :)

P.S I cant get your link to work Persephone. Can you tell me the age limit for dependent children if you don't mind ?

Snap Shot Mar 30th 2015 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Saznz (Post 11606239)
I hadn't realised the hubby would need to hold a NZ licence for 2 yrs prior to instructing...that is a shame.Can he apply for a licence before we come out ..from the UK?

You can exchange your UK driving licence for an NZ one when you get to NZ. Just go along to the local AA office in NZ. You can fill in a form, pay the fee, have your photo taken, take a sight test and the NZ licence is yours. You get a slip of paper with your nz driving licence number on it straightaway and your photo licence in the post a few days later.

You don't have to have your home address on the licence the NZ police don't insist on it, some prefer not to have it for personal security reasons.

MrsFychan Mar 30th 2015 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Saznz (Post 11606241)
I also forgot to say that our 2 eldest are very much planning on coming with us but like you say that could change once they have their degrees. It would be very difficult to leave without them.

Lots to think about. I will keep on researching . Thanks again :)

requirements for dependent children:

be single (i.e not in a partnership)
be in good health
be of good character
be totally or substantially dependent on an adult for financial support (whether or not that adult is your parent, and whether or not you are living with that adult) except if you are aged 21 to 24 . Applicants aged 20 or younger are eligible for residence as dependent children whether financially dependent or not.

You may be asked for evidence of financial dependence
If you are aged 21 to 24 years you may be asked to provide evidence that you are dependent on an adult for financial support.
If you are aged 18 to 20 years, not married, in a civil union or in a de facto relationship, and have no child)ren) of your own, you are presumed to be dependent on an adult for financial support and will not be asked for evidence.
If you are aged 17 years or younger, not married, in a civil union or in a de facto relationship, you are presumed to be dependent on an adult for financial support and will not be asked for evidence.

Saznz Mar 30th 2015 10:43 am

Thanks again for taking the time out to answer :)