Nurse

Old Dec 21st 2014, 11:38 am
Just Joined

solonurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nurse

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know the pay difference between private and public pay in nz?

I can find Meca easily but I cannot find any info about southern cross nurse pay even though they say that they offer a competitive pay.

please help by pointing me in the right direction,

Thanks
Old Dec 21st 2014, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice
Default Re: Nurse

This may help in your search... Govt must close gap between private and public sector pay | Scoop News
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason jobs here don't seem to display salaries. I reckon between 25 and 35 dollars an hour dependent on penal rates and experience wouldn't be too far off. The only way to actually find out would be to apply and get interviewed.

Just as a heads up the MECA is currently being renegotiated.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 8:29 am
Just Joined

many thanks to you Snaps and LauraNotts.

Am soon planning to move but was not sure of the differences between the two.

In most countries private pay way less but it is a surprise that someone may get more pay in NZ considering the lack of weekend and nights. will investigate more.....
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Solo, do you have your registration sorted yet? Whereabouts were you thinking of moving to
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
Solo, do you have your registration sorted yet? Whereabouts were you thinking of moving to
Hi LauraNotts, I have just got my registration, took a long time but was ok since am not in a hurry.

Am thinking more of Auckland area since there seems to be more hospitals. Just cant decide on whether to go private or public.

Since am on my own, I am doing heaps of research as I dont want to regret...lol.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cool I came out by myself, used an agency to get my first job but got my second myself and love it. How long have you been qualified? I ended up in Christchurch and have never regretted it. Auckland is a bit too spread out for me.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Been qualified 4 years, I just read somewhere about essential skills being 5 years experience for peri op nurse. I better put an application thru then before march next year.........i would like work visa first tho so i can have a feel before i fully commit.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
One of the difficulties at the moment is that NZ new graduate nurses are not finding jobs and so you may have difficulty finding a job and getting a visa. There is also a push to employ NZ graduates who have completed a 1 year "New Graduate year" in to year 2 posts. The employer may have to prove that there is not a NZ nurse who can do the job you are applying for. Gone also is the day when employers would wait months and months for an applicant to arrive from overseas as there is so many applicants already here from which to recruit. There is often as many as 150 nurses who apply to each vacancy at the District Health Board where I work.

Good luck with your job search.

Gill
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou Gill

It is good that they are doing that. It was hard or me when I graduated 4 years ago so i can understand. Times change.......we are so so short now......I might have to stay put 4 a bit and wait........will see.

I know that I dont want to deny or take someone elses job that's 4 sure!!
Old Dec 27th 2014, 2:28 am
Just Joined

lostdirection is an unknown quantity at this point

Gill and Rob are correct. There is an overwhelming amount of nurses looking for work here nowadays. The universities and colleges churn them out as no one is allowed to fail, regardless of their competency to practice.

As an allied health worker, I work in the private sector and find my salary is less than my peers working in the government sector. Registering with an agency can sometimes provide a higher salary but perhaps at a cost of moving around a lot? Auckland is where most people head but the quality of rental poor for what you can afford on a nurses salary. Flat sharing would be your only option.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lostdirection
Gill and Rob are correct. There is an overwhelming amount of nurses looking for work here nowadays. The universities and colleges churn them out as no one is allowed to fail, regardless of their competency to practice.
Do you have any evidence to support that statement re nurses being able to pass / practice regardless of competence? Only I know of a couple of nursing students who have failed either uni or state exams & therefore not being able to register or find work as a registered nurse. I also know of more than a few who have passed & registered but been unable to find work due to a shortage of new graduate programmes. I find your comment a little offensive to the huge numbers of nurses who work jolly hard to get through the bachelor of nursing programme & am really interested to know where you get your information from.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 10:10 am
Just Joined

My information came directly from a qualified nurse who admitted she herself had not put any real effort into gaining her nursing degree and was 'helped' to achieve it. I had no reason to doubt her as I have witnessed poor practice in hospitals for myself, as has my partner with many years DHB experience.

But if you know of two students who did fail, then I stand corrected and will willingly amend my post accordingly. (and take it up with my nurse friend later).

I have no issue with nurses and am well aware there are many hard working students and nurses out there. But it would be foolish to believe every qualified nurse or health practitioner is highly skilled. I have tutored final year students here who would not pass their first year of university in the UK. I have watched at least one student supervisor mark someone up to ensure a pass. And constructive feedback I gave to another supervisor on her student was not mentioned in the final report.

In 2002 NCEAs, a credit point system, replaced School Certificate, University Entrance, Sixth Form Certificate and University Bursary qualifications. Since then, more students than ever before are leaving school with qualifications, only to find they are lacking educationally in the real world. Universities have already spoken out saying high school students are coming to them under-prepared and with a poor work ethic. They state students with an "achieved" grade did not do well in tertiary study, and many would have had a "fail" grade under the old system. Consequently many students,including nursing students, find they are indeed unprepared and have to work twice as hard to meet basic course requirements. Sadly not all succeed.

If you find my comments a little offensive, that is your prerogative. I say it as I see it based on personal experiences.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 10:18 am
Just Joined

It would appear I am unable to edit my previous post about nurses not being allowed to fail.

All I can do is repeat that this is an incorrect statement based on information given to me by what I believed to be a reliable source.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Dandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond repute

From what Lost direction states you should have a good chance of getting a job then if you are UK trained!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.