Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NQ Midwife, thinking of relocating to NZ

NQ Midwife, thinking of relocating to NZ

Old Jul 31st 2012, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

WhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond repute
Question NQ Midwife, thinking of relocating to NZ

Hi Everyone I hope someone can help me out. I am looking for advice, pointers and warnings as well as the practical where to look and what needs to be done!

I qualified as a midwife in the UK in January, and as yet haven't found work. I am now revisiting an idea I had before I started my training but thought would be more likely with some experience under my belt. However, I am worried if I leave it much longer without working I will have LESS experience then I do now (IYSWIM).

I am starting to seriously look into moving myself and my family to New Zealand to work. However, as I am just starting out, I have no idea where to go, or what sorts of things need to be considered.

I guess what I need is to look for a job (where's best to do that?), I need to look at immigration requirements (any tips?), I need to consider if additional training is needed (how much does it cost and how do I do it?) as well as possible relocation assistance (is there such a thing?) and where in New Zealand should I look to go (not fussy I don't think).

Basically I am starting from scratch with the whole research thing and would definitely benefit from some insight from those that have been there done that!

Thanks
Old Jul 31st 2012, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

karin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NQ Midwife, thinking of relocating to NZ

Hi
I'm a nurse not a midwife, but am working towards moving to NZ, I applied for a job I fround in my theatre magazine, and then went on line, and looked at immigration, I basically filled out the EOI and discovered that if I got a definet job I would have enough points to start immigration, so while I waiting for references have had 1 interview, possibly 2nd once references in I have started on my nursing registration for NZ again this is all on line. Hope this helps you, I am still working on mine, my IELTS was the most difficult, but I have heard from 2 midwifes and they didnt need it, but check it out, let me know if I can help any more, by the way my job is in Auckland.
All the best Karen
Old Jul 31st 2012, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello & welcome to our cosy NZ forums Jellybe4n. Congratulations on qualifying as a midwife, feels great doesn't it . Sorry you can't get a post in Blighty & I understand your worries of becoming deskilled.

I used to work as a midwife in NZ until 2009. I personally don't like the maternity system here but then I'd been qualified a good while before coming here & I didn't like the practices I witnessed here. However, I think it's easier to settle in here if you haven't been qualified too long or have just qualified. There are a few midwives on here that have gone through the process or are currently going through it. I'm sure they'll be only to happy to help you.

Firstly, you need to start the registation process with the NZ Midwifery Council www.midwiferycouncil.health.nz lots of information on their site.

Then you will need to apply for a skilled migrant visa. In the meantime you can start looking for jobs. Some people use an agency for this, others like myself look on the District Health Board's (DHB's) websites.

I only looked at Auckland because that's where hubby had a job, so it narrowed my opportunities somewhat.

You have a couple of courses to complete in the first 18 months of working here & you can't become a Lead Maternity Carer (LMC) in that time. The courses are usually paid for by your DHB. If you work for someone like Geneva, then you have to pay for them yourself

HTH
Old Aug 1st 2012, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Hi WhatToDo82...Im guess you're who I think you are so I've just sent you lots of info on Facebook...just popping on to say 'Hi" and that I'm here too!
Lisa
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

thepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nice

Hi WhatToDo82 - if Lisa's sent you loads of info then there's probably not much more I can add! The only thing I came accross is the experience thing - you get extra points on your EOI for experience and the jobs I applied for did want at least 1 years experience (that may be because I've applied out of the big cities for hospital jobs so they wouldn't offer a preceptorship programm like you get in the UK for consolidation and progression to band 6) - maybe if you go for one of the big cities where there are several middy's on each shift this won't be so much of an issue.

Like Lisa I used Tonix, but also applied direct for one job that I liked the look of - the service with Tonix was good and I managed to get a job offer on my terms with a relocation package (not massive, but a helping hand).

Registration is definitley the first thing to do - you have a piece to write on cultural competence that makes you feel like you're back at Uni!

Good luck and keep us updated
Old Aug 1st 2012, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

WhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your replies, that is loads to give me something to do for a while!

Yes, Lisa, it's me *wave* I got your bits on facebook, very handy and interesting, hopefully have a chance to start looking through next week. I'm using the weekend as a potential cooling off period!

Hmm, big city it will have to be then. Not quite sure where mind you, but I seem strangely and unexplainably drawn to Auckland... Don't know why, but it might be a good thing moving to a big place first anyway.

I will have to look at that agency for sure. Will definitely keep you all updated, whatever I decide. First thoughts are, if I go for it, aim for January or February next year... Plenty of time then
Old Aug 1st 2012, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

Definitely get in touch with Kate Natrass at Tonix, but be prepared that a lot of units ask for 1 or 2 years experience. Where in the UK are you? There are always vacancies cropping up in Yorkshire (there'll be another one in January).

Your initial registration will cost you NZ$1000, I've spend about £700 so far on registration, police checks, NMC verification, solicitors for ID document verification, and Uni for a transcript. All this is to register but worth it in long run.

I wish you best of British xx
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Well Tonix have said no can do, need at least 12months experience first. I have responded to their email so we shall see.

I am in the South West. I moved here for uni (with kids) and to be honest, I am not prepared to move again for 12 months just to move to New Zealand after.
Looks like I'm going to be on my own sorting it all. Gulp.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

The situation with midwifery jobs in the UK really frustrates me. It's all over the press that there's a national shortage of midwives, yet you go into any shop and you'll usually find a midwife working there who an't get employed due to lack of jobs/funding.

I didn't see any posts advertised that didn't requre at least 1 years experience. I totally understand you not wanting to move twice but it may be that or no NZ. I really hope something comes up for you, either in South-East or for NQ in NZ. Were you direct entry or 18month conversion? Xx
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Coming over newly qualified is definitely doable. I've worked with a couple of girls who came over from the UK straight from qualifying and joined the new grad programme here so had the same rotation and the same support as the NZ qualified new grads.
Probably like a lot of things job wise over here it's a case of actually contacting the midwifery managers of the hospitals and just tying your luck. The process of getting jobs, interviews etc is a lot less formal here so often it's just a case of calling around or emailing people rather than jobs being actually advertised.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Ooh, I might send my CV to a few places then, but would prefer the advise and support that a requirement agency can provide.

Many thanks too xxx
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

thepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nice

As Lisa said you don't need to use an agency - I applied for a couple of posts advertised in one hospital without going through the agency, just went on the DHB website and downloaded application forms - they offered an interview so you can do it yourself. Good luck x
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Hmmm, yes it's a tricky one. I too like the idea of the support and agency can offer, but if I have to find a placement myself, so be it I guess.

Much thought and decision making going on at the moment, together with the boyfriend. A few possible options have cropped up. My registration is now official, just need my PIN card now!

If we do decide to go ahead, I guess I will need to formulate a letter to email to the hospitals begging for a graduate programme place. Gulp.