British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Now then. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/now-then-462744/)

Dave-G Jul 1st 2007 5:04 pm

Now then.

Hi all.
My name is Dave (38) and I am married to Sophie (36) and have two boys (6 and 12). We are currently living with the mother in law' in Hull East Yorkshire after selling our house a couple of months ago. I have been a printer since leaving school and we have submitted our EOI, 115 points without a job offer, and have had our medicals. I plan to go to NZ on my own initially in mid to late July as a visitor to find a job. I have been in contact with a few employment agencies in the hope of getting a job but really need to be there to secure one.

frattonlad Jul 1st 2007 5:07 pm

Re: Now then.

Welcome to you all.
Trev, er indoors is Sam and 2 children Freddie 3 (Nearly 4) and Lewis 17 months here.

happynz Jul 1st 2007 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Dave-G (Post 4994464)
I plan to go to NZ on my own initially in mid to late July as a visitor to find a job. I have been in contact with a few employment agencies in the hope of getting a job but really need to be there to secure one.

Good plan.

:thumbup:

Good luck with that.

just sam Jul 1st 2007 6:57 pm

we were thinking along the same lines, hubby goes out and gets job secured , we are a fair way off that yet though house to sell etc. good luck with your plans, let us know how it goes. sam:thumbsup:

Sue Jul 5th 2007 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Dave-G (Post 4994464)
Hi all.
My name is Dave (38) and I am married to Sophie (36) and have two boys (6 and 12). We are currently living with the mother in law' in Hull East Yorkshire after selling our house a couple of months ago. I have been a printer since leaving school and we have submitted our EOI, 115 points without a job offer, and have had our medicals. I plan to go to NZ on my own initially in mid to late July as a visitor to find a job. I have been in contact with a few employment agencies in the hope of getting a job but really need to be there to secure one.

Hi Dave, Welcome to our little corner of the internet.

Dave-G Jul 5th 2007 11:40 pm

Hey...you kids

Thanks to everyone for been so nice. I think the hardest thing about all this will be leaving the family at home:thumbdown:Any of you done this and come out of the mangle unscathed?

dicknlyn Jul 6th 2007 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Dave-G (Post 5015143)
Hey...you kids

Thanks to everyone for been so nice. I think the hardest thing about all this will be leaving the family at home:thumbdown:Any of you done this and come out of the mangle unscathed?

Hi Dave. Welcome aboard.

We've all done it! Whether we have come out unscathed is a question we will all have different answers to. I left my dad, sis, two daughters and all their families too when we came here in 2004. I've not been back. It was a quick decision but one I have no regrets about. The family in the UK still talk to me!

I'm a graphic designer and as such I may be able to compile a list of printers in the Wellington area which you could contact directly perhaps.

I can't wave any magic wands but let me know if you are interested.
I also have a mate who works at a print house... he may have some contacts, but he's in Canada till the end of July.

Richard

happynz Jul 6th 2007 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Dave-G (Post 5015143)
Hey...you kids

Yup, in 1999 I toughed it out for six months in Thailand for six months while my wife and daughter went to the US. Tough, eh? :D
Three months in 2002 after I first arrived in New Zealand, nine months over 2004 and 2005 when they both went back to the US to take care of some personal family business, and recently I was in California for three and a half months for some work reasons. We're alright. Just have to take it day by day.

Dave-G Jul 7th 2007 9:12 am

Originally Posted by dicknlyn (Post 5015228)
Hi Dave. Welcome aboard.!

I'm a graphic designer and as such I may be able to compile a list of printers in the Wellington area which you could contact directly perhaps.

I can't wave any magic wands but let me know if you are interested.
I also have a mate who works at a print house... he may have some contacts, but he's in Canada till the end of July.

Richard

Hi there Richard.

That would be a great help and would appreciate it very much. Coincidentally I applied for a job at a printers in Lower Hutt through the 'Seek' website but they didn't want anyone from overseas, another reason for coming to NZ.
If you could do a list you could email it to me if thats OK? I'll have a go at sending you a PM. Never do that before.
Cheers
Dave

BEVS Jul 9th 2007 11:30 pm

Hi Dave
and welcome to this forum. May your NZ dreams come true ;)