Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Now for the most important question

Now for the most important question

Old May 3rd 2007, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Professional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to all
Default Now for the most important question

BEER!

Ive lived in the US and Australia - and found the choice and quality of beer to vary considerably from place to place. By far the worst place - Texas - basically had a choice of Bud - or Texas brewed: Shiner Bock (which was disgusting).
Australia was not too bad - while not as much choice as the UK, there were some decent brews (not Castlemaine XXXX, or Fosters of course!)
How is New Zealand?
Any decent local breweries, or plenty of imported goodness?
Old May 3rd 2007, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now for the most important question

Originally Posted by Professional_Gypsy
BEER!

Ive lived in the US and Australia - and found the choice and quality of beer to vary considerably from place to place. By far the worst place - Texas - basically had a choice of Bud - or Texas brewed: Shiner Bock (which was disgusting).
Australia was not too bad - while not as much choice as the UK, there were some decent brews (not Castlemaine XXXX, or Fosters of course!)
How is New Zealand?
Any decent local breweries, or plenty of imported goodness?
Lion Red!
Old May 3rd 2007, 6:51 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Speights, Tui

Monteiths (nice). Mac's

Lots of NZ beers.

Guinness and Murphy's in lots of places, Tetley's, Boddington's, belgian beers, all sorts.

There's lots of places to get a good choice of beer in Wellington at least.

There's one place that has about 200 beers on tap. Some interesting ones too

Though I think they server the Guinness too cold.
Old May 3rd 2007, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

You can't get the true real ales here, but where other than UK can you? Apart form that, as Rob says (thanks for the exhaustive research) the range isn't bad. Some of the traditional NZ brews (Lion Red, DB Draught) are IMHO, awful, but they're popular!
Old May 3rd 2007, 7:01 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
...(thanks for the exhaustive research)...
Old May 3rd 2007, 8:39 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my god, beer is my holy water, I love beer more than life its self. So I suggest Speights (golden and Old Dark), or Monteiths. Beautiful. Love it, best beer in the world.
Old May 3rd 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Can't wait to do my own 'market research' if and when I get over there!!

What about cider!!!
Old May 3rd 2007, 8:52 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
Can't wait to do my own 'market research' if and when I get over there!!

What about cider!!!
Cider?? What are you 16 or something?!! YUK!
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

I wish!

I know, I know, makes me sound like a live on a park bench with suspect bottle in brown paper bag!
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Littletoe
Cider?? What are you 16 or something?!! YUK!
Oi you I drink cider I wish I was 16 again though...i didnt get hangovers then

in answer to the original question they have several different types

Harvest...crap shite in my book
Emerald - is ok, a cheapish cider
and brightstone, they do a classic and a dry version, this is my own opinion is the nicest
Bulmers - this is ok
strongbow- have only ever been able to get this in speakers corner (brit pub in browns bay)...this is what I used to drink in the uk so its nice to be able to get it occassionally here
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ooooh good! Any doubts about a move to NZ are now erased!

I do prefer Strongbow myself, not a fan of any sweet ciders or Blackthorn (YUK!).

What are the prices of lager, cider, etc.. if we were to go to a pub in NZ??!!
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:29 pm
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
You can't get the true real ales here, but where other than UK can you? Apart form that, as Rob says (thanks for the exhaustive research) the range isn't bad. Some of the traditional NZ brews (Lion Red, DB Draught) are IMHO, awful, but they're popular!
No you can! Imported from the UK. If you live in Welly they have an excellent real ale selection at Regional Wines and the new world island bay/waterfront is good.

If you want a decent local oz brew try coopers pale ale. Like Mcquirries as well. There are loads of fairly good micro breweries in NZ. Montheiths is pretty shit I think. Mac's copper top is ok.

Hmm what time is it?
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Ooooh good! Any doubts about a move to NZ are now erased!

I do prefer Strongbow myself, not a fan of any sweet ciders or Blackthorn (YUK!).

What are the prices of lager, cider, etc.. if we were to go to a pub in NZ??!!
ok we frequent a place called breakers which is a bar and the cider (bulmers) is $5 a pint and the other half who is a Lion Red/Tui or export gold they usually are about $4.50 or $5 a glass (now the glass is not quite a pint) now the reason the cider is a pint is because (or i think it is) the bar only opened in december and I suspect they got promotional glasses from Bulmers so probably when they are all broken etc then will probably get the normal size beer glass which is not quite a pint

Cider to be honest is not always widely available in pubs, some have it some dont, but is generally available to buy in liquor stores
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am very sad to report that the price of a pint is now around £2.90 in the UK!!
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am very sad to report that the price of a pint is now around £2.90 in the UK!!
*faints in shock*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.