British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Is now a good time to move to NZ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/now-good-time-move-nz-550881/)

Jokerman Jul 24th 2008 2:47 am

Is now a good time to move to NZ?

Would you seriously recommend anyone to move here at this time? I remember when I first arrived we were going through a boom, property prices were sky-rocketing, jobs were plentiful (but still incredibly hard to get without "kiwi-experience") and there was a buzz that NZ was a good place to be post 911. Now, the economy seems to be in tatters and.....I don't feel any of those positives, anymore. More and more kiwis are leaving for Australia, more people are whinging about : grocery prices, house costs, jobs, the police, the hospital service, corruption in high places, etc etc. :eek:

lapsed kiwi Jul 24th 2008 3:21 am

Re: Is now a good time to move to NZ?

It's still a beautiful place to live; the climate is still heaps better than UK's; arguably it's easier to get a decent house for a decent price (and even cheaper to rent); the unemployment rate is very low; interest rates are on the way down

I can't get too excited about Winston Peters' donations; most of the other problems are global ones.

So I'd say it's as good a time as any. I think the biggest problem for most people will be selling their UK house

Fooferfish Jul 24th 2008 3:53 am

@0 years ago, would have been a good time ha ah, when is a good time, or bad time, we to came out in 05 things were good, yeh the economy is is shite st, more finance companies going down the drain, there has always been a 5 year cycle in NZ, goes flat and then 5 years goes up, if you look at it this way, the more that leave for OZ will result in more jobs and work for us, i have started my own business last Nov and whilst wife is at UNI till nov, big decision as only one wage coming in, but i am still hard at it and getting more and more work every week, i think in this present climate, being able to diverse is the name of the game,to many Kiwis just do one job, have blinkers on and wont do other jobs , i have combined all my Trade skills and will turn my hand to most jobs, some Trades i know will not do other stuff and say " its not my job".

But hey NZ is an easier place to live in even if its going slow, even Uk is in shite st, so where would you rather be, easier to sustain and cut down in NZ, not so much pressure on got to beat the Jones's.

And as they say here " she'll be right" " it'll come good"

danny.f Jul 24th 2008 4:23 am

Recession is often a good time to move-but having been here 19 months,I'd say just do it,anyway. Wait a couple of weeks though. Flight into Wellington is proper dodgy with this wind!:p

howden40 Jul 24th 2008 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Jokerman (Post 6604192)
Would you seriously recommend anyone to move here at this time? I remember when I first arrived we were going through a boom, property prices were sky-rocketing, jobs were plentiful (but still incredibly hard to get without "kiwi-experience") and there was a buzz that NZ was a good place to be post 911. Now, the economy seems to be in tatters and.....I don't feel any of those positives, anymore. More and more kiwis are leaving for Australia, more people are whinging about : grocery prices, house costs, jobs, the police, the hospital service, corruption in high places, etc etc. :eek:

Yep NZ has it's problems but it also has benefits, low income you can grow your own vegies all year which saves an awful lot, at present I spend about $40 - $50 a week on vegies (and I don't waste any), can't wait to get sorted so I can grow my own (have 3 compost bins going at present in preperation).

Plenty fish in the sea so people fish and it's free, can be cheap if you don't have the personal need to folk out for more than the basics otherwise expensive. Beaches still have shell fish that you can collect.

Their is never a good and bad time to move only a time that is right for you. It's better to try than to wonder should I.

Pauline

NZBee Jul 28th 2008 12:44 am

Dont get sucked in by the low unemployment rates. The figures are massaged by the government so those that are claiming they cannot work as they are sick/unfit etc, and the doctor clears this, the government figures dont count (even though these people are unemployed). The figures are quite different then, and not as encouraging.

However, this aside, maybe it is a good time for you to move to NZ?? If you have capital from the UK, it is a good time to buy a house here! You can get some good bargins. And depending on your 'trade' once you are here, some find it quite easy to find a job.

sunray Jul 28th 2008 6:54 pm

[QUOTE=NZBee;6617247]Dont get sucked in by the low unemployment rates. The figures are massaged by the government so those that are claiming they cannot work as they are sick/unfit etc, and the doctor clears this, the government figures dont count (even though these people are unemployed). The figures are quite different then, and not as encouraging.

Same as the UK then!!!!!

lapsed kiwi Jul 28th 2008 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by NZBee (Post 6617247)
Dont get sucked in by the low unemployment rates. The figures are massaged by the government so those that are claiming they cannot work as they are sick/unfit etc, and the doctor clears this, the government figures dont count (even though these people are unemployed). The figures are quite different then, and not as encouraging.

However, this aside, maybe it is a good time for you to move to NZ?? If you have capital from the UK, it is a good time to buy a house here! You can get some good bargins. And depending on your 'trade' once you are here, some find it quite easy to find a job.

I agree that there are far too many "bludgers" in the system, but surely the important figure for a potential migrant is the number of people actively seeking work - these are the ones you're going to be competing for a job with.

Smilz Jul 28th 2008 11:44 pm

[COLOR="Cyan"]Yep sounds just about the same as good ol' UK...... banks going to the wall shares gone to pot, low pay settlements and high inflation.[/COLOR]

More and more brits leaving for Australia all the good ones going cause the bad ones cant get in...... unlike here!

I dont feel positive anymore as I see our MPs lining their pockets...anyone read Animal Farm

House prices dropping like a stone and will drop further and all those people who borrowed on equity that was never really there whinging. Forecast is for large job losses as the country wakes up to find that it is already in recession. More CTTV than anywhere else in the world .... high taxation direct and indirect.

I could go on... the list is endless but at least you have a beautiful country with a climate to match...... I once read the expression same shit - shinerer bucket and that kinda sums it up.

We know that when we arrive we will have to work harder so as we can establish ourselves and we haven't done a reccie because we dont want a two month holiday giving us rose tinted glasses.

For us this has been seven years in the planning and a small thing like a pending global economic meltdown is not going to spoil it for us. C U SOON

P18PPS Jul 29th 2008 1:40 am

"is now a good time to move to NZ?" - treat that question as one about your personal stage in life rather than the financial status somewhere.... in 5 years' time when the economy has recovered the points may have been raised and therefore you may not get into the country!.... or something else may have happened that prevents you from making that move. Life's too short!

Practical Jul 29th 2008 5:50 pm

All of the negative sentiment at the moment might make this a reasonable question to ask ,but really it isn't. There is no right time unless you are privileged enough to have a crystal ball. Sometimes you just have to go for what it is you feel you want the most. It's called risk taking and no risk ,no reward.

kato33 Jul 30th 2008 4:44 am

Originally Posted by danny.f (Post 6604316)
Recession is often a good time to move-but having been here 19 months,I'd say just do it,anyway. Wait a couple of weeks though. Flight into Wellington is proper dodgy with this wind!:p

Hi Dannyf...........hows the wind......hehehehehehehe

kato33 Jul 30th 2008 4:46 am

Hell yeah!!!
Just go online and read all about the UK cr@p thats going on.
I know where I would rather be.
Anytime to come here is a good time to be away from England. I still love home and miss it EVERY day but my family need this peaceful haven.