Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Electronic security technician help !!

Electronic security technician help !!

Old Nov 22nd 2017, 5:37 am
Just Joined

Gemmae31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electronic security technician help !!

Hi

We are looking for some advice please ? We really want to make the move as a family after fallen in love with New Zealand 🇳🇿

My partner is a electronic security technician which we know is needed out there, but as he doesn’t hold a qualification he has to find an accredited employer.

He has the experience over here as he has been doing it for 8 years

Is there anyone that has made the move out there that was in the same situation ??

He is even looking at going over there to go round to employers and even offer to work a few days for free

Thank you
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 6:09 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electronic security technician help !!

Firstly your OH cannot do any work free or not, without a valid visa.

He does not necessarily need qualification if he can prove he has worked experience over 3 years.

Alarm, Security or Surveillance Monitor Visa Options – Skill Shortage Lists, Immigration New Zealand

So if he can get an accredited company to offer him a job he may well get a visa, if that visa allows the rest of the family is another matter and will depend on job offer and salary.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 6:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Firstly your OH cannot do any work free or not, without a valid visa.

He does not necessarily need qualification if he can prove he has worked experience over 3 years.

Alarm, Security or Surveillance Monitor Visa Options – Skill Shortage Lists, Immigration New Zealand

So if he can get an accredited company to offer him a job he may well get a visa, if that visa allows the rest of the family is another matter and will depend on job offer and salary.

Thank you for your reply

He was going to go out on a working holiday visa so he has the option of working if needed. Then me and my daughter will go out on visitor visas.

We was hoping by him being out there and going around to employers we would stand a better chance. I believe that if he can earn over $73000 roughly we can go out on his visa. It is very hard looking for roles for him online as not many state what his earnings could potentially be
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 7:17 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

You would be better coming out on visitors visa and for him to look for work then apply if he gets offered a job and gains a visa.

coming over on differing visas may be problematic at customs

boots on ground is always better as it shows you are willing to make the effort. You could do as we did and let OH come over on visitors visa and try and gain a visa and then you follow on when he does.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 10:13 am
Just Joined

You would be better coming out on visitors visa and for him to look for work then apply if he gets offered a job and gains a visa.

boots on ground is always better as it shows you are willing to make the effort. You could do as we did and let OH come over on visitors visa and try and gain a visa and then you follow on when he does.
Yeah. OH is so determined to make it work. He doesn’t want to come back until his secured work. He is willing to go auckland wellington and Christchurch. We feel we could give our daughter a better life in New Zealand. As it’s such a lovely country with lots to offer
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Gemmae31
. We feel we could give our daughter a better life in New Zealand. As it’s such a lovely country with lots to offer
that is subjective, I feel that my kids had more opportunities in the UK.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. OH is so determined to make it work. He doesn’t want to come back until his secured work. He is willing to go auckland wellington and Christchurch. We feel we could give our daughter a better life in New Zealand. As it’s such a lovely country with lots to offer
Be very very realistic and it is, but remember nice views don't pay bills, you have to totally commit to adapting and accepting the differences
Expect a Britain 2.0 and you'll be miserable and back on a plane before you know it thousands of pounds out of pocket

Avoid Auckland. it will ruin you financially
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 5:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

He was going to go out on a working holiday visa so he has the option of working if needed. Then me and my daughter will go out on visitor visas.
I've already told you that is not a good idea & why.

$36 an hour? Where have you garnered he could earn that much.

Originally Posted by Justcol
Expect a Britain 2.0 and you'll be miserable and back on a plane before you know it thousands of pounds out of pocket
This is your personal bee in your own bonnet. Why it is there I do not know but I suggest removing your bonnet and shaking your ears so you can better listen & hear to what people actually say. I know you can be a helpful good bloke. I'm looking for that.

Stop with the assumptions also. Most are looking for a new or different life. That applies to any emigration to / from any country.

Oh...and some are not even from the UK

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 23rd 2017 at 6:01 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Not so sure that's good advice Mrs F.
Taking the OP's matters in to consideration, what is wrong with the hubby coming out on a WHV and the wife and kids on visitor visas - seems very sensible to me. A WHV is a great way to travel here with the benefit it also allows one to work for up to 12 months?
They are all individual visas and so long as each individual is eligible and they remain within the conditions of each visa then what's the issue ?
Customs sure as heck won't give a toss, maybe you mean Immigration.......which goes back to the above.......so long as they are all lawfully eligible for the visas and will stay within the conditions then they'll be fine. Even travelling together shouldn't be an issue so long as they have sufficient funds, a Plan A and a Plan B.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 7:23 am

yes sorry Immigration not customs.

I just pointed out, as other have done on other threads, that this may not be seen as a kosher with the family travelling on differing visas with different visa time lines.
The intention is to come over to look for work so why payout for a WHV when they don't need to. Temp visa could be got to enable immediate start whilst the other visa is ticking away and it also means that the visitors visa for the wife and child can be extended. where as coming out on differing visas may not allow the wife and child to extend a visitors visa as the OP can work on the WHV.
With the tightening of rules that are bound to come why muddy the waters from the off.
I know from my own experience on coming over in 2012 that myself and children coming over on a different visa to MrF had quite a bit of a chat at Immigration before they let us in and it was a lot easier back then.

Just seems coming over on a visitors visa would be the cheapest option and also means that if no job is forth coming on the first trip the option of the WHV for husband to come over on his own and move around to get a job offer is still open to them
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
I've already told you that is not a good idea & why.

$36 an hour? Where have you garnered he could earn that much.

This is your personal bee in your own bonnet. Why it is there I do not know but I suggest removing your bonnet and shaking your ears so you can better listen & hear to what people actually say. I know you can be a helpful good bloke. I'm looking for that.

Stop with the assumptions also. Most are looking for a new or different life. That applies to any emigration to / from any country.

Oh...and some are not even from the UK
We have seen numerous jobs advertised online that state a salary of between $60,000 to $74,000
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Thank you everyone for your comments.

We both know it’s not going to be easy and that we have to be committed. We are just trying to find the best way to go about it

As long as we have enough money to live comfortable without struggling

We just feel for us we could give our daughter a better lifestyle.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 8:37 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I know from my own experience on coming over in 2012 that myself and children coming over on a different visa to MrF had quite a bit of a chat at Immigration before they let us in and it was a lot easier back then.
The issue with mix and match visas from any immigration dept PoV is the intent to remain beyond the given visa's policy or perhaps I should write 'overstay'. It happens.

The WHV is not a job search visa. If they rock on up with him on a WHV and her on a visitor visa any immy officer worth his salt is going to question intent to leave/remain unless a conversation has already been had .

This occupation - Alarm, Security Or Surveillance Monitor - is not in shortage here. Best bet, as MrsF says, is an accredited employer.

We have seen numerous jobs advertised online that state a salary of between $60,000 to $74,000
Please show me and link if possible. It gives a better idea .
I have found one in Auckland I think at $28-$36. He would likely start at base rate.

Hays Recruitment who placed the vacancy is an Accredited Employer. He could apply for that today & state he will fly out for a face to face interview & to start if needs be
With a start date you guys then line up the correct visas.

As JustCol has written , Auckland is beyond expensive so careful thought is needed at those rates of pay. I'm not sure it would be doable but those in Auckland could advise on that.

Look. No-one wishes to rain on your parade. It will be about getting that job offer. It will also be very much about what start up money you have & whether what pay is offered can actually support you as a family.

I cannot see any other vacancy other than Auckland that would be for both the occupation which is not in shortage at all & also not for blimmin' Auckland.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Or fly at different times if needs must, problem at least massively reduced if not eradicated
Old Nov 24th 2017, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
The issue with mix and match visas from any immigration dept PoV is the intent to remain beyond the given visa's policy or perhaps I should write 'overstay'. It happens.

The WHV is not a job search visa. If they rock on up with him on a WHV and her on a visitor visa any immy officer worth his salt is going to question intent to leave/remain unless a conversation has already been had .

This occupation - Alarm, Security Or Surveillance Monitor - is not in shortage here. Best bet, as MrsF says, is an accredited employer.

Please show me and link if possible. It gives a better idea .
I have found one in Auckland I think at $28-$36. He would likely start at base rate.

Hays Recruitment who placed the vacancy is an Accredited Employer. He could apply for that today & state he will fly out for a face to face interview & to start if needs be
With a start date you guys then line up the correct visas.

As JustCol has written , Auckland is beyond expensive so careful thought is needed at those rates of pay. I'm not sure it would be doable but those in Auckland could advise on that.

Look. No-one wishes to rain on your parade. It will be about getting that job offer. It will also be very much about what start up money you have & whether what pay is offered can actually support you as a family.

I cannot see any other vacancy other than Auckland that would be for both the occupation which is not in shortage at all & also not for blimmin' Auckland.
https://m.hays.net.nz/Job/Detail/security-technician-auckland-cbd-en-NZL_1894891?q=&applyId=JOB_913463&lang=en&lang=en& isSponsored=N

I think a few of them have been up with hays there is some in Christchurch to.

What would people say you would need as an income to live comfortabley. I no everyone’s idea is different but would like a rough idea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.