Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Not turned out as expected back home we go

Not turned out as expected back home we go

Old Oct 9th 2016, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

donutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to behold
Default Not turned out as expected back home we go

So we've been here 6 months and we've made the decision it's not for us we are off to oz in feb Gold Coast for a week then home yes it's been a experience and yes I went through a lot to get here but it's just not working out .my job it's what it was back home and I am bored so are the boys are not happy so back we go x can't wait 😊
Old Oct 9th 2016, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not turned out as expected back home we go

Each to their own of course, but you've only been here for a winter, why don't you wait to see what summer's like?
Old Oct 9th 2016, 7:05 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

a friend of mine initially moved to Nelson and hated it, think it was 18months they moved back to UK and after the initial, yea glad that is over, got the feeling of what the hell had they done. Came back over, think it took them a while, but to the North Island are now loving it, has immersed herself into the community and have not looked back.

Not saying this will happen to you, but 6months is a very short time, your visa application probably took longer than that.
Have you thought of trying somewhere else, maybe, as my friend did, the North Island?

Anyway keep us updated on your journey and I personally would love to know how things goes.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Oct 9th 2016 at 7:10 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2016, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Not good that you will have 3 winters in a row and no summer.
Old Oct 9th 2016, 10:44 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The Nelson area is quite out on a limb and it can feel very isolating. I do understand the boredom thing. It's not the type of boredom from not knowing what to do with oneself . It's more that it can be samey in a way.

Having written that I do feel that 6 months is still a settling in period and that giving it a year or a bit more ensures it's not a knee jerk.

The winter in Nelson this year has been long and a bit rubbish IMO . The start to Spring hasn't been all that either. Summer in Nelson will bring it more to life.

Anyway. All the best.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 12:07 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Been there, done that, got the t shirt. Six months is too short, too short by at least six months and probably more like 18. But I also know that once one has decided it won't work, it won't work. I genuinely hope you are one of the families who go back and are content. All the best
Old Oct 10th 2016, 12:12 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry that you are returning to Britain in such a relatively short space of time. Especially, as you say, the effort you put into getting things arranged to come here.

I understand, 'give it time' but also, you know when.

We return to Britain on Saturday 5th November after arriving in NZ February 2011.

Here's to the future.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 10th 2016 at 12:59 am. Reason: made a correction, thanks Bev
Old Oct 10th 2016, 12:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Snap Shot

We return to Britain on Saturday 5th November after arriving in NZ February 2016.

Here's to the future.
I think you arrived before Feb 2016.

If you are leaving soon for a permanent UK return, then congrats from me Snapshot. Yours has been a long hard journey.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 1:07 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
If you are leaving soon for a permanent UK return, then congrats from me Snapshot. Yours has been a long hard journey.
Thanks. Two one way tickets from Auckland to London Heathrow Airport via Los Angeles booked for Saturday 5 November. We arrive at 10.40am on Sunday 6th November. We're not having a holiday on the way back. Crown International Movers coming 2nd & 3rd November. House is sold, we settle on 4th November. My husband resigns from his job tomorrow. Cat to be rehomed. Endless to do list. Can't shake the feeling of, 'what have we forgotten, what have we missed ?' Anyway, that's what the endless to do list is for !

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, so,

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 10th 2016 at 1:10 am. Reason: ETA
Old Oct 10th 2016, 2:32 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donutt
So we've been here 6 months and we've made the decision it's not for us we are off to oz in feb Gold Coast for a week then home yes it's been a experience and yes I went through a lot to get here but it's just not working out .my job it's what it was back home and I am bored so are the boys are not happy so back we go x can't wait. ....
Nutha question: what prompted you to leave Britain and move to the farthest side of the world? ..... You realise, whatever "it" was, it probably hasn't changed/improved, and indeed when you get back you may well find that what "it" was is actually worse!
Old Oct 10th 2016, 4:10 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

6months?

Geez thats is not enough time. at 6 months i was very much thinking i made a mistake coming to NZ. but realised i haven't actually gave it a chance.
2 years on iv settled in alot more,i love it here and look back at what i thought of doing 6 months after i arrived i actually cringe.

Cant you give it some more time? if youve made your mind up not to like NZ you definitely wont.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

donutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to behold

I would but my job isn't what it should be I loved my job in the uk and feel a bit cheated that 14 years of experience 2 years training have me sitting on my bum I love nz don't get me wrong I've spent a lot coming here but the boys are unhappy and I am too it's been discussed and the family voted home I don't have the prospects here either which people kept telling me there was but hay ho it's part of life's journey never say never 😊
Old Oct 10th 2016, 5:37 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Two one way tickets from Auckland to London Heathrow Airport via Los Angeles booked for Saturday 5 November. We arrive at 10.40am on Sunday 6th November.
Really pleased for you Snap Shot, and wish you all the best
Old Oct 10th 2016, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Thanks yes it was a struggle to get here but as you say you know if it's right you spend a lot of time at work and it's not what I expected or was really told honestly it would be but life's a journey and it's been a great adventure 😊 Hope your turns out ok I know it's the right thing to do 😊

Sorry that you are returning to Britain in such a relatively short space of time. Especially, as you say, the effort you put into getting things arranged to come here.

I understand, 'give it time' but also, you know when.

We return to Britain on Saturday 5th November after arriving in NZ February 2011.

Here's to the future.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Just a change that's all no running away from old Blighty just a change 😊 Life's for living and to sit and say I tried is better than what if 😊

QUOTE=Pulaski;12072404]Nutha question: what prompted you to leave Britain and move to the farthest side of the world? ..... You realise, whatever "it" was, it probably hasn't changed/improved, and indeed when you get back you may well find that what "it" was is actually worse! [/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.