British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   not so good (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/not-so-good-553180/)

darlo_tony Aug 4th 2008 4:08 pm

not so good

well today we had the estate agent round to re value our house & since march of this year the price has reduced by over £40k :curse: this now means as wimpy and many others i'm sure before us we are having to call a big halt to our plans of emigrating :cry_smile::cry_smile:
i would like though 1 big bit of help before i go,
question 1
is do you know how many (if any) points you loose for your age going from 40 - 42 ?
and
question 2
for all of you who traveled with teenagers 14 + how easy was it finding good schools, them settling in and then taking there exams
i know it will be different for everyone but your experience is all i ask

and finally

question 3
when we reapply(and we will)will we have to go through the whole process again or will we be able to use our old details that we submitted and just change a few dates

it has been really good reading about all your different experiences over the last few months and i will keep having a look on the site now and again hope your all still as helpful in a couple of years:rofl:

thanks again and good luck to all of you

tony

gina and danny Aug 4th 2008 4:16 pm

Re: not so good

i dont know the answers to any of your questions,

i just wanted to say, that i am so sorry to hear your news but its good that your not seeing this as the end and just seeing it as a stumbling block, i am sure that with such a positive outlook in these times you will succeed in whatever you do.

good luck and one day you will be in nz.:thumbsup:

j19fmm Aug 4th 2008 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by darlo_tony (Post 6644662)
question 1
is do you know how many (if any) points you loose for your age going from 40 - 42 ?
tony

Tony, sorry to hear of yet another casualty of the recession. Re Q1, a bit long winded I know but if you fill in the EOI with one age and then change age it'll show you the points difference. Good luck :thumbup:

bolton1 Aug 4th 2008 7:38 pm

Before you change all your plans get a second opinion we had our house valued by 3 agents all giving a different valuation the lowest was 30k lower than the one we finally chose. I think estate agents are also putting such low valuations in cos they are wanting quick turnover & their fee quickly. I know its a buyers market but you can't give them away.

Also ask the agents what they will do extra to promote your sale after all they are working for you & it isn't a small fee.

Dont give up :unsure:

Lenmil Aug 4th 2008 7:44 pm

After having to give up NZ too in 2004 because of our house not selling i would suggest you go multi agent. We have just done that and so far have got more interest in our house. Not sold it yet mind you.

BEVS Aug 4th 2008 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by darlo_tony (Post 6644662)
well today we had the estate agent round to re value our house & since march of this year the price has reduced by over £40k :curse: this now means as wimpy and many others i'm sure before us we are having to call a big halt to our plans of emigrating :cry_smile::cry_smile:

I'm very sorry to read this. Perhaps other agents might value differently. You can but try. Keep your eyes on news about house prices here in NZ too .

Originally Posted by darlo_tony

i would like though 1 big bit of help before i go,
question 1

None.
The age bands are
30-39 25 points
40-44 20 points
45-49 10 points

and
question 2
for all of you who traveled with teenagers 14 + how easy was it finding good schools, them settling in and then taking there exams
i know it will be different for everyone but your experience is all i ask

Can't help with that as only have cats and ducks. As you say, each teenager is a mystery unto his/her self judging from what I see of our friends adolescents.

and finally

question 3
when we reapply(and we will)will we have to go through the whole process again or will we be able to use our old details that we submitted and just change a few dates

Yes. You will have to start again with a new EOI.

Your current EOI has been submitted and pulled form the pool from what I read. Soon NZIS might send you the ITA. There is a time line to returning the ITA, after which the offer from NZIS expires.

it has been really good reading about all your different experiences over the last few months and i will keep having a look on the site now and again hope your all still as helpful in a couple of years:rofl:

thanks again and good luck to all of you

tony

Don't be a stranger.

darlo_tony Aug 4th 2008 9:35 pm

thanks for all your words of advice

it was a bit of a shock to be honest to get the new valuation we dont know what to do :confused:

having talked about the responses on her i may get another valuation the OH is also talking about renting the house to the local uni

we have got our ITA back so as i believe we have 6 months to get our meds, xrays, police records etc together but to be honest the more we go through the options the only one possible is to sell and move

unfortunately we just seem to be 6 months too late but hey things will change and who knows whats going to be around the corner

our youngest (7) is quite happy to wait as she didnt want to break up with her new boyfriend just yet anyway young love :wub:

again thanks for your advice
will keep checking in

cheers tony

CCGM.IN.NZ Aug 4th 2008 9:48 pm

Hi Tony, can't help with questions 1 or 3 but question 2 I have experienced. I have two teens 16 (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508162) and 14 who have settled extremely well. They are in an excellent school and have made lots of new friends. When they first started school here the kids made them feel so welcome. The 16 year old keeps in touch with her UK friends regularly with msn but my 14 year old isn't so bothered about his UK friends any more, says his friends here are much better than the ones back there! We have been back for a visit at Christmas and though it was good to see family and friends neither of my teens have any desire to go back there to live. Anyway, this is my experience. There are people who post on here who have had problems with their teens settling in. I wish you the best of luck. You must be so dissapointed about having to halt your plans, but never say never. If you want something enough you can make it happen, who knows what the future will bring.

darlo_tony Aug 5th 2008 8:38 am

OH is getting in touch with some rental agencys today while im at work:)

at least it still gives us some hope

may i ask how many of you have gone down the rental route and what sort of problems if any have you come across

cheers tony

Practical Aug 5th 2008 9:43 am

Tony,
If you are looking for rental ,because you would NEED that income to make NZ work I would suuggest you rethink it unless you can ride out periods of no rental stream. If you can then go forward. Personally I suspect quite a few people trying this are going to find it was not the experience they expected. I was a professional landlord for over 30 years.
Never have less than 3 valuations.You need to establish a valuation range rather a specific price. Moreover is a lower valuation a real problem?. That is ,did you need the extra equity release to make NZ income work ,or would it simply mean you have less capital to purchase in NZ ? If it's only repurchase I don't think that is particularly important as capital valuations in NZ will go south right along with the UK anyway.

Moomoo Aug 5th 2008 11:37 am

Tony

We are going down the rental route. The house was on the market from February 2008 until approx 1 month ago. We decided to try and rent and were extremely lucky to find a family who wish to rent our house for at least 1 year (preferably 18 months - 2 years). They are moving in at the end of this month.

Only 'problem' is, we have only just submitted our ITA and do not have confirmation that all is accepted yet. Hubby has job offer with accredited company, so hopefully we will receive a favourable response soon, or at least receive a response as to whether they require any further information. We have packers booked for the end of the month and they will hold our stuff in storage over here (initially for four weeks free) until we are ready to ship - that gives us a bit more time.

We would have preferred to sell, but are grateful to have found tenants instead. At least we can still move forward with our plans. We will see how the market is in approx 18 months' time, then maybe try and sell.

Good luck
Moomoo :)

2poor4this Aug 5th 2008 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by darlo_tony (Post 6645586)

we have got our ITA back so as i believe we have 6 months to get our meds, xrays, police records etc together but to be honest the more we go through the options the only one possible is to sell and move

Sorry to add more potential problems to your list, they gave us 4 months to return our ITA, which just about gives me 2 months left to photo copy everything and hire a hit squad to track down other half's ex partner and give us the letter he's been promising for the last 3 months giving his permission to take the little un' else everything has been in vain :frown:

All the best getting everything sorted, dont give up too soon :)

banshigirl Aug 5th 2008 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Moomoo (Post 6647274)
Tony

We are going down the rental route. The house was on the market from February 2008 until approx 1 month ago. We decided to try and rent and were extremely lucky to find a family who wish to rent our house for at least 1 year (preferably 18 months - 2 years). They are moving in at the end of this month.

Only 'problem' is, we have only just submitted our ITA and do not have confirmation that all is accepted yet. Hubby has job offer with accredited company, so hopefully we will receive a favourable response soon, or at least receive a response as to whether they require any further information. We have packers booked for the end of the month and they will hold our stuff in storage over here (initially for four weeks free) until we are ready to ship - that gives us a bit more time.

We would have preferred to sell, but are grateful to have found tenants instead. At least we can still move forward with our plans. We will see how the market is in approx 18 months' time, then maybe try and sell.

Good luck
Moomoo :)

Hi Tony, As Moomoo has said we have gone the rental route and after having our house on the market since Feb (?) this year we had also about given up hope.

We went the rental route and had a tenant two days later! We are lucky enough to be getting enough to clear our mortgage and have a years contract. We will, however, still have to find the cash for our buildings. Not a huge problem, but still something to have to sort out.

Hope you can get your probs sorted and I wish you all the luck.

Debs

Practical Aug 6th 2008 7:49 am

Let me make one thing clear so that would be buy to lets understand this point. I very much doubt if any agent has bluntly told you this yet. After a prolonged period of rental you can expect to give back revenue either via the cost to redecor to rectify delapidation incurred in rental ,or by taking a lower sale price because the property will look like it needs TLC and will be less saleable due to that. Contract deposits are hardly ever sufficient in the Uk to cover more than a small portion of this.
What you should not expect is that the revenue will simply flow with no balancing cost. Unless you are extremely fortunate in tenant that will not happen.
Simple fact is most people when they rent just don't have the vested interest in the property to do what your average owner will do in both taking care daily and in doing ongoing maintenance.
No free lunches in BTL I can assure you.

Frenchy Aug 7th 2008 10:36 am

Originally Posted by darlo_tony (Post 6646790)
OH is getting in touch with some rental agencys today while im at work:)

at least it still gives us some hope

may i ask how many of you have gone down the rental route and what sort of problems if any have you come across

cheers tony

Hey are you Darlo Tony because you are from Darlaston? If so Pumpkin Lou is renting leaving Bentley soon!!!!!:thumbup: