Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Not quite 100% pure, more like 67%?

Not quite 100% pure, more like 67%?

Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:07 pm

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future
Default Not quite 100% pure, more like 67%?

Slow death of a dirty brown river : http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominionpost/4730860a23955.html
It's like an open drain. More than 100,000 cubic metres of treated waste is poured into the dirty Manawatu River each day.

go on....OK, if you insist :
Pollution is rife as sediment, runoff and treated waste chug into the waterways and change the habitats of native fish.
wow..but wait, there's more :
Dr Joy says there is a major flaw in the picture-perfect images shown in television advertisements of Tui girls frolicking in the river near the brewery in the small Tararua town of Mangatainoka.

If the girls really danced in the Mangatainoka River, which feeds into the Manawatu, they would get sick. The brewery is downstream of Pahiatua's sewage system and has itself regularly breached its discharge consent conditions, he says.

What you mean that the picture perfect image doesn't match up to the reality?

Wairarapa's major river polluted :
http://www.age.co.nz/localnews/story...thesubsection=

Hundreds march against river pollution :
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/423466/856247
Hundreds of people marched through Palmerston North on Saturday to protest what they say is council-endorsed pollution of the Manawatu River.

Search for Polluted river on the http://www.tourismnewzealand.com - 100% Pure NZ web-site.

0 returns!

Strange that...
Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Not quite 100% pure, more like 67%?

Not really. The marketing campaign is there to attract tourists, which NZ needs and migrants, which NZ needs (whether NZ likes it or not). I can totally understand it not including concerns abut pollution of NZ waterways but I do wish it would desist from stating the cost of living is lower & wages comparable to the UK etc.

The issues over some NZ waterways is quite a concern. It has to be stated here that not all NZ waterways are polluted in this way. What are councils, businesses and farmers prepared to do to improve the water quality for everyone in these areas ?

With regard to the whitebait mentioned in one of the articles, can I just say that my neighbour has just come back from whitebaiting on the west coast of the South Island. He has traditionally done this for decades. Those rivers are not the subject of the articles about pollution of the waterways. His catch of whitebait was so low this year as to be almost not worth it. He knows his New Zealand and in his opinion the low catch was/is due to weather.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:15 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly away from the exact topic but if anyone gets a chance to hear Mike Joy speak I can suggest going along to a lecture/presentation. He really has a way of making the most dry topic seem very very interesting.

And, to be fair, freshwater is something that effects everyone. It is one of the reasons why freshwater as a conservation topic can get quite a bit of coverage - you don't have to be a greenie eco hippy to appreciate or 'get' freshwater rivers etc.

Concerns about rivers in the Manawatu area has been a concern for a while, particularly due to dirty dairying practices (either real or percieved).
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:20 pm

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess

Concerns about rivers in the Manawatu area has been a concern for a while, particularly due to dirty dairying practices (either real or percieved).
Does NZ deserve it clean green reputation?

http://blogs.nzherald.co.nz/blog/you...mage/??c_id=16
Since coming back to my beloved country after living overseas for 18 years, the only thing clean and green about the country is the grass which is green and the continuous rain which keeps it that colour. Recycling is a joke. There are never enough rubbish bins around the place and I'm talking about in the shopping centre car parks where they are few and far between. People dump their rubbish out in the rural areas by the truck load, cos they're either too lazy, or because they would have to pay to take it to a recycle centre. When I first came back 10 years ago, my family thought I was cookoo, because I was recycling. It goes to show how far behind the eight ball we really are. It's embarrassing.
Always good to hear what other kiwis say isn't it - the ones without a vested interest in posting positive stuff regardless of the facts. You know who you are...

The clean green image is 100% Pure rubbish as far as I'm concerned! Having travelled the world, and visited pristine places like Osaka, Japan with burgeoning populations living in tiny houses they need to go outside to change their minds in,we would have to be the filthiest by a country mile!
Hell no - every damn day I have to retrieve litter (bottles, fast food bags) from the front of my property because of lazy arsed tossers throwing it out of there cars as they drive past.

This country is living a lie and needs to own up and address the problems at hand. NZ's ego is writing cheques the country can't cash!
NZ looks clean from the window of a plane, but get down low and it's not really. 50% of the lakes in the North island are poisoned beyond saving and Kiwi's do tend to throw their s*** anywhere as a rule.

Phew, im not alone!

Last edited by Jokerman; Oct 19th 2008 at 10:23 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BEVS here
He knows his New Zealand and in his opinion the low catch was/is due to weather.
With all due respect, Bevs.... I wouldn't trust anyone's opinion any more based only on 'knows his/her New Zealand' . I have many many more examples I won't bore you with, but..... In the opinion of the 'best, most thorough' most authoritative, most expensive property inspector in town, who 'knows his New Zealand' too where houses are concerned: "Ah, that's not borer! You can't see borer!"....!!! This after I showed him in my hand a couple of copulating borer beetles that I'd picked off a borer-hole riddled door frame, and pointed out the dozens of others remaining on the door frames through out the house. His subsequent written report that I'd paid nearly twice the usual going rate for actually stated that there was no evidence of live borer in the house ( because he didn't see any of 'the tell-tale signs' like sawdust-type droppings)! Post Script: we bought the house and have subsequently spent a fortune replacing all the floorboards after our feet kept going through them the borer was so bad.

Re the low catch of whitebait being due to weather in the opinion of someone who knows his New Zealand (I won't upset anyone here with any more talk about NZers who 'know' things as I will be accused of just being bitter after my so-called 'one bad experience', and of offending all NZers, and then others will join in for the mob attack!) - from a recent Campbell Live segment on endangered whitebait (interesting 4 minute video ):

http://blog.greens.org.nz/2008/09/10...-on-whitebait/

EDIT: Just to say I hadn't seen the subsequent post from Kiwiprincess above, referring to Mike Joy, before I posted here. The Campbell LIve video in the link I've posted to here features Mike Joy

Last edited by Black Sheep; Oct 19th 2008 at 11:25 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:18 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Black Sheep
With all due respect, Bevs.... I wouldn't trust anyone's opinion any more based only on 'knows his/her New Zealand' .
I think you may have mis-interpreted . The people near the polluted waterway are stating the low catch of whitebait is due to pollution levels.

This chap wasn't in a polluted area yet his whitebait catch was also extremely down. So , perhaps whitebait catches this year are simply just down. Had I not had this conversation from him when asking about his trip away, I would not have heard this about white-baiting this season. I don;t whitebait and I don;t even like the stuff . Yuk!

My neighbour is an older man who whitebaits in the same area every year. He has stated that his catch was extremely low this year and he says this is due to the weather here this year. I've no doubt he has experienced similar in past years but this is the way he talked about it for this year. Having white-baited for several decades in the same place , he will have based his view on his experience. Probably other years have been bumper seasons.

It wasn't about him being a Kiwi. It was simply relating about his personal experience & conversation to me of the whitebait season this year. This year has not been a good year. Next year may well be better.

I'm not after stating that there are no polluted waterways in NZ. That's not realistic. As you know I prefer to see a balance of postings. NZ is neither all bad or all good. The Pure Clean campaign though is not about issues that NZ faces. That is all about attracting much needed tourists and migrants. Logically, any campaign such as that needs to be made positive & attractive. That's its job.

For us on the ground though, what we need to know is what councils, farmers and businesses are prepared to do to ensure good water quality for everyone.

edited here.....

I see from the report you linked to, that several issues are raised around whitebaiting. Over fishing, salmon introduction, water quality etc.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 19th 2008 at 11:23 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:37 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I love whitebait fritter

Our main river here in Hawkes Bay is the TukiTuki, which I was horrified to discover is filthy dirty during summer months when it's low and slow. This is a result of sewage, farming and manufacture but particularly the first. Last summer there were many weeks where the advice was no swimming due to E-coli :curse::curse::curse:

It's a Big Issue locally though so I'm hopeful that fast forward a few years and it will be sorted

http://www.hbrc.govt.nz/WhatWeDo/Wat...9/Default.aspx
Old Oct 20th 2008, 4:10 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jokerman
Search for Polluted river on the http://www.tourismnewzealand.com - 100% Pure NZ web-site.

0 returns!

Strange that...
Not that strange - show me one other tourism marketing sites that "air the dirty laundry".
Old Oct 20th 2008, 4:14 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Selling the country as "Last Stop to Antarctica, put on your thermals" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

River runs deep with trash..

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4733272a7693.html
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Browner_

fairly obvious to me that NZ does not deserve it's 100% pure image. No way!
The Heathcote has been a dumping ground for Christchurch's residents and businesses for well over a century. Tanneries, wool-scourers and heavy industry were sited beside the river for exactly that reason. The river still suffers the after-effects of the gasworks, which leached its waste into the river until it closed. When I lived in Woolston (1986-96), about 100m from the tidal section of the river, I could tell it was high tide by the gas smell that came up through the house and collected in places like cupboards.

But before the rest of you clean, green New Zealanders mock six-fingered Christchurch, take a look at your own rivers, streams and estuaries. None of us are any better.

I did notice this story the other day : Hooker's sea lion bludgeoned to death

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4730726a7693.html

People aye?

Last edited by Jokerman; Oct 20th 2008 at 7:31 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jokerman
fairly obvious to me that NZ does not deserve it's 100% pure image. No way!

I did notice this story the other day : Hooker's sea lion bludgeoned to death

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4730726a7693.html

People aye?
Yeah, and an All Black/current key Provincial Player was done for shooting at Fur Seals with automatic pistols. What sort of mentality is that?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/justice-sy...ectid=10337915
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_

NZ's gonna get the 'dirtyman of the south pacific' award if it does not take action now. This country amazes me with its piss poor waste management (and allowing kids to drive chipped up Japanese super cars). When is SOMEONE GOING TO WAKE UP AND SEE THE WRITING ON THE WALL????????????????????????????? Still love it here though.

With some effort NZ could knock a whole raft of its current problems into the waste bin and start improving its image.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:44 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Doesn't need to improve the image just the substance!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Genesis
NZ's gonna get the 'dirtyman of the south pacific' award if it does not take action now. This country amazes me with its piss poor waste management (and allowing kids to drive chipped up Japanese super cars). When is SOMEONE GOING TO WAKE UP AND SEE THE WRITING ON THE WALL????????????????????????????? Still love it here though.

With some effort NZ could knock a whole raft of its current problems into the waste bin and start improving its image.
Yeah, but where's that effort going to come from? The NZers, who've let this happen in the first place? Immigrants who loudly proclaim it's not their, OR other immigrants', place to 'interfere' 'cause this ain't our country'?? This problem isn't new. But the population density has been so low in this country that they've been able until now to'get away' with their large-by-world-standards environmental footprint. They have no real tradition or experience of 'sustainability' where the environment is concerned, and the 'she'll be right' attitude is about as far as you can get from being conducive to effort for change. When things go to custard, fatalism takes over. And fatalists don't generally take action...

(Ah Yotty, have just seen your post.... If you mean what I think you do, I say 'too true, too true'!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.