British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   not pregnant but... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/not-pregnant-but-443665/)

mazi Apr 20th 2007 2:27 pm

not pregnant but...

'Ello, 'ello, 'ello, been missing in action for a while but while I was away I was pondering.

If we were to have a baby, could it have a NZ passport even though not born in NZ? As most of you know, BF is a NZer but clearly, as he is a BF we are not married- does that make a difference? We would also want it to have a British passport, could it? (We live in Italy and if it were born here, how does that affect things?)

Give us a clue!

ezzkazz Apr 20th 2007 2:41 pm

Re: not pregnant but...

Originally Posted by mazi (Post 4672858)
'Ello, 'ello, 'ello, been missing in action for a while but while I was away I was pondering.

If we were to have a baby, could it have a NZ passport even though not born in NZ? As most of you know, BF is a NZer but clearly, as he is a BF we are not married- does that make a difference? We would also want it to have a British passport, could it? (We live in Italy and if it were born here, how does that affect things?)

Give us a clue!

I think it would have dual citizenship but it all depends on what countries you are from as some dont allow it. Just because you are not married doesnt make a difference as he would still be the 'father'.
Dont know anymore than that sorry

mazi Apr 20th 2007 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by ezzkazz (Post 4672918)
I think it would have dual citizenship but it all depends on what countries you are from as some dont allow it. Just because you are not married doesnt make a difference as he would still be the 'father'.
Dont know anymore than that sorry

I'm British but was born in France. The marriage thing could actually be a problem as when I was born in France (my parents were not married) I was a stateless person for the the first year of my life. The French wouldn't let me be French and the Brits wouldn't let me be Brit; my parents had a proper to-do with the embassies (they got married in the end just to shut them up). I've also read somewhere recently that even in Britain there is some awkwardness about unmarried couples of different nationalities (as BF and I are) and what nationality or citizenship to give the baby, but that may have been to parents neither of whom were British...or something.

Would I need to go to Britain to have a baby in order to have a better chance of it being British (that's to anyone - not just ezzkazz)?

Jack The Lad Apr 20th 2007 4:48 pm

Hey up girl :D

mazi Apr 20th 2007 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad (Post 4673623)
Hey up girl :D

Up your hey too, lad!

ezzkazz Apr 20th 2007 5:11 pm

I found this, it may give you a bit of an idea

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/p...lexamples.html

Herm Apr 20th 2007 9:06 pm

Give us a clue!

My OH is a kiwi - had two kids (born in UK) before finally got around to marriage and then simply registered their births with NZ house. Fast forward and they both hold dual citizenship BUT they cannot pass their NZ citizenship onto their children unless they 'formally' apply to become a NZ citizen or they marry a kiwi in which case citizenship will be passed on by the partner.

Don't believe that had we been married at the time it would have made any difference.

Cheers

TeamEmbo Apr 20th 2007 9:46 pm

Give us a clue!

I thought kids took their father's nationality? OH was born in Singapore but is not entitled to be resident in Singapore or have Singapore passport etc. His parents were married at the time and Dad is British and so OH is British despite being born abroad. This was 30+ years ago though and things change all the time. I know in England the father doesn't get automatic parental responsibility unless married to the mother.

mazi Apr 20th 2007 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 4674812)
I thought kids took their father's nationality?

:eek:

mazi Apr 20th 2007 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Herm (Post 4674596)
My OH is a kiwi - had two kids (born in UK) before finally got around to marriage and then simply registered their births with NZ house. Fast forward and they both hold dual citizenship BUT they cannot pass their NZ citizenship onto their children unless they 'formally' apply to become a NZ citizen or they marry a kiwi in which case citizenship will be passed on by the partner.

Don't believe that had we been married at the time it would have made any difference.

Cheers

So did you register the births with NZ House after you'd got married? As we're not necessarily intending to get married at all.

I'm not worried about them passing their NZ and/or British nationality onto their children - they can decide what they want to do about that then. And of course, there may well not be a world by then or it may be one state or the countries may have different names or any number of doomy gloomy outcomes.

Is it possible to hold three passports?

mazi Apr 20th 2007 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by ezzkazz (Post 4673706)
I found this, it may give you a bit of an idea

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/p...lexamples.html

Thank you - I'll check this out tomorrow when the Mojitos have worn off.

Herm Apr 21st 2007 12:35 am

Originally Posted by mazi (Post 4674956)
So did you register the births with NZ House after you'd got married? As we're not necessarily intending to get married at all.

I'm not worried about them passing their NZ and/or British nationality onto their children - they can decide what they want to do about that then. And of course, there may well not be a world by then or it may be one state or the countries may have different names or any number of doomy gloomy outcomes.

Is it possible to hold three passports?

No - We registered them before we got married.

JAJ Apr 21st 2007 2:47 am

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 4674812)
I thought kids took their father's nationality?

Not always.

JAJ Apr 21st 2007 2:50 am

If we were to have a baby, could it have a NZ passport even though not born in NZ? As most of you know, BF is a NZer but clearly, as he is a BF we are not married- does that make a difference?

Provided bf is born or naturalised in NZ, then baby would be NZ by descent. As someone else has noted you could, once living in NZ, apply for the child to be "granted" NZ citizenship which protects the rights of the next generation.

We would also want it to have a British passport, could it? (We live in Italy and if it were born here, how does that affect things?)
As long as you are a British citizen born or naturalised in the United Kingdom (or Channel Islands / Isle of Man) then the child will be British (by descent) automatically.

You would need to get a British style consular birth certificate and British passport from the British Embassy.

If neither of you are Italian, then child won't automatically be Italian just by being born in Italy.

mazi Apr 21st 2007 8:31 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 4675768)
Provided bf is born or naturalised in NZ, then baby would be NZ by descent. As someone else has noted you could, once living in NZ, apply for the child to be "granted" NZ citizenship which protects the rights of the next generation.

As long as you are a British citizen born or naturalised in the United Kingdom (or Channel Islands / Isle of Man) then the child will be British (by descent) automatically.

You would need to get a British style consular birth certificate and British passport from the British Embassy.

If neither of you are Italian, then child won't automatically be Italian just by being born in Italy.

Thank you JAJ, I was rather hoping for a reply from you. But one thing, I won't be living in NZ - been there, done that and my T shirt is very dirty. The NZ passport thing is purely to keep Kiwi BF happy, avoid the 9 hour wait at passport control when we visit BF's family (I'll still have to wait for 9 hours of course but at least the baby could go through with its dad) and to give poor beggar a bolt hole if it all goes T**s up here in Europe.

So, am I naturalised with my British passport then? Incidentally, do you know if I can also apply for a French passport? Not sure why I want one but it sounds quite cool, doesn't it?