Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

not pregnant but...

not pregnant but...

Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:47 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: not pregnant but...

Originally Posted by Herm
they cannot pass their NZ citizenship onto their children unless they 'formally' apply to become a NZ citizen or they marry a kiwi in which case citizenship will be passed on by the partner.
OR unless they physically have their children in NZ. Mine are in the same boat.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:54 am

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
So did you register the births with NZ House after you'd got married? As we're not necessarily intending to get married at all.

I'm not worried about them passing their NZ and/or British nationality onto their children - they can decide what they want to do about that then. And of course, there may well not be a world by then or it may be one state or the countries may have different names or any number of doomy gloomy outcomes.

Is it possible to hold three passports?
Memory makes me believe that said child will get NZ citizenship if your OH is an NZ born kiwi, no matter where the child is born (well out of the places you have listed at least and under current rules). We got our children (UK born) this after they were registered in the UK. No probs. But it is citizen by descent as opposed to citizen by birth, which their UK citizenship is. (This is the difference in terms of passing citizenship down to children)

Then I think the same should be true about their UK citizenship, if you are British. HOWEVER the fact that you were born outside the UK may affect this IF your child is also born outside the UK (in Italy for instance). In fact I think this could be the case, as my sister was also stateless as a baby, having been born in Africa to two British parents, although one of them (my Dad - the important one as someone has also mentioned, although I'm not sure if this is still the case) was born outside the UK so my sister was NOT entitled to be a British citizen by birth. So my parents also had the negotiations with the British Embassy. Anyhow, I'd thus check this aspect. The easy way round it, if it looks at all uncertain, is to have your child born in the UK, as you have mentioned. BUT DO NOT TAKE ANY TIMING RISKS WITH THIS. You should make sure you are here from about half way through - just in case!

Of course in reality, I am not sure that UK citizenship actually offers anything different to Italian citizenship, does it? EU passport and work rights/travel within the EU. Although I suppose possibly for the likes of moving to the USA etc.

Don't worry about it too much though. If it looks tricky, at least you have the option to have your child born in the UK. That is after you actually conceive this child Mazi!!

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Apr 21st 2007 at 9:08 am.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 9:07 am

Thank you JAJ, I was rather hoping for a reply from you. But one thing, I won't be living in NZ - been there, done that and my T shirt is very dirty. The NZ passport thing is purely to keep Kiwi BF happy, avoid the 9 hour wait at passport control when we visit BF's family (I'll still have to wait for 9 hours of course but at least the baby could go through with its dad) and to give poor beggar a bolt hole if it all goes T**s up here in Europe.

So, am I naturalised with my British passport then? Incidentally, do you know if I can also apply for a French passport? Not sure why I want one but it sounds quite cool, doesn't it?
Mazi,

I suspect that you are British by descent and NOT by naturalisation since you were born outside the UK.

This is the case with my sister whom was in a similar position to you at birth. And we have had discussions with her about how she needs to have her children born in the UK, ideally, in terms of citizenship 'protection'.

You may be able however to 'upgrade' your British citizenship (just in the same way that others have posted about your future baby's kiwi citizenship) although the fact that you are not currently living in the UK may void this option.

Have a look at your birth certificate and phone whoever in the authorities will be in the know on this stuff. It will be a straightforward answer.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 9:12 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Mazi,

I suspect that you are British by descent and NOT by naturalisation since you were born outside the UK.

This is the case with my sister whom was in a similar position to you at birth. And we have had discussions with her about how she needs to have her children born in the UK, ideally, in terms of citizenship 'protection'.

You may be able however to 'upgrade' your British citizenship (just in the same way that others have posted about your future baby's kiwi citizenship) although the fact that you are not currently living in the UK may void this option.

Have a look at your birth certificate and phone whoever in the authorities will be in the know on this stuff. It will be a straightforward answer.
Shine a light, this is confusing. I have two birth certificates, one French (at birth) and the other British (dated about a year later).

Of course, it's immaterial right now as I'm not pregnant but you have to think about these things, don't you?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 9:45 am

Shine a light, this is confusing. I have two birth certificates, one French (at birth) and the other British (dated about a year later).

Of course, it's immaterial right now as I'm not pregnant but you have to think about these things, don't you?
Sorry - was I confusing? I suppose 'it' is.

NZ citizenship, no problem. But unless you have your child born in NZ (which I know you won't) it will be citizenship 'by descent'. ie this citizenship stops with your children and cannot be passed onto your grandchildren unless they are born in NZ or your child 'upgrades' their kiwi citizenship (by living in NZ)that your BF will give them.

UK citizenship slightly more problematic, because of the factors surrounding your own birth place and stateless position. It is possible, so don't panic, BUT you may need to have your child born in the UK. (This is the bit needing clarification). I think it all depends on what type of UK citizenship you have - by descent or by birth/naturalisation. I think because of what you said earlier about being stateless AND born outside the UK, that you have the former in which case I suspect your child will not get UK citizenship without being born in the UK (because you yourself are now effectively in the same position as your child would be under the kiwi citizenship scenario discussed above - understand?) If however you have the latter, they will get it wherever they are born.

I hope this is clearer. Should also add that I am ONLY writing from my own experience and am not qualified in this area! You need to get expert advice if it is at all important to you, which it obviously is, and quite rightly so.

The short answer is NZ no probs, UK needs checking as child may have to be born in UK to get UK citizenship, because you may be unable to pass on your British citizenship.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:39 am
Account Closed

Sorry - was I confusing? I suppose 'it' is.

NZ citizenship, no problem. But unless you have your child born in NZ (which I know you won't) it will be citizenship 'by descent'. ie this citizenship stops with your children and cannot be passed onto your grandchildren unless they are born in NZ or your child 'upgrades' their kiwi citizenship (by living in NZ)that your BF will give them.

UK citizenship slightly more problematic, because of the factors surrounding your own birth place and stateless position. It is possible, so don't panic, BUT you may need to have your child born in the UK. (This is the bit needing clarification). I think it all depends on what type of UK citizenship you have - by descent or by birth/naturalisation. I think because of what you said earlier about being stateless AND born outside the UK, that you have the former in which case I suspect your child will not get UK citizenship without being born in the UK (because you yourself are now effectively in the same position as your child would be under the kiwi citizenship scenario discussed above - understand?) If however you have the latter, they will get it wherever they are born.

I hope this is clearer. Should also add that I am ONLY writing from my own experience and am not qualified in this area! You need to get expert advice if it is at all important to you, which it obviously is, and quite rightly so.

The short answer is NZ no probs, UK needs checking as child may have to be born in UK to get UK citizenship, because you may be unable to pass on your British citizenship.
Thank you!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:50 am

Thank you!
You're welcome.

Phew - I was expecting a 'whhhaaaaatttt ' type response as I ended up waflling on and on
Old Apr 21st 2007, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

You're welcome.

Phew - I was expecting a 'whhhaaaaatttt ' type response as I ended up waflling on and on
whhhaaaaatttt
Old Apr 21st 2007, 5:31 pm

whhhaaaaatttt

Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Roywyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Mazi, I don't know if this is going to be much help seeing as its been a few weeks since anyone has posted but seeing as no one has said anything about it I thought I would.

I am 21 and currently hold 3 passports. I was born in the USA and so I automatically got an American passport, I have a New Zealand passport from my Father who was born in New Zealand and I have a British passport (British citizenship by descent) from my Mother who was born in England. All 3 were my birth rights.

I have looked into passing my British citizenship to my 'future children' and I found out this: Where the parent is a British citizen by descent additional requirements apply. In the most common scenario, normally the parent is expected to have lived in the UK for three years and apply for the child to be registered as a British citizen within 12 months of the birth.

I am not sure about the laws in Italy but even though neither you or your BF are Italian you might still be able to get your child an Italian passport, however you would have to find this out.
Old May 4th 2007, 10:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Roywyn
Hey Mazi, I don't know if this is going to be much help seeing as its been a few weeks since anyone has posted but seeing as no one has said anything about it I thought I would.

I am 21 and currently hold 3 passports. I was born in the USA and so I automatically got an American passport, I have a New Zealand passport from my Father who was born in New Zealand and I have a British passport (British citizenship by descent) from my Mother who was born in England. All 3 were my birth rights.

I have looked into passing my British citizenship to my 'future children' and I found out this: Where the parent is a British citizen by descent additional requirements apply. In the most common scenario, normally the parent is expected to have lived in the UK for three years and apply for the child to be registered as a British citizen within 12 months of the birth.

I am not sure about the laws in Italy but even though neither you or your BF are Italian you might still be able to get your child an Italian passport, however you would have to find this out.
Thank you! I've been waiting for a 3 passport response.

I'm British by descent, having been born in France - and lived in Britain for 27 years - do you think that counts towards my 3 years, or do the three years you mentioned have to be immediately prior to a child's birth?
Old May 4th 2007, 10:47 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! I've been waiting for a 3 passport response.

I'm British by descent, having been born in France - and lived in Britain for 27 years - do you think that counts towards my 3 years, or do the three years you mentioned have to be immediately prior to a child's birth?
All things come to pass my love......
now: shouldn't you be procreating rather than procrastinating??
Old May 4th 2007, 11:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by karonious
All things come to pass my love......
now: shouldn't you be procreating rather than procrastinating??

Boyfriend is at work
Old May 4th 2007, 11:14 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Boyfriend is at work

Bugger.........do have a spare?
Old May 4th 2007, 11:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by karonious
Bugger.........do have a spare?
I could go and grab an Italian off the street - they're always up for it, so I'm told

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.