Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Not the most computer literate response from Immi. - to main Nz forum

Not the most computer literate response from Immi. - to main Nz forum

Old Feb 22nd 2016, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not the most computer literate response from Immi. - to main Nz forum

"Thank you for your email.
You have sent a standard email through the general enquiry service on our website.
A standard email is not secure and the text can be viewed on any computer server between the sender and Inland Revenue.
Apologies that the only information we can advise from this unsecured channel - is what’s available in Inland Revenue website.
You can just put subject in Search engine.
You may find more information from this link http://www.ird.govt.nz/international...gleaving-index especially under ‘coming to NZ’
You can also either ring our Non-resident centre by phone numbers supplied below or send a letter to postal address advised.
Please contact our Call Centre 64 4 978 0779 from overseas in regards to your enquiry as we are unable to provide any specific information due to your unsecured email.
For further enquiries you can contact us by telephone. The contact number from overseas is 0064 3 951 2020, opening hours are 9 am-4.30 pm Monday – Friday. If you are calling after these hours please leave a message with your name, and contact phone number.
If you are calling from New Zealand you can reach us on 0800 227 774. Opening hours 8.00 am - 8.00 pm to Monday to Friday and 9.00 am - 1.00 pm Saturday.
Alternatively you may write to Inland Revenue PO Box 39010 Wellington Mail Centre Lower Hutt 5045.
Please do not reply to this email.
"

Ummm...as far as I am aware I only asked about the rules for taxation over the first four years. This does not come anywhere near to a state secret.

Quite by chance I have some experience of security and emails so I know how easy it is to make emails secure.

There is no attempt to do this - so this is just a "Jobsworth" response to avoid doing anything vaguely difficult.

If security is viewed as a problem, then provide a simple secure email channel.

Gah! All this wonderful technology around, and the response is "Write to us - or we may take a phone call.".

Ah, well, that is what Skype is for I suppose.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 9:16 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not the most computer literate response from Immi.

I'm not sure what you were asking of NZ Immigration.

If it is about tax law and rules, then they Immy officers are unlikely to exactly know about that. It's not in their remit. They are trained and employed to dish out or not dish out visas per the NZ Govt current immy policy rules.

With regard to tax rules and law, it is best to try and speak with NZ Inland Revenue and hope you get someone that knows about the tax break . Not all do

Or, find yourself a FA who is familiar with both UK and NZ tax law.

Of course, you can ask here. We came out before this 4 year tax break came into being, but there are others who will have experience of this.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not the most computer literate response from Immi. - to main Nz forum

As I recall I followed a link about tax allowances and then went to the link for further information given on the web site.

I may well just print out the email and post it to them - as posted elsewhere it looks like a year at least before any EOI will be pulled from the pool.

I was specifically bitching about the view that email is insecure, so don't use it; phone or send a letter. Given that solicitors and barristers are quite happy to exchange emails with clients about sensitive cases it seems bizarre that Immigration are scared to use it.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not the most computer literate response from Immi. - to main Nz forum

UK Pensions won't even accept an address change by e-mail (phone is apparently more secure) :-)
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 1:24 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kotare View Post
UK Pensions won't even accept an address change by e-mail (phone is apparently more secure) :-)
Yeah, I tried to contact HMRC to tell them about my tax position - no email address. Had to phone.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 5:28 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Quite sensible, email sources are ridiculously easy to fake. Then the onus is on the receiver to verify it...far better to insist on a phone call where sensible verification can be undertaken.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 5:40 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Edit: wrong information

Last edited by Grayling; Feb 23rd 2016 at 5:46 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 5:42 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh View Post
Yeah, I tried to contact HMRC to tell them about my tax position - no email address. Had to phone.
Edit : Wrong information

Last edited by Grayling; Feb 23rd 2016 at 5:46 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Red face Re: Not the most computer literate response from IRD (oops).

That is a sensible precaution - as stated email addresses are amazingly easy to spoof, so anything which makes a significant change to an identity, such as bank account or (snail)mailing address should be confirmed via more than one channel to mitigate identity theft.

This still isn't secure (intercept post at old and new address) but it is much more secure than just accepting an instruction from a registered email address.

Normally I would expect two factor authentication - submit an address change to a web site and before it is actioned send a letter to both old and new addresses to confirm that the address change has been requested by the subject.

However in this case I was asking for generic information to clarify some of the things which weren't made clear in the specific online publications.

So a response of "look on the Internet" was neither helpful or really appropriate.

I will apologise and note that the email was from IRD not Immigration - too many websites at once, I'm afraid. I've updated the subject line.

I can see that they don't want to discuss individual tax records over email but this was just a query about their online documentation. I suppose they have a blanket response to all queries which is not always logical.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Most sites use a 'validate' e-mail or a 'notification' to a pre registered e-mail address.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not the most computer literate response from Immi.

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
With regard to tax rules and law, it is best to try and speak with NZ Inland Revenue and hope you get someone that knows about the tax break . Not all do

Or, find yourself a FA who is familiar with both UK and NZ tax law.
When speaking with IRD, especially their call centre, it is quite likely that you will be speaking to a person who has limited training in taxation, and that they are most likely reading information from a screen. Find a suitable Accountant that is knowledgeable in both NZ and UK taxation. The tax savings and peace of mind is well worth an hour of the Accountants time.