Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Not Long Now and Second Thoughts!

Not Long Now and Second Thoughts!

Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

ptbrophy is on a distinguished road
Default Not Long Now and Second Thoughts!

It was bound to happen!!! I have been soooo excited the past few months, then, we had our leaving party on Friday and that's when it really hit me! I didn't want to go!!!

My party piece was Justin Timberlake Cry Me a River - and I'm not talking about karaoke either!

But now, with only a few days left (we leave on Sunday), I feel excited again! No doubt 'the last supper' on Sat night will be hard! Seems like a rollercoaster!

I know it's only normal but I can't help feel stupid!!!!!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not Long Now and Second Thoughts!

I think we all know how you feel, the emotions are running high and your head is spinning.

For some reason, it feels like the end of the world when you say goodbye to people, it feels like you will never speak to them ever again, and this is your final farewell to the world.

Of course it isn't, you will be on the phone to them probably next week and emails will be flying back and forth immediately.

We aren't there yet, but we are booking our one way flights tonight, and this morning I felt like you, butterfy's, heart thumping and the thought about saying goodbye would bring tears to my eyes.

I should be used to saying 'see ya' as we have spent our lives travelling the world with the military, so you would think this would come easy - it doesn't.

But you are heading to a new beginning, new adventures and new friends, it is perfectly normal to have theses feelings and it's good to talk to people who understand.

Grab life by the horns and ride with it.

All the very very best, good luck

C u out there!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

iain_moore is on a distinguished road

Totally know how you feel - we have moved all around the UK - not as big a move, but saying goodbye to friends is always hard. We have had a big decision about moving to NZ, but as I have said from the start - lifes is too short, and I dont want to be old and grey and thinking - "I wonder what it would have been like it we had done ...."

Its not like you are going to the end of the earth - well it is, but technology is fantastic these days, what with email, web cams etc. It will seem like friends and family are just down the road.

Good luck and you know you've made the right choice.

Iain
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

My Goodness,it has come round so quick Paul. Hope all goes well with the move and please let us know how you are doing once you have settled in. All the best to you both

Phyllis x
Old Nov 25th 2008, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

cwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nice

Originally Posted by weejie
My Goodness,it has come round so quick Paul. Hope all goes well with the move and please let us know how you are doing once you have settled in. All the best to you both

Phyllis x
Hope these last few days go well for you and that you have a great time making the most of friends and family. I'm sure we all know how you're feeling. I'm still waiting for a decision to be made whether to grant me PR or not, but as I will be leaving London in under 4 weeks to go back to my parents for a while I'm finding I'm already saying my goodbyes to friends, and am trying to work out when I'm going to meet others for the last time etc. But they all keep saying 'we'll come out to visit you' so the list of visitors is getting rather long! I'm hoping to be in Wellington end of January and the first lot of visitors will arrive in March I think!!!

Oh and good luck with all the last minute packing!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

I havn't got to a dont want to go bit yet, We had our leaving party on Sat and i was just so excited, at the end of the day all my good friends are on bebo , i have made my gran a bebo account also so she can keep track of me and chat on there. Only thing im dreading is that my gran goes into hosp for hip replacement next wed and we fly out on the sunday i would have preferred to have her home b4 i leave but hey atleast her op getting done

but omg so much to do and so little time lol, oh and we have a viewer to rent house on thur so all coming along nicely phewwwwww fingers crossed they take house lol

caz
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:35 pm
sean n

sean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ptbrophy
It was bound to happen!!! I have been soooo excited the past few months, then, we had our leaving party on Friday and that's when it really hit me! I didn't want to go!!!

My party piece was Justin Timberlake Cry Me a River - and I'm not talking about karaoke either!

But now, with only a few days left (we leave on Sunday), I feel excited again! No doubt 'the last supper' on Sat night will be hard! Seems like a rollercoaster!

I know it's only normal but I can't help feel stupid!!!!!
Hiya,

We moved out here in feb 08, so the memories are still quite raw of those parties.we had one for us adults and then one for the kids and thier school friends etc.

It does get easier but do make the most of everyone and enjoy those hugs thats what i miss!!!!We talk to the family every week on skype which is great, but its not the same.

we had a leaving meal on the evening before we flew and it didnt seem real, infact non of it did untill we left the tarmac at birmingham and i thought god this is it now, it was then that it hit me(bit late really!!).

Good luck and enjoy the flight,its not that bad. You are coming over into great weather, we have sun today and it is very very warm!!!!!!

Take care, vikki
Old Nov 26th 2008, 2:02 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Been there and done that, and now after nearly 4 years we will have to do it all again, we fly back for this Christmas for 3 weeks and as my folk are getting on and not in good shape, it might and probably will be the last time we see them , so got to go through it all again, but at least we get a welcome back one this time.

Good luck with your first part of an even bigger roller coaster ride.

Nige, Dunedin may 05
Old Nov 26th 2008, 2:15 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there PTB,

Not sure if I’ve replied to you yet but here goes anyway…

Like many on this board I’ve been through it too. I can still remember my wife and kids sad faces as I drove away in the taxi, not going to see them for many many months (11 as it turns out – well apart from a short visit at Christmas – not long now, yipeee).

…but you are coming to a GREAT place. The people here are lovely and very supportive. You’re going to arrive at a great time of year with all of summer to look forward to (just a word of advice….remember it does get cold and wet here in winter so think about a houses location relative to the sun, hills etc. and if it has double glazing, good heating and doesn’t smell damp. A hot summers day can mask a multitude of winter worries!)

If you need any help or advice, just shout (via this site or a PM) and I’m sure you’ll get loads of offers – including from me.

Have a good trip and we look forward to seeing you in Wellington.

“On a good day, nowhere in the world is a nice as Wellington”
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

ptbrophy is on a distinguished road

A massive thank you to you all who have made me feel alot better, and for your kind messages of support!

We leave Glasgow at 1030 on Sunday so we are having a quiet meal on Sat night so no doubt another box of tissues!!!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

I think we all have last minute nerves and panic attacks i know i did, didnt think i was going to be able to leave my grandson and family behind. Once i got on the plane i settled down, and have been fine since. We talk to our family everyday on skype, in fact i probably talk to my sister more now than i ever did.

Have a safe journey, you are coming out just as the weather is getting better here in Welly Sent you some Good Luck Karma.
Steph.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:58 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

The ups and downs are terribly normal, but hard going none the less. Through it all you'll find some of the most incredible experiences of your life though.

We said goodbye to family over a couple of days and it was far tougher than I imagined and then we drove in a hire car to Heathrow and stayed the night in the travel lodge. The kids spent about an hour watching planes take off until we all fell asleep together. My older dd now cites that as one of the best and most exciting nights of her life- in a small room with all the cases watching the planes take off and knowing that in the morning it would be her turn and she was flying half way round the world to live in a new country. She gets very wistful about it and I think we've ignited wanderlust in her

Enjoy the enjoyable bits and good luck with the less enjoyable bits- you'll be here next week