British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Not a happy bunny.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/not-happy-bunny-644700/)

Matewx Dec 14th 2009 5:32 am

Not a happy bunny....

...And I don't know why...

Been feeling rather weird the past few weeks and today anything makes me cry!!!

I first thought it was coz I miss home n family n Xmas coming up etc.... But no - I dont think so...

Ah! I'll have a couple of whites n hopefully it'll all go away....

Jan n Neil Dec 14th 2009 5:37 am

Re: Not a happy bunny....

We went to a Santa parade in Rangiora yesterday (which was quite bizarre but that's another story) and I started crying cos my mum died last year and I suddenly wanted her to know where I was.

I have come to the conclusion that emigrating is filled with emotion, and you just have to go with it

Jan xx

Justcol Dec 14th 2009 5:56 am

have you been getting hot flushes as well :o

Hmmmm i'll check my Terry Wogan big book of self diagnosis
and get back to you

BEVS Dec 14th 2009 6:05 am

You and your partner have had stresses this year. It's not surprising you feel emotional. . Just look at what you have both achieved and are also up against. It's a huge change you have both wrought so don't be surprised at an emotional kick-back at this time.

My own emotions are playing havoc at the moment. My Dad died at the beginning of this year & I have been finding it all really quite tough going as the festive season comes upon us.( not belittling the way you feel at all .Please know that I mean this)

Change makes for an emotional response. At least I think this is how it is.

Am Loolah Dec 14th 2009 6:13 am

Hormones .... :confused:

It's all that flirting with "the ladies" on here that does it.:sneaky:

Lorna at Vicenza Dec 14th 2009 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 8170468)
...And I don't know why...

Been feeling rather weird the past few weeks and today anything makes me cry!!!

I first thought it was coz I miss home n family n Xmas coming up etc.... But no - I dont think so...

Ah! I'll have a couple of whites n hopefully it'll all go away....

If you were a girl I'd ask if you were pregnant :D

Hope you soon feel more up and less down.

pixi-dust Dec 14th 2009 6:46 am

We arrived in an October, many moons ago, and I remember feeling a bit teary at this time of the year, I put it down to first year so far away from family, friends and everything I knew as normal before.
Hope you feel better soon xxx

MnB Dec 14th 2009 1:09 pm

(((big hugs))) hope you're feeling on top of the world at the bottom of the world soon hun ;)x

Psychopandy Dec 14th 2009 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by MnB (Post 8171309)
(((big hugs))) hope you're feeling on top of the world at the bottom of the world soon hun ;)x

I think you are in need of a big hug and a lot of loving - hope your OH can step up to the mark and fix you :wub: After all its all we got aint it :D

TeamEmbo Dec 14th 2009 5:35 pm

It can just be like that sometimes - suddenly out of nowhere it seems a wave of overwhelming sadness and no matter how I try to rationalise it, just can't put my finger on why. I don't know if I get sad for the things I miss or people I can no longer share any news with but certain times of the year it gets magnified.

Four years ago today (when we were in UK) my dad made the journey up to our house to personally deliver xmas presents. I made him a roast chicken dinner. He stayed up late insisting he wrap the presents himself. The next day he went to my sister's house and did the same and stayed a couple of days for her birthday before driving the 300 miles home. It was the first time he'd done that but he often did unusual things.

He was home for one night and the day after Mum rang to say he'd been rushed into hospital. I drove my sister and I down to be with him. Three weeks in ITU and then we brought him home to pass away peacefully in his own bed with all 5 of us children there and our mum. He was only 65 but had a heart condition so I'd been expecting this all my life.

He always wanted his kids to travel and experience the world and I'm here now in NZ and somehow I feel like he's here too and enjoying the chance to travel with us. That's a comfort.

So, when I feel down I remind myself there is nothing I can do to change certain things but I can make myself feel better by counting blessings of what I do have today:

Today, I am healthy, my husband and kids are healthy, I am not alone - I have a hand to hold, someone to hug me even if I don't have the words to explain why I feel sad right now, I have a roof over my head, a job to pay the bills, food in the pantry and friends I can rely on. And for today, that's enough.

I think sometimes you just have to be kind to yourself, count your blessings and allow yourself time to "just be" whilst the wave passes.

MnB Dec 14th 2009 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 8171934)
It can just be like that sometimes - suddenly out of nowhere it seems a wave of overwhelming sadness and no matter how I try to rationalise it, just can't put my finger on why. I don't know if I get sad for the things I miss or people I can no longer share any news with but certain times of the year it gets magnified.

Four years ago today (when we were in UK) my dad made the journey up to our house to personally deliver xmas presents. I made him a roast chicken dinner. He stayed up late insisting he wrap the presents himself. The next day he went to my sister's house and did the same and stayed a couple of days for her birthday before driving the 300 miles home. It was the first time he'd done that but he often did unusual things.

He was home for one night and the day after Mum rang to say he'd been rushed into hospital. I drove my sister and I down to be with him. Three weeks in ITU and then we brought him home to pass away peacefully in his own bed with all 5 of us children there and our mum. He was only 65 but had a heart condition so I'd been expecting this all my life.

He always wanted his kids to travel and experience the world and I'm here now in NZ and somehow I feel like he's here too and enjoying the chance to travel with us. That's a comfort.

So, when I feel down I remind myself there is nothing I can do to change certain things but I can make myself feel better by counting blessings of what I do have today:

Today, I am healthy, my husband and kids are healthy, I am not alone - I have a hand to hold, someone to hug me even if I don't have the words to explain why I feel sad right now, I have a roof over my head, a job to pay the bills, food in the pantry and friends I can rely on. And for today, that's enough.

I think sometimes you just have to be kind to yourself, count your blessings and allow yourself time to "just be" whilst the wave passes.

:wub: Hope this helps Matewx as much as its helped me.
Lovely post...thanks
B x

scrubbedexpat094 Dec 14th 2009 6:54 pm

Oh you poor lamb (bunny);) Just want to send you a huge hug. I've had days like that (though I tend to blame my hormones, being of a certain age ;)). You will get through it.

I can't improve on what TeamEmbo said. But I'm thinking about you hun :wub:

bourbon-biscuit Dec 15th 2009 1:10 am

Emigrating is a Big Deal. Takes ages to realise that I think- heading for my third Kiwi Xmas and my fourth year living overseas and I still feel emotional and at a loss sometimes. Just be gentle with yourself, it's all part of the process.

Am Loolah Dec 15th 2009 3:14 am

How are you feeling today gorgeous boy?:wub:

Jan n Neil Dec 15th 2009 3:41 am

I,m fine thanks for asking :o

Neil