Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Not enough boxes for a container but....

Not enough boxes for a container but....

Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:25 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not enough boxes for a container but....

Hope maybe someone (a guitarist would understand!) can advise please...
We are thinking of shipping over a few boxes ( possibly only 3 or 4) one of which may contain OH's Guitar amp (Fender I think) which is heavy!!

Is it worth the cost of shipping? & would amp stand up to it? or should OH leave it here & replace in NZ?

Have done a search on here but not found any answers, have looked at sevenseas worldwide but the amp is above the weight limit they list on web site so time to pick your brains please!!

B x
Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:46 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not enough boxes for a container but....

Have you tried asking the airline you're travelling with to see if they could fly them over with you and what freight charges might be?
Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:55 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo View Post
Have you tried asking the airline you're travelling with to see if they could fly them over with you and what freight charges might be?
Thanks TeamEmbro....flying Air NZ not asked them yet but good thinking! Think the weight may be a problem but guess touring celebs must do this
B x
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:15 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

hmm... if you want the amp on the same flight as you, you should probably get it a flight case (in fact, the airline will probably refuse to take it if not)... or buy it a seat (which may be cheaper than the flight case!!)... (spot the stoof from a family of roadies and musicians!!)
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:51 am
MnB

Originally Posted by Stoof View Post
hmm... if you want the amp on the same flight as you, you should probably get it a flight case (in fact, the airline will probably refuse to take it if not)... or buy it a seat (which may be cheaper than the flight case!!)... (spot the stoof from a family of roadies and musicians!!)
Thanks Stoof
Not vital that it travels on same flight but trying to find safest / most cost effective way to get it over ....or would OH be better off buying similar when in NZ? In two minds at the moment!
B x
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MnB View Post
Thanks Stoof
Not vital that it travels on same flight but trying to find safest / most cost effective way to get it over ....or would OH be better off buying similar when in NZ? In two minds at the moment!
B x
amps can be funny things... is OH particularly attached to the sound it makes? is it vintage and difficult to come by? does it have a knob that goes to 11? is there a sentimental attachment to it? if it's just a new(ish) mass production job, then i'd be tempted to check out if a similar (or same) could be bought here and stick it on ebay or in the local music shop (or maybe some mates might be interested?) ... if not, then it's going to need packing properly however it comes over or it might not make it in one piece... i'd say if it was coming in a container, then export wrap would be fine, but if it's travelling by itself (so to speak) then i'd pack it more 'seriously' to protect it. dunno if that helps at all!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:15 pm
MnB

amps can be funny things... is OH particularly attached to the sound it makes? is it vintage and difficult to come by? does it have a knob that goes to 11? is there a sentimental attachment to it? if it's just a new(ish) mass production job, then i'd be tempted to check out if a similar (or same) could be bought here and stick it on ebay or in the local music shop (or maybe some mates might be interested?) ... if not, then it's going to need packing properly however it comes over or it might not make it in one piece... i'd say if it was coming in a container, then export wrap would be fine, but if it's travelling by itself (so to speak) then i'd pack it more 'seriously' to protect it. dunno if that helps at all!
Thanks again Stoof....looking at all the pro's, con's & your replies & bearing in mind that amps can be funny things!! OH more inclined to leave amp here (despite knob that goes up to 11! lol)
Looked on Trade me...not much about at the moment....have you got any idea's re suppliers of 2nd hand gear?
Ta very much
B x
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:10 am
Account Closed

hmm... don't know any proper musicians here, (and i'm not one either!!), so i'm not going to be much help there - sorry! i googled 'secondhand musical instruments auckland' and there were quite a few links - top hit was http://bungalowbills.com/index.php ... there's also one i hear advertised on radio quite a lot http://www.rockshop.co.nz/04/start.php but dunno if either have a good reputation or not.... and i'm sorry, but i'm not sure where here you're headed to... i guess any larger centre of population is going to have more choice when it comes to secondhand music stuff (as with everything else!) now, if you needed to know about Leeds, Edinburgh, Glasgow or London... i could be a bit more helpful (or at least, i know other people that could!!)

good luck!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:24 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

hmm... don't know any proper musicians here, (and i'm not one either!!), so i'm not going to be much help there - sorry! i googled 'secondhand musical instruments auckland' and there were quite a few links - top hit was http://bungalowbills.com/index.php ... there's also one i hear advertised on radio quite a lot http://www.rockshop.co.nz/04/start.php but dunno if either have a good reputation or not.... and i'm sorry, but i'm not sure where here you're headed to... i guess any larger centre of population is going to have more choice when it comes to secondhand music stuff (as with everything else!) now, if you needed to know about Leeds, Edinburgh, Glasgow or London... i could be a bit more helpful (or at least, i know other people that could!!)

good luck!
I know nothing about musical equipment but I know the Rockshop is good, OH & a mate have bought stuff from there
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:49 am
MnB

Thanks Stoof & Vitalstat's

Will get OH to have a look at sites.

Stoof... as yet we are unsure about where we are going to settle. No jobs dictating location, we have friends in BoP, Wellington & Cambridge and love Northland!! so who knows where we'll end up!!

Ta again for your help
B x