Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Not Emigrating now, research books for sale!!

Not Emigrating now, research books for sale!!

Old Jan 1st 2007, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

GINGERSEAMONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutGINGERSEAMONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutGINGERSEAMONSTER has a spectacular aura about
Default Not Emigrating now, research books for sale!!

After over a year of research in books and on line through this forum and other websites we were 95% sure we were going to emigrate down under to either Whangarei, Tauranga or Hawkes Bay area. It all hinged on the outcome of my wifes recce, which she went on for 2 weeks in November.

She was very thorough, checking out houses, which were more expensive than was apparent on line, weekly shopping bills, utility etc etc

one other thing she picked up on was the complete lack of outside news, if it weren't happening in NZ, it weren't happening at all. no reports on the war in iraq or afghan or israel/palestine, nothing from America (probably a good thing!), and not much from Aus. this struck her as being very insular.

Also, an almost complete abscence of late teen. early twenty year olds. this is no doubt due to them all being overseas earning a buck as there is no work for them in NZ. As such this was another factor as she does not want our son to grow up over there and then have to emigrate to US, UK or wherever to find work.

As such we have decided to stay put in the UK as we both have good jobs and a small mortgage, so have too much to give up to move and see if maybe it would work out for us. there are lots of other reasons for not going too many to list on here.

So, we now have a load of NZ books we no longer need. They are as follows:

Living and Working in NZ-Mark Hempshell £12.95
Going to live in NZ-Mary Neilson, Mathew Collins £12.99
Emigrating to Nz - Steve Horrell £10.99
A new life in NZ- Paul Goddard £9.99
NZ a pictorial journey-David Kerr £7.00
Landscapes of NZ - Warren Jacobs £13.00
NZ touring Atlas £10.00 (good condition)

All of the books are in excellent condition, the price they cost me is as above. if you would like them, pm or e-mail with your offer and we can sort out postage etc

good luck to anyone else who is hoping to emigrate, hope it works out for you

Gary
Old Jan 1st 2007, 6:45 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Not Emigrating now, research books for sale!!

Originally Posted by GINGERSEAMONSTER
one other thing she picked up on was the complete lack of outside news, if it weren't happening in NZ, it weren't happening at all. no reports on the war in iraq or afghan or israel/palestine, nothing from America (probably a good thing!), and not much from Aus. this struck her as being very insular.
Yup, but it's not such a bad thing. New Zealand's remoteness is an advantage in some ways. Who needs all that drama in the Middle East for a daily diet?

Also, an almost complete abscence of late teen. early twenty year olds. this is no doubt due to them all being overseas earning a buck as there is no work for them in NZ. As such this was another factor as she does not want our son to grow up over there and then have to emigrate to US, UK or wherever to find work.
Fair enough. However, who knows? It might be best to have a little ol' hidey-hole here in the South Pacific.
As such we have decided to stay put in the UK as we both have good jobs and a small mortgage, so have too much to give up to move and see if maybe it would work out for us. there are lots of other reasons for not going too many to list on here.
You are wise to do what is best for you and yours.

Gary
Same to you.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

More like, all the 20 year olds were away at university - the towns you were looking at were all small, and the kids that wanted to further their education would have had to have gone to one of the seven university towns to further their study, uless the local polytech was going to give them the training they wanted.
If you had have gone to Palmerston North during term time then you would have seen a very different story.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 9:38 pm
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

After over a year of research in books and on line through this forum and other websites we were 95% sure we were going to emigrate down under to either Whangarei, Tauranga or Hawkes Bay area. It all hinged on the outcome of my wifes recce, which she went on for 2 weeks in November.

She was very thorough, checking out houses, which were more expensive than was apparent on line, weekly shopping bills, utility etc etc

So, we now have a load of NZ books we no longer need. They are as follows:

Living and Working in NZ-Mark Hempshell £12.95
Going to live in NZ-Mary Neilson, Mathew Collins £12.99
Emigrating to Nz - Steve Horrell £10.99
A new life in NZ- Paul Goddard £9.99
NZ a pictorial journey-David Kerr £7.00
Landscapes of NZ - Warren Jacobs £13.00
NZ touring Atlas £10.00 (good condition)

All of the books are in excellent condition, the price they cost me is as above. if you would like them, pm or e-mail with your offer and we can sort out postage etc

Gary

Why don't you burn them? That is the one thing I dislike most about NZ - the complete absence of a decent newspaper. I rely on the bbc online website for my news.

Last edited by Dirk1971; Jan 1st 2007 at 9:39 pm. Reason: Forgot a minor whinge
Old Jan 1st 2007, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dirk1971
Why don't you burn them? That is the one thing I dislike most about NZ - the complete absence of a decent newspaper. I rely on the bbc online website for my news.

Only one thing........surely not.

Kip
Old Jan 1st 2007, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Biscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the rough

A SlingBox and the Internet should give anyone the opportunity to watch the same programming that they would receive in their home city/country - from anywhere else in the world.

Granted, this may not be an acceptable solution if your disappointment lies more in the "insular" attitude than the availability of news programming.

-Biscuits
Old Jan 1st 2007, 11:25 pm
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kippers
Only one thing........surely not.

Kip
Im going to Brisbane in 4 days time. Im sure the trauma of the last five years will all be forgotten in time...won't they???
Old Jan 1st 2007, 11:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Biscuits
A SlingBox and the Internet should give anyone the opportunity to watch the same programming that they would receive in their home city/country - from anywhere else in the world.

Granted, this may not be an acceptable solution if your disappointment lies more in the "insular" attitude than the availability of news programming.

-Biscuits
The media is great here if you can live on a steady diet of rugby, kiwi achievement and the most boring political landscape known to man. Excuse me while I turn the morphine drip onto max, must dull the pain....
Old Jan 1st 2007, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

Biscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the rough

The media is great here if you can live on a steady diet of rugby, kiwi achievement and the most boring political landscape known to man. Excuse me while I turn the morphine drip onto max, must dull the pain....
Exactly the reason you should consider the SlingBox.

If I do leave the US, I will absolutely be giving a friend or family member a SlingBox and a monthly subsidy to keep me connected to all of the programming that I have a sick addiction to.

Besides having familiar and, IMHO, superior programming, I would also be saving money compared to buying the "best" SKY TV package.

-Biscuits
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 12:33 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds great to me! I hate hearing about nothing but US politics the whole time.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 5:19 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Sounds great to me! I hate hearing about nothing but US politics the whole time.
Me too. Surely a boring political landscape means that there's nothing much going on here to get excited about? Like, for instance, wars, famine, drought I'm sure lots of people in the UK & the US would love a bit of our boredom, without having to travel to the other side of the world for it. I read the online paper from Ireland and it only makes me angry - so I stop reading. I was a news junkie living in Europe - I still watch BBC World and CNN and with the amount of information available on the WWW I don't feel I'm missing out on anything at all. Actually, scratch that - I do feel I'm missing out on all the crap that's going on

Dirk, now that you've decided to leave NZ I bet you'll be hard pushed before you leave to find one thing you like about it. That's entirely normal but it's also normal that in a year or so you'll remember the things you enjoyed whilst you were here. It's a big decision to make and for some reason most people find it difficult to move on before it comes to the point of hating where they are. I've got the t-shirt so I'm not talking through my behind and not having a go either I've upped sticks and moved to another country 5 times.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 2:44 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
That's entirely normal but it's also normal that in a year or so you'll remember the things you enjoyed whilst you were here. It's a big decision to make and for some reason most people find it difficult to move on before it comes to the point of hating where they are. I've got the t-shirt so I'm not talking through my behind and not having a go either I've upped sticks and moved to another country 5 times.
Wow! You've got me beaten then, I've only done it twice. Hopefully 3 times in the next few months... things might start moving very quickly for us, as hubby's employers are fairly rapidly going out of business due to competition from China. Same all over for manufacturing. I think he rather fancies the idea of being a kept man in NZ anyway.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 7:58 pm
Banned

Dirk, now that you've decided to leave NZ I bet you'll be hard pushed before you leave to find one thing you like about it. That's entirely normal but it's also normal that in a year or so you'll remember the things you enjoyed whilst you were here. It's a big decision to make and for some reason most people find it difficult to move on before it comes to the point of hating where they are. I've got the t-shirt so I'm not talking through my behind and not having a go either I've upped sticks and moved to another country 5 times.
Actually, i've moved twice. South Africa and NZ. So I know the score. I don't hate NZ. It's an OK place to live. I would rather be back in either England or South Africa though. But hope OZ is a decent compromise.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 4:49 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, i've moved twice. South Africa and NZ. So I know the score. I don't hate NZ. It's an OK place to live. I would rather be back in either England or South Africa though. But hope OZ is a decent compromise.
Go where you're happiest. Life's far too short to compromise on something that important. As my hubby says "do the deal, sort the s**t out later"
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 4:58 am
Banned

Go where you're happiest. Life's far too short to compromise on something that important. As my hubby says "do the deal, sort the s**t out later"
what countries have you lived in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.