Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Not another climate thread

Not another climate thread

Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:54 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Not another climate thread

I know, I know another weather thread

But I have been checking out the climate for North Island and when compared to UK weather they appear to be very similar, apart from a lot more rainfall in NZ. I found this surprising, dont know why I just did. I thought it would be longer summers and much milder winters. But the data just appeared to be the same just 6 months apart.

How have you found the weather comapred to the UK?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of
Default Re: Not another climate thread

Originally Posted by Jack Daws

But I have been checking out the climate for North Island and when compared to UK weather they appear to be very similar, apart from a lot more rainfall in NZ. I found this surprising, dont know why I just did. I thought it would be longer summers and much milder winters. But the data just appeared to be the same just 6 months apart.

We haven't done a summer yet, but I can safely say that the winter here was much milder and sunnier than any southern England winter that I can remember. We had 4-5 mornings when there was a very light ground frost and the temperature had dipped to 1-2 degrees c. ALL days went well into double figures, typically 13-15 degrees. When the sun shines, which is a fair bit, it feels much warmer than that. Warm enough in fact to maintain a tan all winter. As well as the higher temperatures, there is MUCH more light here. None of those mid winter days where it seems as though the sun hasn't come up.
I would say though that the lack of heating in our house has made it feel cold sometimes. We will be putting in heat pumps as soon as we've saved up!!
We're in Tauranga by the way.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:43 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markk
We haven't done a summer yet, but I can safely say that the winter here was much milder and sunnier than any southern England winter that I can remember. We had 4-5 mornings when there was a very light ground frost and the temperature had dipped to 1-2 degrees c. ALL days went well into double figures, typically 13-15 degrees. When the sun shines, which is a fair bit, it feels much warmer than that. Warm enough in fact to maintain a tan all winter. As well as the higher temperatures, there is MUCH more light here. None of those mid winter days where it seems as though the sun hasn't come up.
I would say though that the lack of heating in our house has made it feel cold sometimes. We will be putting in heat pumps as soon as we've saved up!!
We're in Tauranga by the way.
Thanks Mark

Dont wash cars do you?

If not forget the question
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Mark

Dont wash cars do you?

I don't lnow where the stastics come from I have had frost on my car once in 5 years and that came off with a thin peice of card!!!!

When you are compareing you stats be more specific pick the place in NZ you want to live and look at that in comparrission to where you are now on a daily basis. Remmber its like asking someone that lives in Glasgow and someone that lives in Cornwall and expecting the same reply.

We are only few but our land size is same as UK and thats just the North island.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Thanks Mark

Dont wash cars do you?

No, why do you ask?
Are you thinking of doing that?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:59 pm
Banned

No, why do you ask?
Are you thinking of doing that?
Remember 'Get a new life' ?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

we have been here since april, & have found the weather not as cold as UK. we are 1 hr from wellington, there have been snow up on the mountain ranges but not in the towns, frost isn't what frost is in the uk.
even at the mo when the suns out its very warm, cos the suns stronger here,
Old Oct 29th 2006, 9:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jueinnz
I don't lnow where the stastics come from I have had frost on my car once in 5 years and that came off with a thin peice of card!!!!

When you are compareing you stats be more specific pick the place in NZ you want to live and look at that in comparrission to where you are now on a daily basis. Remmber its like asking someone that lives in Glasgow and someone that lives in Cornwall and expecting the same reply.

We are only few but our land size is same as UK and thats just the North island.
Whangarei area is where Id like
Old Oct 29th 2006, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Remember 'Get a new life' ?
Certainly do! In fact we've met Paul and Julie and they said it was very hard work! We asked them about doing franchises and they pointed out the pros and cons. We were going to do one ourselves but are now going it alone!
Old Oct 29th 2006, 9:06 pm
Banned

Certainly do! In fact we've met Paul and Julie and they said it was very hard work! We asked them about doing franchises and they pointed out the pros and cons. We were going to do one ourselves but are now going it alone!
Yeah thats right. I forgot his name was Paul, thought it may of been Mark hence the reference

He used to go by the username Firing1 on here.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 9:14 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah thats right. I forgot his name was Paul, thought it may of been Mark hence the reference

He used to go by the username Firing1 on here.
Climate here in the UK is beyond strange at the moment. We had 17 degrees today, 2 days from November and our flower beds are still in full bloom! I find it a little worrying!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Garden.bmp (167.4 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Am Loolah; Oct 29th 2006 at 9:16 pm. Reason: won't upload mobile photo!
Old Oct 29th 2006, 9:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Climate here in the UK is beyond strange at the moment. We had 17 degrees today, 2 days from November and our flower beds are still in full bloom! I find it a little worrying!
Tell me about it. Well nice today
Old Oct 30th 2006, 6:16 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

I'm near Hamilton (north island just below Auckland beyond the Bombeys) and it rains a lot! It gets to me. It feels damp here too and we get thick fog in winter. When it rains I feel like I'm in Wales and I don't liek Wales much. And we get cracking frosts - hard ones. The first we had was in March this year and we've only just turned the woodburner off.
I thnk if I had central heating, my house was double brick and double glazed it'd be fine.
On Saturday, here it was rainy all day : we took the horses to the beach at Waihi on the bottom of the Coromandel Peninsula and the sun was gleaming. We miss living on the coast too.

Last edited by mumomonty; Oct 30th 2006 at 6:19 am. Reason: lll
Old Oct 30th 2006, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Crap weather here again today.... I cannot remember the last time we had a nice day... I think it was in the school holidays as we had a picnic down on the beach. The weather forecaster said that its gonna be nice over the next few days so I'm looking forward to that!

So compared to where we lived in UK......... Auckland is milder, no doubt about that. I have worn my coat about 6 times in the 16 months we have been here and cant even tell you where it is right now. Believe people on here when they say its quite often warmer outside the houses than inside... thats so true!!

Last winter here was beautiful... mild and wet but with lovely sunny days too, warm enough to sit out in the garden... the summer was warm but not too hot and yes it was much longer than UK summers. This winter has been colder and much longer.... its been more like UK weather this year with endless cloudy grey dull days. I'm sure once the summer gets here it will be lovely and we'll all be moaning that its too hot!! lol... I will anyway as I'm fat and lardy right now and its only gonna get worse! :scared:
Old Oct 30th 2006, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumomonty
I'm near Hamilton (north island just below Auckland beyond the Bombeys) and it rains a lot! It gets to me. It feels damp here too and we get thick fog in winter. When it rains I feel like I'm in Wales and I don't liek Wales much. And we get cracking frosts - hard ones. The first we had was in March this year and we've only just turned the woodburner off.
I thnk if I had central heating, my house was double brick and double glazed it'd be fine.
On Saturday, here it was rainy all day : we took the horses to the beach at Waihi on the bottom of the Coromandel Peninsula and the sun was gleaming. We miss living on the coast too.
We have no heating in the house we have bought...oh, theres an open fire upstairs which we have used a few times so far. We intend to get a heat pump for downstairs before next winter or its gonna be mighty cold living here!!

Oh you lucky thing.... I wish I could ride. I am missing it bigtime now. I even dreamt the other night that I was out riding. I woke up longing to be back in the saddle. Tomorrow morning after I drop DS at pre-school I am spending some time with my horse... just gonna brush him and tidy him up etc... already got some carrots all ready for him... I am SO looking forward to spending some time with him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.