Not allowed items

Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

iain_moore is on a distinguished road
Default Not allowed items

Hi,

Does anyone know of a list of items we are not allowed to bring into New Zealand when we emmigrate? I understand there are certain garden items, but is there actually a list?

Many thanks

Iain
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not allowed items

Have you looked on the MAF website?

I know we are cleaning all our garden furniture with Jayas fluid and that goes for all bikes etc, all mud and dirt must be cleaned and all rust marks painted over.

We have been told we can't bring any herbs and spices in, but I think only certain ones you can't but our shippers have generalised it to cover all for ease.

You can't bring in pinecones on your Christmas decorations and any bees wax.

Your Hoover has to be cleaned completely and so do walking boots and anything that has come into contact with farm animals and land.

But I'm sure I have seen a list on the MAF website.

Old Nov 19th 2008, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

no paint either and any ratten furniture and things like kid on flowers you know the woodeny ones lol
Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

klicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant future

Does anybody know if your allowed to take an artificial x mas tree over ???Otherwise i have to sell it before this month
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klicker
Does anybody know if your allowed to take an artificial x mas tree over ???Otherwise i have to sell it before this month
My daughter took hers.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

I just brought mine over and of all the things they looked at, the xmas tree was examined the most, she spent ages going over it with a fine tooth comb.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

asked anglo pacific guy when he was here last week and xmas trees are fine aslong as no acorns on them
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

klicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant future

Thank you !!! Think i am going to take it with me then
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
asked anglo pacific guy when he was here last week and xmas trees are fine aslong as no acorns on them
Was he referring to a real tree?
Crumbs-what's wrong with a little old oak tree?
Did that chap know his cones from his corns?
The Crown man more or less said anything artificial was OK. My case loads of silk flowers are washed and packed!
Raffia/ratten/some wooden ornaments were possible querry and anything with UK dirt on it!

Strange really when there are numerous sail boats/yachts entering NZ waters and small quays at small seaside communities and not a sign of a MAF inspector/customs officer in sight.
The rules are strict and necessary but should be applied unilaterally not just on the poor sods who have no option but to comply.
By the way how many of you who have travelled to NZ have washed/disinfected walking boots/shoes before packing them or had them inspected on landing, if wearing them?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:09 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Often the checks of various boats are done offshore.

I scrubbed my shoes which were visibly dirty. The rest were high heels I wore to the pub - they wouldn't have been within 500 metres of grass, let alone anywhere near a farm
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jennifer45
Was he referring to a real tree?
Crumbs-what's wrong with a little old oak tree?
Did that chap know his cones from his corns?
The Crown man more or less said anything artificial was OK. My case loads of silk flowers are washed and packed!
Raffia/ratten/some wooden ornaments were possible querry and anything with UK dirt on it!

Strange really when there are numerous sail boats/yachts entering NZ waters and small quays at small seaside communities and not a sign of a MAF inspector/customs officer in sight.
The rules are strict and necessary but should be applied unilaterally not just on the poor sods who have no option but to comply.
By the way how many of you who have travelled to NZ have washed/disinfected walking boots/shoes before packing them or had them inspected on landing, if wearing them?
lmao i meant cones ...
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We brought all our outside garden furniture - wooden tables/chairs, garden seat swing, bbq, plus some garden tools, bikes, golf clubs, lawnmower, strimmer, wellies, outdoor shoes, car roofbox and bike rack - I scrubbed and cleaned them and covered them in Jeyes fluid before they were packed.

Our container arrived on the 17th November (we have been here nearly 5 weeks) and it is being delivered to our rental on the 24th, and MAF are coming round to inspect all the outside stuff plus the dog crates and Christmas decs. Hopefully everything will be okay, as I did my best to scrub everything spotless and disinfect it (well, not the Christmas decs!).

MAF are charging $385 for coming round to inspect on Monday and we are not allowed to unwrap any of the furniture/items they are interested in until they arrive.

If they are unhappy with anything, the removal van has to take it to a depot to be sprayed and we will have to pay up front for the removal van to take it away and then liaise with the depot regarding further charges.

So, fingers crossed MAF will be happy with my cleaning efforts.

We also brought some wicker baskets and all the Christmas decorations, including an artificial tree. I removed any pine cones that were attached to anything and got rid of anything 'real' - you know like those log things you can buy with cones attached!

We did have to use a 40ft container though to bring all this stuff

Moomoo
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess

I scrubbed my shoes which were visibly dirty. The rest were high heels I wore to the pub - they wouldn't have been within 500 metres of grass, let alone anywhere near a farm
LOL
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

We brought ours with no problem ;-)
Old Nov 20th 2008, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iain_moore
Hi,

Does anyone know of a list of items we are not allowed to bring into New Zealand when we emmigrate? I understand there are certain garden items, but is there actually a list?

Many thanks

Iain
Iain, I phoned MAF up before shipping our container to check with them about what goods if any I should leave behind, found it easier to speak to them in person 'just to be sure'. I was trying to avoid the extra cost of having our shipment inspected but after all that it didn't work, as I stupidly wrote 'stuffed frog' on our inventory list (it was just a large soft cloth toy), and they were very keen to have a look at it!! The other boxes they wanted to see were the Christmas decorations, and our camping gear. They checked the decorations carefully. I left some gorgeous large woven and wicker and cane baskets behind because I thought I'd have problems with them, but they wouldn't have cared less it seems. I mean, those types of items are imported in the millions here after all...

Seriously, it's all in how you write your inventory. Of course, they could just randomly choose to inspect your container even if there's nothing that stands out on the inventory, so you could still get hit up with a large inspection fee - but christmas tree/decorations, 'artificial' or not, will definitely get their attention, just so you know....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.