Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

not all it seems, (no bitchy comments pls)

not all it seems, (no bitchy comments pls)

Old Aug 30th 2006, 9:00 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: not all it seems, (no bitchy comments pls)

Originally Posted by Tooanfrom
You my trusting friend have been "had"--how many times can you ask for just a $ in an hour? Beats working for a living!
I know BUT. I always think it could be my child stuck for a way home. Although, at nearly 25, I'd be worried if he was looking for a dollar
Old Aug 30th 2006, 9:00 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

You my trusting friend have been "had"--how many times can you ask for just a $ in an hour? Beats working for a living!
I can see what you are saying, but if this was the case in this instance, the girl would have gladly taken the money, especially given the skin colour, don't you think?
Old Aug 30th 2006, 9:01 am

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
I know BUT. I always think it could be my child stuck for a way home. Although, at nearly 25, I'd be worried if he was looking for a dollar
Exactly. That's what I'd always think with a child too.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 9:04 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Yes probably. I like the humour also, I just noticed unlike previous visits how un PC it was in that people do just say what they think which is considered totally acceptable. Occasionally it did make me feel uncomfortable since I just thought it was so different to the way people speak in England, but no-one else was bothered so I didn't let it bother me either. Just a bit more like Aus than I had noticed previously. And also 'caus the UK is just going ridiculous. Good to have a balance I think.

Sad about the $1 bus fare. But good that you were happy to help.
I do know what you mean about noticing stuff though. I was at a conference where there was a (very long) personality thingy bobby yoke Anyway, the facilitator said something about people running 'like a little black sambo' Lots of people looked at each other and asked if she really had said that! It made me realise that things do unconsciously take root in your mind and what might have been acceptable a few years ago just isn't now.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 9:05 am
By name and by nature

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
I can see what you are saying, but if this was the case in this instance, the girl would have gladly taken the money, especially given the skin colour, don't you think?
I like you That's what I'd think too. And tbh, I do believe she was genuine.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

Got your purse out-answer yes. They got a good look-yes. No "big money"-no? Ok you do not get rolled. Spot "big money"--wake up in hospital-if you are lucky.

I know you think me a tad cynical--after 17 yrs working in a jail over here and seeing what is visiting the crims --you might be a bit more wary.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 12:27 pm

[QUOTE=Tooanfrom]Got your purse out-answer yes. They got a good look-yes. No "big money"-no? Ok you do not get rolled. Spot "big money"--wake up in hospital-if you are lucky. QUOTE]

I have never been someone that people would call naive, BUT I didn't think of that for a second!! Sometimes I hate the way the world is.

Tooanfrom - does your job have an adverse effect on your outlook on life and the way you deal with people & situations that you wouldn't otherwise do? It must be very difficult dealing with people on a daily basis that I know I wouldn't like in the slightest. Tough one indeed.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi]
Got your purse out-answer yes. They got a good look-yes. No "big money"-no? Ok you do not get rolled. Spot "big money"--wake up in hospital-if you are lucky. QUOTE]

I have never been someone that people would call naive, BUT I didn't think of that for a second!! Sometimes I hate the way the world is.

Tooanfrom - does your job have an adverse effect on your outlook on life and the way you deal with people & situations that you wouldn't otherwise do? It must be very difficult dealing with people on a daily basis that I know I wouldn't like in the slightest. Tough one indeed.
Unfortunately working for the Justice dept in any arena-Probation/Social worker/Youth Officer/Police/Prison you and your immediate family are influenced by your experiences in your work environment. I had to retire from the jail on medical grounds-Stress related sickness is the biggest problem. I really wish I could go back to the days when I did not have the knowledge and experience,of how really evil some people can be,that I have now. So the answer to your question --Yes.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Whatever role you have in society you are a product of your life experiences you are not born with it. Non of us are perfect and can make judgements on the facts. Prejudgement, stereotyping is normal. I worked for British Telecom and was a bit wild when younger, but when visiting inner city sites to fix faults it opens your eyes to how the other half lives. You can tell a scumbag at half a mile via attitude demeanor etc.
The sad thing is they think it is normal behavior they know nothing else.A product of parents who have not worked in their life and do not have any morals.
Two generations of no hoper's .Soon to be three .
Margaret Thatcher has a lot to answer for.
cheers
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Two generations of no hoper's .Soon to be three .
Margaret Thatcher has a lot to answer for.
cheers
Can't let that one go - yes she has, and Major and Blair have done their best to squander all the good she had the balls to do...if only Tony hadn't sacked Frank Field it might have continued. Great days the seventies, three day week, power cuts, sugar shortages, binmen on strike, gravediggers on strike.....How can 10,000 miners produce more coal than 100,000 in the seventies? And she (with Reagan) defeated communism, don't you remember growing up with the threat of nuclear war, or taking six weeks to get a phone line connected, the closed shop (union not corner)...
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Can't let that one go - yes she has, and Major and Blair have done their best to squander all the good she had the balls to do...if only Tony hadn't sacked Frank Field it might have continued. Great days the seventies, three day week, power cuts, sugar shortages, binmen on strike, gravediggers on strike.....How can 10,000 miners produce more coal than 100,000 in the seventies? And she (with Reagan) defeated communism, don't you remember growing up with the threat of nuclear war, or taking six weeks to get a phone line connected, the closed shop (union not corner)...
I see you and I will never agree. I left school in the 80's and found it hard to get a decent paying job and have been a union member all my working life.
I see you are a admirer of her no compromise attitude of revolution not evolution.
MT made many controversial decisions some good some bad and we could go on forever-Re the miners, Falklands war etc.
It was only a comment re the social degeneration of society and how the 1980's created a large section of society who have never worked. This has a compounding effect as their children this is all they know, How do you stop the rot, ? Someone was making social and economic decisions and it happened to be MT. There have always been the haves and have nots but we are left with a Don't give a S***.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

benultimate is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: not all it seems, (no bitchy comments pls)

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
RESPECT!!! I think you're very brave to point out that tis not all rosey on the other side of the world. All of us thinking of emigrating should do serious, thorough research and satisfy ourselves that it ticks or at least half ticks, the boxes that matter to each of us as individuals.

I, for one, would not hang, draw and quarter you for your thread, as it seems you've made valid, well thought out points and expressed them in a non-aggressive way.

Still coming tho!!!

Mate just go, dont listen to that nonsense, every country has some poverty just like every country has some extreme wealth,overall nz still ranks in the top 10 percentile of the worlds richest nations on a gdp/capita basis, and religon? no different to anywhere else mate, in what practical way is it shoved down yr throat? umm none, in nz ppl are free to practice the religon all western nations were founded on, as opposed to the religious zeal that is motivating ppl in the uk to carry out terrorist plots-what would you rather have? and you've got to be joking on the weather front, ive been in london for a year and a half and theres no comparison, its not just the temperture here its the consistant overcast weather in the uk, and the cold. apart from a brief heat wave summers here are more like a kiwi spring at best but with lotsa cloud all the time!, in nz winters are mostly bright and sunny with summer being atleast mid twentys-u cant defend this shite here mate. Cornwalls a nice place but you'll love nz especially if your into outside activites- we surf most the year round back home, snowboard 4 mnths of the year and lota ppl kayak/boat/sail in any of the lakes/ harbours close by. funny thing is these negative posts come from ppl so sick of there own country they actually leave there own then complain about the next one? whinging pom's anyone? take care bro
Old Sep 1st 2006, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benultimate
Mate just go, dont listen to that nonsense, every country has some poverty just like every country has some extreme wealth,overall nz still ranks in the top 10 percentile of the worlds richest nations on a gdp/capita basis, and religon? no different to anywhere else mate, in what practical way is it shoved down yr throat? umm none, in nz ppl are free to practice the religon all western nations were founded on, as opposed to the religious zeal that is motivating ppl in the uk to carry out terrorist plots-what would you rather have? and you've got to be joking on the weather front, ive been in london for a year and a half and theres no comparison, its not just the temperture here its the consistant overcast weather in the uk, and the cold. apart from a brief heat wave summers here are more like a kiwi spring at best but with lotsa cloud all the time!, in nz winters are mostly bright and sunny with summer being atleast mid twentys-u cant defend this shite here mate. Cornwalls a nice place but you'll love nz especially if your into outside activites- we surf most the year round back home, snowboard 4 mnths of the year and lota ppl kayak/boat/sail in any of the lakes/ harbours close by. funny thing is these negative posts come from ppl so sick of there own country they actually leave there own then complain about the next one? whinging pom's anyone? take care bro

Is right and beautifully put. You can't please all the people all the time! Stop wingeing and enjoy it-all the time-no exceptions!!!!!!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

benultimate is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: not all it seems, (no bitchy comments pls)

Originally Posted by danny.f
Is right and beautifully put. You can't please all the people all the time! Stop wingeing and enjoy it-all the time-no exceptions!!!!!!

ha, gota hava voice of reason somewhere i guess! i dont think i would move to nz if i believed the constant negativity written on this thread and it would be a shame for ppl to get a false idea of what life is like in nz. i think i can help any potential immigrants with a few things that constantly suprise poms who come here to live

1) in other country's in the world there is crime-sadly all countries you will travel too there is crime, shame isn't it....but nz has a safer 'feel' than here in england, by and large safer i feel.

2)moving to nz will not make you better off financially than staying in england. the economy does not benefit from the same scale of economies and is smaller than the uk's, however nz is a vibrant first-world nation where the majority of ppl do just fine thank you very much, dont be ridiculous most ppl own homes, take 3-4wks holiday a year many ppl travel overseas each year and live pretty comfortably, why are u immigrants hang'n out with nz's poor? do u find them easier to winge to?

3)Unless you are to become proactively engaged in nz's strong lifestyle hightlights then why bother moving? there is so much potential at our back door use the mountains/beaches/lakes/rivers/harbours that are so close or there aint much point is there?

4)Nz will match the same negitives of modern day living in the uk, be it pc/big brother etc but certainly wont be worse and maybe a lot better.

Most kiwis are happy and proud to live in nz, we travel and live overseas alot but always have always will, most return and like myself the overseas experience show's us how unique and forunate we are to come from aotearoa, and what are you always comparing it to? England...?whats your favourite part the rude ppl or the shite weather?
Old Sep 1st 2006, 4:46 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by benultimate
ha, gota hava voice of reason somewhere i guess! i dont think i would move to nz if i believed the constant negativity written on this thread and it would be a shame for ppl to get a false idea of what life is like in nz. i think i can help any potential immigrants with a few things that constantly suprise poms who come here to live

1) in other country's in the world there is crime-sadly all countries you will travel too there is crime, shame isn't it....but nz has a safer 'feel' than here in england, by and large safer i feel.

2)moving to nz will not make you better off financially than staying in england. the economy does not benefit from the same scale of economies and is smaller than the uk's, however nz is a vibrant first-world nation where the majority of ppl do just fine thank you very much, dont be ridiculous most ppl own homes, take 3-4wks holiday a year many ppl travel overseas each year and live pretty comfortably, why are u immigrants hang'n out with nz's poor? do u find them easier to winge to?

3)Unless you are to become proactively engaged in nz's strong lifestyle hightlights then why bother moving? there is so much potential at our back door use the mountains/beaches/lakes/rivers/harbours that are so close or there aint much point is there?

4)Nz will match the same negitives of modern day living in the uk, be it pc/big brother etc but certainly wont be worse and maybe a lot better.

Most kiwis are happy and proud to live in nz, we travel and live overseas alot but always have always will, most return and like myself the overseas experience show's us how unique and forunate we are to come from aotearoa, and what are you always comparing it to? England...?whats your favourite part the rude ppl or the shite weather?
moving to nz will not make you better off financially than staying in england. the economy does not benefit from the same scale of economies and is smaller than the uk's, however nz is a vibrant first-world nation where the majority of ppl do just fine thank you very much, dont be ridiculous most ppl own homes, take 3-4wks holiday a year many ppl travel overseas each year and live pretty comfortably, why are u immigrants hang'n out with nz's poor? do u find them easier to winge to?

\Blimey mate, nearly choked on me tea at the vibrant first-world nation bit/ priceless! still laughing, will laugh all night.
It's backwards as heck here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.