Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

not all it seems, (no bitchy comments pls)

not all it seems, (no bitchy comments pls)

Old Aug 28th 2006, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: not all it seems, (no bitchy comments pls)

Lets lighten the mood all countries have their problems but this one (UK) is a shit hole, the only thing i will recommend when going to NZ is to have your tastebuds removed as the food tastes crap .I have asked Tesco if they deliver in NZ but no luck. Better get used to Aldi or Netto although I have never been to these. Cheers
C
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:01 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Lets lighten the mood all countries have their problems but this one (UK) is a shit hole, the only thing i will recommend when going to NZ is to have your tastebuds removed as the food tastes crap .I have asked Tesco if they deliver in NZ but no luck. Better get used to Aldi or Netto although I have never been to these. Cheers
C
I went on the Polish forum and told them how good it is here in the UK (?!), now 600,000 of them have turned up?!
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

C
Aldi and Netto..it gets better..I love Frikadela's and Bratwurst and other horse meat products!! Also, intend to get in a LOT of chilli's so taste won't matter that much so long as it burns!!!
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:34 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by StevieB
Have read all of the above with interest. I never believed New Zealand to be a paradise and am prepared to face things that have been mentioned, but, with all the posts saying basically 'you get the same problems in NZ as UK'...can anyone tell me if
... a child's passport application has been turned down in NZ because her shoulders were bare in the photo and it might offend someone, or
....has a motion been put forward to the leaders of the New Zealand church to displace the patron saint of New Zealand because 'he may offend other religions' (as has happened with St George at the General Synod in the UK last month...it didn't get passed by the way), or
...Has anyone been banned from displaying traditional Christmas scenes because 'it fails to reflect the multicultural society of the country and may offend those of other religions'...?
I could go on, but I get the impression, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that this doesn't happen in NZ, and it is because of these and other incidents too numerous to mention, along with the ease with which people of the European Union, among others, can now just come into the country without any checks to see if THEY can support themselves, and the very poor leadership and decisions made by our government recently, and the fact that nobody really knows what being English means anymore, and more reasons than I am going to list here, that I have no qualms about leaving the country and starting again in a place where the society, to my admittedly limited view point, is more like the England I grew up in than the England I now live in. It wasn't perfect either, but it was a damn site better than it is now!

I am, of course, prepared for the slating I am probably going to get for this, but I don't care 'cos I'm off to the Kiwi Bar!
Hit the nail on it's bloody huge, very obvious head.....By the way Christmas is referred to as "Holiday celebrations" in many areas now, (admittedly this is decided by the local councils, but hey) so as to remove the reference to Christ. Never mind I'm off to the Middle East with a bunch of mates, we're intent on settling in many countries whereupon we intend to ask the Govt's for funding to build some Christian churches....
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by theguitardoctor
Hit the nail on it's bloody huge, very obvious head.....By the way Christmas is referred to as "Holiday celebrations" in many areas now, (admittedly this is decided by the local councils, but hey) so as to remove the reference to Christ. Never mind I'm off to the Middle East with a bunch of mates, we're intent on settling in many countries whereupon we intend to ask the Govt's for funding to build some Christian churches....
LOL...I have ALWAYS wondered how that would go down! Expect to see you very soon in a video stating you have converted to Islam!
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:53 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

LOL...I have ALWAYS wondered how that would go down! Expect to see you very soon in a video stating you have converted to Islam!
Hey, I already have a beard...just a few more steps....

Seriously though, Islam itself is a peaceful religion (just before anyone persecutes me as a religious-ist ... yup, I invented that word), it's the few extremists that need stopping. I know many from the Islamic faith and they are all good people. However, my point about the churches stands....doubt I'd get away with building one in the Middle East, so why here, and why Govt funded...fine if the followers get together and fund it themselves with only a little Govt assistance, though I doubt even this would wash if I were to try it in the Middle east.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by theguitardoctor
Hey, I already have a beard...just a few more steps....

Seriously though, Islam itself is a peaceful religion (just before anyone persecutes me as a religious-ist ... yup, I invented that word), it's the few extremists that need stopping. I know many from the Islamic faith and they are all good people. However, my point about the churches stands....doubt I'd get away with building one in the Middle East, so why here, and why Govt funded...fine if the followers get together and fund it themselves with only a little Govt assistance, though I doubt even this would wash if I were to try it in the Middle east.
I totally agree with you. Having spent time in Turkey, Iraq and Egypt, your normal man in the street does not consider your religion in the way they treat you, which is for the most part courteously and openly...in fact quite a bit friendlier than the reception they may get in more 'advanced' european countries. Anyway, I think we've probably hijacked this thread for long enough.....Normal service should be resumed soon
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:13 pm
Life's next chapter is?

I totally agree with you. Having spent time in Turkey, Iraq and Egypt, your normal man in the street does not consider your religion in the way they treat you, which is for the most part courteously and openly...in fact quite a bit friendlier than the reception they may get in more 'advanced' european countries. Anyway, I think we've probably hijacked this thread for long enough.....Normal service should be resumed soon
Agreed...retuned to normal service, all the best mate...!!
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:21 pm
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Have read all of the above with interest. I never believed New Zealand to be a paradise and am prepared to face things that have been mentioned, but, with all the posts saying basically 'you get the same problems in NZ as UK'...can anyone tell me if
... a child's passport application has been turned down in NZ because her shoulders were bare in the photo and it might offend someone, or
....has a motion been put forward to the leaders of the New Zealand church to displace the patron saint of New Zealand because 'he may offend other religions' (as has happened with St George at the General Synod in the UK last month...it didn't get passed by the way), or
...Has anyone been banned from displaying traditional Christmas scenes because 'it fails to reflect the multicultural society of the country and may offend those of other religions'...?
I could go on, but I get the impression, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that this doesn't happen in NZ, and it is because of these and other incidents too numerous to mention, along with the ease with which people of the European Union, among others, can now just come into the country without any checks to see if THEY can support themselves, and the very poor leadership and decisions made by our government recently, and the fact that nobody really knows what being English means anymore, and more reasons than I am going to list here, that I have no qualms about leaving the country and starting again in a place where the society, to my admittedly limited view point, is more like the England I grew up in than the England I now live in. It wasn't perfect either, but it was a damn site better than it is now!

I am, of course, prepared for the slating I am probably going to get for this, but I don't care 'cos I'm off to the Kiwi Bar!
We've had this conversation before, have we not
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SirEglamore
We've had this conversation before, have we not
OOOOOH yes!
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

that I have no qualms about leaving the country and starting again in a place where the society, to my admittedly limited view point, is more like the England I grew up in than the England I now live in. It wasn't perfect either, but it was a damn site better than it is now!
Ummmm, NZ is it's own place, and is not like a Little England at all. NZ has its own culture, way of doing things and people who are generally very proud of its unique culture. If you emigrate to a new country and expect that is just like the England of your childhood you will be very disappointed. It isn't. You will be an immigrant into a different culture, and will need to adapt to be able to settle comfortably into life here. Getting off the plane and having expectations on how it will be will set yourself up for a very stressful time.

Currently in NZ there is a debate about banning children saying a prayer as part of school assembly - which of course rules out the national anthem being taught at schools (it starts "god of nations, at your feet, in the bonds of love we meet, hear our voices we entreat, god defend our free land").
I have no idea how the OP got the idea that NZ is a religious nutter zone - I have had the exact opposite experience, NZ seems to be far more secular in every day life.

BTW, back to the OP again, I am not sure that calling the locals "dim" is the best way to find new friends...
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Apple12
Ummmm, NZ is it's own place, and is not like a Little England at all. NZ has its own culture, way of doing things and people who are generally very proud of its unique culture. If you emigrate to a new country and expect that is just like the England of your childhood you will be very disappointed. It isn't. You will be an immigrant into a different culture, and will need to adapt to be able to settle comfortably into life here. Getting off the plane and having expectations on how it will be will set yourself up for a very stressful time.

Currently in NZ there is a debate about banning children saying a prayer as part of school assembly - which of course rules out the national anthem being taught at schools (it starts "god of nations, at your feet, in the bonds of love we meet, hear our voices we entreat, god defend our free land").
I have no idea how the OP got the idea that NZ is a religious nutter zone - I have had the exact opposite experience, NZ seems to be far more secular in every day life.

BTW, back to the OP again, I am not sure that calling the locals "dim" is the best way to find new friends...
Sorry if you got the impression that I thought it would be like a little England. Of course I don't expect that, I said a society like, not the same as. I know it is it's own country, that's all part of the adventure isn't it? I've travelled the world and experienced different cultures, I know that each culture has it's own idiosincracies and believe that everyone has something positive to add from their own background. believe me, I'm not looking for a Little England, and I'm not expecting one.
BTW, ref the stopping of the prayer and national anthem at assembly, do you think it will happen? I don't see a problem with a secular society, so long as it acknowledges the right of people of ALL religions to celebrate that religion without fear or favour in whatever manner they wish, PROVIDED that it does not contravene the law of the land
When I was at school we always prayed at assembly (I never went to a 'Christian' School, just state ones), though we never sang the National Anthem on a regular basis, and I am at best an indifferent Christian.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 12:14 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: not all it seems, (no bitchy comments pls)

C
Aldi and Netto are great, it they were in NZ I would def shop at them
Old Aug 29th 2006, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I went on the Polish forum and told them how good it is here in the UK (?!), now 600,000 of them have turned up?!
Loolah, just read this post....yes I AM slow...so it's your doing then?!
Old Aug 29th 2006, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

agree and nz has appointed an asian govener general, an immigrant just like us. Thats kind of kewl, would never happen in the UK.

Although some green party member said the role should be scrapped cos it represents a white religious family, WTF its the British royal family, dont think they can do equal opportunities employment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.