Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Not all NZ'ers are thick

Not all NZ'ers are thick

Old Jul 28th 2013, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not all NZ'ers are thick

I've done this thread several times now. I'd just like to say, not all NZ'ers are thick. Some of us are very friendly and up for a laugh. Some of us are also very professional and keen for promotion. Many of us are actually intelligent. And lots of us like to have a chat now and then.

Some of us are lazy (I've met many UK'ers that are that way inclined). Some are thick. Some are rude. Exactly the same as your fellow countrymen.

NZ is a small country. If you choose to live in the provinces, prepare to entertain yourselves. Auckland is a 'small big city'. It doesn't have shows on every night, but it does have fabulous restaurants. Cheap? No. It's a small country. Anyone with a brain can understand supply and demand.

NZ is what it is.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not all NZ'ers are thick

Well said
Old Jul 28th 2013, 8:59 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea View Post
Well said
+ 1.....
Old Jul 28th 2013, 10:09 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marblep View Post
I've done this thread several times now. I'd just like to say, not all NZ'ers are thick. Some of us are very friendly and up for a laugh. Some of us are also very professional and keen for promotion. Many of us are actually intelligent. And lots of us like to have a chat now and then.

Some of us are lazy (I've met many UK'ers that are that way inclined). Some are thick. Some are rude. Exactly the same as your fellow countrymen.

NZ is a small country. If you choose to live in the provinces, prepare to entertain yourselves. Auckland is a 'small big city'. It doesn't have shows on every night, but it does have fabulous restaurants. Cheap? No. It's a small country. Anyone with a brain can understand supply and demand.

NZ is what it is.
Sorry, but why do you feel it's necessary to post threads with this title at regular intervals, are you trying to prove something to yourself?. I doubt there is any country in the world where all the inhabitants are thick.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marblep View Post
Some are thick
Well said
Old Jul 28th 2013, 10:38 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Sorry, but why do you feel it's necessary to post threads with this title at regular intervals,
I must admit , I wondered that myself. It's a bit random innit.

I suppose it is some sort of kick-back to some of the threads/posts/discussions that expats are having about NZ . Their findings, experiences, lives, conclusions ,thoughts.

Maybe the OP thinks us expats are thick so need to be told how it is, per his/her post . Or maybe it is because he/she has disagreed with some thoughts on a thread but not discussed that on the actual thread.

In any case. OP - for the record. I am not thick. I'm just a little bit crazy.
I don't need to be told the obvious but I can and will think for myself when it comes to any subject matter pertaining to the country I am living in. My viewpoint may well differ from yours.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

They've got to be a bit done in for one of their number to marry me and father my child

On the other hand I've ended up in NZ, so perhaps not as stupid as thought. Perhaps I'm the stupid one

Joking aside, I've been for several job interviews and am in the latter stages of interviewing for 3 jobs now (not rubbing it in, just stating fact) and if offered 2 or more of those roles I have a big decision to make, because I've genuinely liked all of the interviewers, the people I'll be working with and under, and how they spoken about the roles and their businesses.

They've all been engaging and on the face of it honest, hardly any bullshit. You expect people to big things up a little, don't you?

I've begun to wonder that just because a Kiwi will tend to say is straight, they don't sugar coat stuff with pretty words, that this makes them a bit simple.

This goes for the blokes who are brokering for my home loan, the people at the bank for other money admin, the blokes at the bike shop where I bought my super sexy wheels and the people at the Rugby club I've joined.

I'm beginning to realise simplicity is the way forward in most aspects of life here and it's early days, but I think I prefer it.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:36 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TommyLuck View Post
They've got to be a bit done in for one of their number to marry me and father my child

On the other hand I've ended up in NZ, so perhaps not as stupid as thought. Perhaps I'm the stupid one

Joking aside, I've been for several job interviews and am in the latter stages of interviewing for 3 jobs now (not rubbing it in, just stating fact) and if offered 2 or more of those roles I have a big decision to make, because I've genuinely liked all of the interviewers, the people I'll be working with and under, and how they spoken about the roles and their businesses.

They've all been engaging and on the face of it honest, hardly any bullshit. You expect people to big things up a little, don't you?

I've begun to wonder that just because a Kiwi will tend to say is straight, they don't sugar coat stuff with pretty words, that this makes them a bit simple.

This goes for the blokes who are brokering for my home loan, the people at the bank for other money admin, the blokes at the bike shop where I bought my super sexy wheels and the people at the Rugby club I've joined.

I'm beginning to realise simplicity is the way forward in most aspects of life here and it's early days, but I think I prefer it.
The kiwis that haven't travelled are not worldly that's all. They do not like to have in-depth deep conversations and prefer light hearted conversations and definitely do not like to rock-the-boat and would never complain in a restaurant if the food was bad etc. I think that would partially explain the differences. The worldly ones and the well travelled ones basically don't live here - there is a huge expat community of kiwis everywhere overseas. They say you can go to any remote pub anywhere in the world and there will be a kiwi working behing the bar.There are I think 2 million kiwi expats and that's quite a bit in a country of 4.5 million.

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Jul 30th 2013 at 1:43 am.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say the people I'm talking about aren't worldly.

Most of the employment conversations I've had with Kiwis have been with people with 5-10 years of OE under their belts.

On the bad food front, I simply wouldn't tip and wouldn't repeat my custom at that restaurant.

Who really wants an awkward largely subjective conversation about bad food?

Unless its obviously undercooked, overlooked, stone cold, covered in hair, etc. Which is extremely uncommon, in all fairness.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=shocked kiwi;There are I think 2 million kiwi expats and that's quite a bit in a country of 4.5 million.[/QUOTE]

Not quite. Try 600,000

http://www.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_...-overseas.aspx
Old Jul 30th 2013, 2:46 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey View Post
Hey thanks for that - I stand corrected!

And it does depend where you live as well as to what you will define as a kiwi. The old days of "rugby, racing and beer" are not really relevant like they were - (thank goodness) For example if you live in Auckland you will not find that many kiwis that were born in Nz as there are many new immigrants arriving from asian countries mainly as well as many others which is really good- so you can't really stereotype what a kiwi is or where their ancestors are from. I myself have british grandparents but are always asked in shops in Auckland - "where are you from?" I say "I am from nz" they say - "no but where were you from originally?" it is quite funny.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

it's early days,
Yes it is....& the simplicity together with novelty wears off
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe.

Having dealt with recruitment consultants, three potential employers, real estate agents, home loan advisers/brokers, a builder and a property developer in our first month I haven't seen any worse idiocy than I've seen in the UK. In fact the personal level of service has been largely notable.

Contrary to the expectations that I've had about the "it'll be alright mate" mentality, when I've told people what I want from them and the time scale I expect from them they've delivered.

So initial impressions are positive.

On the downside, they can only get worse.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Maybe.

On the downside, they can only get worse.
Or not...you may have struck lucky...Tommy....
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

True.

I'll take being lucky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.