Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Not all NZ'ers are thick

Not all NZ'ers are thick

Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not all NZ'ers are thick

Gosh, the threads have been interesting.

But a few of you have a terrible view of the average NZ'er.

We are like you UK'ers, we come in all shapes and sizes. Some of us have degrees, some of us don't. Some like rugby, some like football, some like BBQs. Some are vegeterian.

We've even got rocket scientists. And artists and musicians.

Please stop putting your bad experiences on every NZ'er. We are not a backward race.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default Re: Not all NZ'ers are thick

Originally Posted by marblep

We are like you UK'ers, we come in all shapes and sizes. Some of us have degrees, some of us don't. Some like rugby, some like football, some like BBQs. Some are vegeterian.

Please stop putting your bad experiences on every NZ'er. We are not a backward race.
well said , some of my best friends are kiwi,
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:00 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

And I married one
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

You are right of course, change "all" to 'most' and bingo! Only kidding! That would be like describing all poms as whingers!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:10 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, my first reaction on seeing the thread title was "how insulting, who has gone and intimated that! Of course they aren't...."

Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:36 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by AndyEvs
That would be like describing all poms as whingers!
Quite!

When face to face , isn't it a person by person basis . It is for me and him.

When in a rugby crowd though, it's the experience of being within that crowd.

When on the road, it's the overall impression of the drivers around you.

I suppose the overall view you gain will come from the overall experiences you have.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:39 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

As a fellow kiwi I hear ya!

I lived in the UK for 24 years and all that time lived in London. Most of the people I met were through work and they were often well educated, well travelled and in demanding jobs.

When I got married my husband's family were from rural Devon. My God it was like stepping back into the 1950's. I couldn't believe it. Even the ones who were my age seemed old fashioned and outdated. But I never thought of any of them as thick. They went to school, got a job at the local co-op, got married and had kids. So they may not have been worldly and educated but they were nice people who welcomed me into their homes and families. It would have been wrong to judge them against my own life experiences. And who says a smart-arse Londoner knows any better anyway (they probably said behind my back )

I read some of the stories on this board with astonishment. It is not a NZ that I recognise, but hey, I live in South Auckland which has a very diverse population, many of whom have lived overseas. In my line of work I meet factory workers and CEO's of global companies. It's amazing how different we all are.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
And I married one
Me too ... Which makes her a fool, but not stupid
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:19 pm
`

..and bless yer socks. It must be frustrating to read on Brit boards like this one how some overseas people peg NZers as a whole. Feel the same sort of frustrations when hearing certain stock phrases about the UK and the English. About the Irish for that matter - my Mum having been Irish.

To be honest, you'll read the same sort of thing across much of BE. Don't think we'll be entering the 'Age of Aquarious' any time soon.

I'm sending you your first lot of BE karma as that's all I have to send.
You seem fine to me.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it seems to be on most forums tbh. I havent saw many about kiwi's but ive saw loads of stereotypes about australians - they are dumb, no class or culture, sexist etc. All from brits. Can see why it gets annoying. I feel the same about things said about scots, when i was researching about scottish independence i came across a lot of bad stuff!

You'll always get ones in any country who tar everyone with the same brush
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:42 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
Yeah it seems to be on most forums tbh. I havent saw many about kiwi's but ive saw loads of stereotypes about australians - they are dumb, no class or culture, sexist etc. All from brits. Can see why it gets annoying. I feel the same about things said about scots, when i was researching about scottish independence i came across a lot of bad stuff!

You'll always get ones in any country who tar everyone with the same brush
I'm part Scots. I love Scotland. I find the Scots to be most friendly. And they have good cause not to be sometimes. I've only ever been there in Summer.

But when I saw the snow height indicator rods at the bottom of Glen Coe, I figured it can snow a lot in winter. So I couldn't live there. English people retire to Scotland and then complain about getting snowed in.

Research.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
I'm part Scots. I love Scotland. I find the Scots to be most friendly. And they have good cause not to be sometimes. I've only ever been there in Summer.

But when I saw the snow height indicator rods at the bottom of Glen Coe, I figured it can snow a lot in winter. So I couldn't live there. English people retire to Scotland and then complain about getting snowed in.

Research.
It snows a lot up north around inverness, aviemore - places like that. Where i live doesnt usually get much. Last time we had really bad snow was 2010. We seem to escape it most of the time

Glad to hear you found us friendly
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:50 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Oh this thread is going to be a belter when it really gets going ! How long before the mods close it down.....place your bets !

My husband is a kiwi. Unfortunately so is my sister in law. Nuff said.

Scottish people ? Salt of the earth. My best friend at school was Scottish, from Inverness as it goes. I remember good times there. I've also had holidays to Glasgow, Loch Awe, Ayr, Oban, some of the islands, Aberdeen, St Andrews, Stirling, all very nice.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Mar 4th 2013 at 10:56 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:56 pm
`

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
. All from brits.
Probably coz it's
Spoiler:
BritishExpats dot com
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:57 pm
`

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
My husband is a kiwi. Unfortunately so is my sister in law. Nuff said.
My Mum was Irish . My Dad was English. THeir friends were German & Italian That weren't easy for me as a kid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.