Nosey questions - For ICT Professionals

Nosey questions - For ICT Professionals

Old Apr 12th 2006, 11:38 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nosey questions - For ICT Professionals

Where have you found ICT work?
Where are you living?
Bought a house or renting?
And only answer if it doesnt offend (or PM me, is a genuine question) - what kinda salary can we expect for our line of work? (Pitching ourselves at senior consultant/management level in consultancy/support roles {hardware, networks, audits, VPN, CISCO, security}... will do level3 if we're desperate).

(Anyone working in IT in Tauranga? Is demand concentrated in Auckland and Wellington*?)

Reason I ask is that the agency listings very rarely tell you how much the job is paying, or who the company is. So I just need bit of a helping hand to better understand just how desperate NZ are for ICT professionals!

(* Dont feel that I qualify to use abbreviations just yet, AKL, wellie... doesnt feel *proper*)

Thanks for putting up with me, Kate.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 2:42 pm

Default Re: Nosey questions - For ICT Professionals

so there's a lot of nosey people out there, but not ICT professionals?? LMAO

(30 reads, no replies)
Old Apr 12th 2006, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

kathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant future

Hi,

My hubby is an IT Business Analyst and we were concerned that the majority of jobs were in Auckland and Wellington - I didn't particularly want to be in either of those cities. We applied for several jobs through SEEK and Dave was lucky enough to get an interview for a job in Tauranga - there and Hawkes Bay were my top 2 locations to move to. We had made it clear in the application letter that we weren't in a position to travel to NZ for interviews so if they wanted to interview him it would have to be by telephone or video conference - and they did!!!

He got the job and we have now been here 3 months - renting at the moment in Papamoa while our new house is being built - should be ready 7th July.

Can't help on what salary you could expect, I'm afraid - but good luck. There are jobs out there it's just a case of being lucky enough to get one.

Kathryn

Originally Posted by dreamfish
Where have you found ICT work?
Where are you living?
Bought a house or renting?
And only answer if it doesnt offend (or PM me, is a genuine question) - what kinda salary can we expect for our line of work? (Pitching ourselves at senior consultant/management level in consultancy/support roles {hardware, networks, audits, VPN, CISCO, security}... will do level3 if we're desperate).

(Anyone working in IT in Tauranga? Is demand concentrated in Auckland and Wellington*?)

Reason I ask is that the agency listings very rarely tell you how much the job is paying, or who the company is. So I just need bit of a helping hand to better understand just how desperate NZ are for ICT professionals!

(* Dont feel that I qualify to use abbreviations just yet, AKL, wellie... doesnt feel *proper*)

Thanks for putting up with me, Kate.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

ledge is on a distinguished road

In terms of salary guidelines this might be of use: http://www.absoluteit.co.nz/absolute...urvey?OpenForm.
I've found AbsoluteIT quite good to deal with, even though I'm still in the UK.
A number of employers have their own job email service - if you subscribe to Telecom NZ's it seems like there's 2 or 3 a day, and fairly spread around, although the majority are Auckland or Wellington.

If you've got PR, job hunting from the UK isn't proving too difficult...Westpac are currently taking up references (better if the final one hadn't been in the pub when they rang him!!) and hopefully I should see an offer for Wellington in the next couple of weeks!

......then the panic starts
Old Apr 13th 2006, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by ledge
In terms of salary guidelines this might be of use: http://www.absoluteit.co.nz/absolute...urvey?OpenForm.
ooo good good, that one is bookmarked!

Originally Posted by ledge
I've found AbsoluteIT quite good to deal with, even though I'm still in the UK.
A number of employers have their own job email service - if you subscribe to Telecom NZ's it seems like there's 2 or 3 a day, and fairly spread around, although the majority are Auckland or Wellington.

If you've got PR, job hunting from the UK isn't proving too difficult...Westpac are currently taking up references (better if the final one hadn't been in the pub when they rang him!!) and hopefully I should see an offer for Wellington in the next couple of weeks!

......then the panic starts
heheh what a nightmare! well fingers crossed for you. I feel reassured - will go subscribe as you suggest. We're not in any hurry to get a job offer, think we are looking at a move in 12-18 months time. However, if a job offer came up with the offer of a paid relocation and house for a month, we'd be well up for that LOL.

thanks, Kate.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 9:32 am
Just Joined

foolsgold will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Nosey questions - For ICT Professionals

Don't know what jobs outside auckland pay, but in the city i'd pitch yuor salary around $80k. + some form of bonus scheme.

I've been here a year, I do a infrastrucutre consultancy role, had about 10 years ict exp in the uk, last 3 customer facing. When I decided to change jobs after 6 months, I found it really easy to get a new job.

If you've got good exp, look the part and they think you'll play well with the customer (always important eh?) then you'll be beating job offers off with a stick.

South of the Bombay Hills, I dunno. I think they might have some rudamentary form of electricity and perhaps even black and white tv. Don't think they have computers though

Originally Posted by dreamfish
ooo good good, that one is bookmarked!

heheh what a nightmare! well fingers crossed for you. I feel reassured - will go subscribe as you suggest. We're not in any hurry to get a job offer, think we are looking at a move in 12-18 months time. However, if a job offer came up with the offer of a paid relocation and house for a month, we'd be well up for that LOL.

thanks, Kate.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

nickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kathm
Hi,

My hubby is an IT Business Analyst and we were concerned that the majority of jobs were in Auckland and Wellington - I didn't particularly want to be in either of those cities. We applied for several jobs through SEEK and Dave was lucky enough to get an interview for a job in Tauranga - there and Hawkes Bay were my top 2 locations to move to. We had made it clear in the application letter that we weren't in a position to travel to NZ for interviews so if they wanted to interview him it would have to be by telephone or video conference - and they did!!!

He got the job and we have now been here 3 months - renting at the moment in Papamoa while our new house is being built - should be ready 7th July.

Can't help on what salary you could expect, I'm afraid - but good luck. There are jobs out there it's just a case of being lucky enough to get one.

Kathryn

Hi

I was interested to read that you live in Papamoa, I have been looking at rentals online and came across a few in Papamoa. A quick question, how long does it take to get into Tauranga from there? We both have jobs at Tauranga hospital, so we would be travelling for shifts.

what is it like to live there?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Nickand Charlie