Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Norwesters ...

The Norwesters ...

Old Nov 5th 2008, 11:05 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Norwesters ...

are driving me insane :curse:

Anyone else?
Old Nov 6th 2008, 2:16 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Norwesters ...

Not windy anywhere else?
Old Nov 6th 2008, 3:27 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Yep, I agree. they're driving me nuts
Old Nov 6th 2008, 3:38 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Not windy anywhere else?
toughen up you Pommie whingers..........or move up to the "real NZ" where the only annoying wind is from the slightly incontinent retirees down at the beach.....

........only joking........
Old Nov 6th 2008, 3:48 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Thats one thing that really pee's us off is the bloody wind, it drives us nuts and if we had know about it being this bad every equinox we would not have moved here, and its also fishing season and with the bloody wind you cant even lay fly line on the water, at a fish comp last weekend and there were white tops on the water on a river it was sooo windy, try fly fishing in that...not !!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 4:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We watch the wind in the trees from the deck.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:59 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
Thats one thing that really pee's us off is the bloody wind, it drives us nuts and if we had know about it being this bad every equinox we would not have moved here, and its also fishing season and with the bloody wind you cant even lay fly line on the water, at a fish comp last weekend and there were white tops on the water on a river it was sooo windy, try fly fishing in that...not !!

Can you imagine how hot it would be some days though without that wind!!! I forgot to put sunblock on at the weekend when I was cutting the lawns and ended up like a lobster and we only had a high of 18 because of the 'mad' winds!!!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

The wind is a bit like the full moon. It literally sends some people insane for a while.
I don't mind the norwester because it's usually warm. I find it much harder to take the southerlies over the last two days which have brought rain, hail and snow in friggin November and down to 3 degrees yesterday, 12 today. Is this really almost summer?
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:53 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
The wind is a bit like the full moon. It literally sends some people insane for a while.
I don't mind the norwester because it's usually warm. I find it much harder to take the southerlies over the last two days which have brought rain, hail and snow in friggin November and down to 3 degrees yesterday, 12 today. Is this really almost summer?
A bit like the Santa Anas It was the one thing that surprised me when I got here - I knew it was windy in Wellington but didn't realise how windy it could be in Auckland.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:09 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
A bit like the Santa Anas It was the one thing that surprised me when I got here - I knew it was windy in Wellington but didn't realise how windy it could be in Auckland.

It's great for drying the washing though isn't it!!! Mind you I need about 50 pegs on each bit I peg out!!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:15 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
It's great for drying the washing though isn't it!!! Mind you I need about 50 pegs on each bit I peg out!!
Our washing line is really sheltered and I only need pegs on underwear and socks I don't know why but every time I hang the washing out and only have to use a few pegs I feel like I've won a battle
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:00 pm
---

Here in rural Hawkes Bay there's no way you could peg washing out in the norwesters- it blew our huge BBQ off the deck, lifted out neighbours bus shelter up and sent my dog so insane she ate a solar garden light . We're in a new build so don't really have anything to worry about but I lie there at night and can hear it coming- it literally roars down the valley and smashes into the side of our house. I find the Southerlies, although colder and bring shite weather, less concerning- they don't have the sheer force of the norwesters.

Anyway, when it's not doing mental wind it's just quite windy this time of year and I find my skin really suffers- I'm all dried out! The kids are all slightly loopy at the school I work in too
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:22 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

norwesters used to drive me mad, but yes good for drying washing. When one was forecast you could see all the women at school telling each other as they dropped the kids of then racing back home to get as many loads of washing done as they could!!!!

There is a good display in Chritchurch museum which explains why norwesters effect peoples state of mind