Northern Rock...

Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:02 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Northern Rock...

Found this on BBC site earlier for those who may have an account or shares with them still

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7249575.stm
Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of
Default Re: Northern Rock...

Heard this morning that the shares have dropped from £12 to £0.90!

But what does Nationlisation mean?
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:15 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Buy shares if you're in a position to? And if the gov't will let you?

Hmmm... I dunno. Nationalisation can mean the gov't owning between 51% and 100%. I think the definition has changed over the years.

Personally if I had the money and more importantly had a UK residence, I'd buy a thousand shares or so... that is, if the gov't is letting anyone buy shares. I know Sir Richard (Branson) is none too happy.

Gov't still says it's a temporary measure and that long-term ownership still rests with the public, but only time will tell...

Actually, to be honest, after 12 years of seeing your country's government just let companies flounder, and then turn around and say "oh well, tough ****ing shit" to everyone 'cos the gov't "believes" in a free market economy, it's actually refreshing for me to see the gov't step in.

I mean, they could take the US approach and just say "well if you weren't privately insured, then you're ****ed". Which is always lovely...
Old Feb 18th 2008, 2:25 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

the sale of shares has been suspended.

just yesterday I spotted the link to Karma Fun where it was suggested I could Play the stock market using your BE Karma as cash!
invested the lot I did, in Northern bloody Rock.

as far as Karma goes I'm bankrupt
Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ned View Post
the sale of shares has been suspended.

just yesterday I spotted the link to Karma Fun where it was suggested I could Play the stock market using your BE Karma as cash!
invested the lot I did, in Northern bloody Rock.

as far as Karma goes I'm bankrupt
oh aint i glad i sold mine last week. !!!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Actually, to be honest, after 12 years of seeing your country's government just let companies flounder, and then turn around and say "oh well, tough ****ing shit" to everyone 'cos the gov't "believes" in a free market economy, it's actually refreshing for me to see the gov't step in.

I mean, they could take the US approach and just say "well if you weren't privately insured, then you're ****ed". Which is always lovely...
My thoughts exactly......quite worrying how all the Finance Companies in NZ go to the wall and investors don't even seem to have basic deposit protection up to a certain level of say £25kish it used to be in UK. Makes me wonder if funds are as safe in NZ as UK.
Wish someone had nationalised Equitable Life all those years ago...I'm still paying my life policy premium in the hopes I will eventually get some return....that one was supposed to be safe as houses.