British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NORTH vs. SOUTH getting nasty (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/north-vs-south-getting-nasty-436758/)

Campbells Mar 23rd 2007 11:12 am

NORTH vs. SOUTH getting nasty

In the last few weeks I have experienced several attacks from people disagreeing with the content of my posts. I was under the impression that this forum was a place for open minded people to have a civilised debate.

Looking at the response trends it seems that there is a dislike from certain members who have an apparent disregard towards people that are considered Aucklanders. The one member states in an earlier post that they moved the South Island because they were struggling in Auckland.

If I were sitting on the fence ( deciding to move to NZ) in some far off country looking at this forum as a point of reference it would certainly not give NZ a high ranking in the nice people department. I would imagine the main purpose of this site is for non NZ residents to get an idea ( and different views) on NZ and not get caught in the middle of some bloody barrage of insults - that does not send the right message.

I think it is hypocritical to get abusive with people who post points of view that can be considered as negative towards NZ and then have this FU Aucklanders attitude.

I understand that tall-poppy syndrome is alive and well in NZ but really this whole JAFA thing in itself is a negative about New Zealand. We chose to settle in Auckland as it is the business hub of NZ and both my wife & I have started our businesses here. Whilst a lot of folk go to work and do 8 hour shifts we both do what we love doing and get paid for it. Outside business Auckland has enough outdoor life for us.

I think it shows a balanced NZ having input from all areas and not a battle of locations to see who can prove they chose to settle in the best area . Auckland hosts 25% of the NZ population – there’s a reason for that ;)

PS: We love it here in NZ :D

GowHow Mar 23rd 2007 8:37 pm

Re: NORTH vs. SOUTH getting nasty

Originally Posted by Campbells (Post 4551064)
I would imagine the main purpose of this site is for non NZ residents to get an idea ( and different views) on NZ

The main reason for this site is for people to have a right good moan!

As someone in the process of moving to NZ, i would NEVER base my decision on what a bunch of expats whinged about on a forum.

The truth is that if people are happy then then tend to get on with their life and if you are fed up then you find somewhere to moan about it. For every one person who logs on this site (who has moved to NZ) I would guess there are many more people who have emigrated and are living the dream and do not even know this site exists.

I am not stating that everyone on here is a whinger, in fact there are some very happy and positive sorts hang around:D, but human nature dictates that unhappy people complain louder that happy people commend (does that make sense?)

peace to all

GowHow Mar 23rd 2007 8:40 pm

p.s

I am heading for ChCh, so I am not likely to bump into you, you self righteous, soup munching, crappy photo-taking, northern softie!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

lapsed kiwi Mar 23rd 2007 8:57 pm

I have to disagree with your original post; I think there is very little North vs South "nastiness" on this forum. I think the main observation a new reader of this forum would make is "there are some real trolls on this board, why don't they get on with their new life instead of winding people up and moaning the whole time?"
I also disagree with this presumption that there is a "tall poppy" syndrome in NZ - are you sure you haven't experienced "strange poppy" syndrome instead? Look at the pride NZ has in its tall poppies - Ed Hilary, Peter Blake, the All Blacks, Team NZ, Charles Upham and the other ANZAC heroes, and I think this whole theory that NZ has no patriotism is just something you've made up. Could I suggest you attend a dawn ANZAC ceremony next month and then have a wee think about whether there is any patriotic pride in this country?

Campbells Mar 23rd 2007 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by GowHow (Post 4553113)
p.s

I am heading for ChCh, so I am not likely to bump into you, you self righteous, soup munching, crappy photo-taking, northern softie!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

See you at the airport :thumbsup: I 'll be the one doing the forg-march :lol:

ex_exile Mar 23rd 2007 11:23 pm

Well, I had the chance to live in Auckland but chose not to, I find it to be a souless city with no true center or heart. But I'm told that some people quite like it :).

The reason that 25% of NZ'ers live there is because Auckland has its own critical mass that is sucking people (and money) from the rest of NZ; it will soon be 26%, 27% etc. I dont think that this is a good thing for New Zealand but I dont subscribe to the JAFA thing either.

P18PPS Mar 24th 2007 12:02 am

Originally Posted by ex_exile (Post 4553783)
Well, I had the chance to live in Auckland but chose not to, I find it to be a souless city with no true center or heart. But I'm told that some people quite like it :).

The reason that 25% of NZ'ers live there is because Auckland has its own critical mass that is sucking people (and money) from the rest of NZ; it will soon be 26%, 27% etc. I dont think that this is a good thing for New Zealand but I dont subscribe to the JAFA thing either.

I live in Auckland, and totally subscribe to the JAFA thing - and tall poppy syndrome. Compared to the rest of New Zealand Auckland is totally stuck up it's own bum - dare I say it rather a lot like "Landanars" thinking that there part of England is the most important and that Oxford is the midlands and Manchester is in Scotland. I don't know what the stats are but I'm pretty sure it's been said that the majority of JAFAs haven't even been to the south island and think that they're travelling far if they make it to the Coromandel or as far north as Mangawhai Heads! The "centre of Auckland" has no real centre to mark it so. You only have to look at TV ads and "national" news and you could be misled into thinking that there is no life outside Auckland. This said I love Auckland, it works for me and my family, though it is still lovely to travel outside Auckland and go to that foreign country called the south island!!
PS where exactly is Christchurch?? is it south auckland or is that Wellington?

only joking everyone!

lapsed kiwi Mar 24th 2007 12:47 am

Like many, I guess, I'm not here for the city but for work. And incidentally, I think Auckland has a great climate, the most amazing coastline, and easy access to some great countryside. I wouldn't want to live in the city itself, but then I'm not a city person and never have been. I think if you're a city person then maybe NZ is not the place for you.

Leighlou Mar 24th 2007 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Campbells (Post 4551064)
In the last few weeks I have experienced several attacks from people disagreeing with the content of my posts. I was under the impression that this forum was a place for open minded people to have a civilised debate.

Looking at the response trends it seems that there is a dislike from certain members who have an apparent disregard towards people that are considered Aucklanders. The one member states in an earlier post that they moved the South Island because they were struggling in Auckland.

If I were sitting on the fence ( deciding to move to NZ) in some far off country looking at this forum as a point of reference it would certainly not give NZ a high ranking in the nice people department. I would imagine the main purpose of this site is for non NZ residents to get an idea ( and different views) on NZ and not get caught in the middle of some bloody barrage of insults - that does not send the right message.

I think it is hypocritical to get abusive with people who post points of view that can be considered as negative towards NZ and then have this FU Aucklanders attitude.

I understand that tall-poppy syndrome is alive and well in NZ but really this whole JAFA thing in itself is a negative about New Zealand. We chose to settle in Auckland as it is the business hub of NZ and both my wife & I have started our businesses here. Whilst a lot of folk go to work and do 8 hour shifts we both do what we love doing and get paid for it. Outside business Auckland has enough outdoor life for us.

I think it shows a balanced NZ having input from all areas and not a battle of locations to see who can prove they chose to settle in the best area . Auckland hosts 25% of the NZ population – there’s a reason for that ;)

PS: We love it here in NZ :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: LOL.
I am v. new to the site but within the last two days I recon "I've got your number" Campbells! - press their buttons and watch them go! LOL
Anyway, despite the sometimes misunderstood comments that you have made, resulting in a bit of negative banter (which I have also gathered you are more than able (and willing) to deal with) you have got some v. interesting points and are bring up some great debate. And, as a wanna be but not yet ganna be resident (waiting ITA), can't really join in, but just wanted to say thanks as I now (having googled them) know what "tall poppy syndrome" and "JAFA" (haha - love it!) are all about, and love NZ the more for having such language.
Keep up the good work! Leighlou.

Campbells Mar 24th 2007 2:24 am

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 4553908)
I live in Auckland, and totally subscribe to the JAFA thing - and tall poppy syndrome. Compared to the rest of New Zealand Auckland is totally stuck up it's own bum - dare I say it rather a lot like "Landanars" thinking that there part of England is the most important and that Oxford is the midlands and Manchester is in Scotland. I don't know what the stats are but I'm pretty sure it's been said that the majority of JAFAs haven't even been to the south island and think that they're travelling far if they make it to the Coromandel or as far north as Mangawhai Heads! The "centre of Auckland" has no real centre to mark it so. You only have to look at TV ads and "national" news and you could be misled into thinking that there is no life outside Auckland. This said I love Auckland, it works for me and my family, though it is still lovely to travel outside Auckland and go to that foreign country called the south island!!
PS where exactly is Christchurch?? is it south auckland or is that Wellington?

only joking everyone!

I agree with the travelling outside of Auckland thing and personally put it down to time. I remember the first time I ventured to BOP (first two weeks of being here) and looked on the map and thought, should take a couple of hours, 3, 5 hours later one way.

I am quite prepared to admit that it is swings and roundabouts; there is more business here in Auckland but like most cities less R & R time. We have a 4 year old and try to minimise time spent in the car when we get out. We really want to get down south this year and let our wee lad play in the snow. Of course see the beauty that is there. Have been there for a week but was on business (typical JAFA thing!).

Gotta be honest though, the thought of paying nearly $1000 to fly to ChCh with the potential of having crap weather or fly to somewhere in Fiji or Aus for the same cost and get some sunshine is a pretty big decision.

Really want to get down to the South Island as I believe they have what is known as the Kiwi Games in Dunedin, I have heard about some sport called tossing their Caber. I also heard the sheep down there are nicer looking.

Cheers and hey, the weather up here in Auckland is stunning to day.

Have a great weekend :thumbsup:

Campbells Mar 24th 2007 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Leighlou (Post 4554134)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: LOL.
I am v. new to the site but within the last two days I recon "I've got your number" Campbells! - press their buttons and watch them go! LOL
Anyway, despite the sometimes misunderstood comments that you have made, resulting in a bit of negative banter (which I have also gathered you are more than able (and willing) to deal with) you have got some v. interesting points and are bring up some great debate. And, as a wanna be but not yet ganna be resident (waiting ITA), can't really join in, but just wanted to say thanks as I now (having googled them) know what "tall poppy syndrome" and "JAFA" (haha - love it!) are all about, and love NZ the more for having such language.
Keep up the good work! Leighlou.

Ahh no. Just what this forum needs another Scotty on Crack.

Hey, you see the Big Yin’s World Tour of NZ, if you haven’t you gotta. Even he says that Dunedin is more Scottish that Scotland. You can really see the beauty of NZ from the show (2 DVDs).

Heard that someone had walked out his show cause he said something about all the Kiwi’s looking the same, not sure what he referring to but was that someone in this forum that walked out ?

Hey, don’t feel like you have to sit out in the cold there, join right in, most folk that are stating that things don’t happen in Auckland have never been here anyway, so grab thou soapbox and step right up.

If I may offer some lessons on Kiwi terminology just to get your assimilation on track.

We (all good Kiwis) do not say “I’ve got your number” us good Kiwis (with hand on heart) say “onto it hey”. could be followed by several yeah, yeah, yeahs. If you find yourself at some point actually in NZ and actually bursting out laughing at this it’s cause either you have noticed this OR you yersel have said yer first “ yeah, yeah yeah”.

I heard my wife doing it the other day and packed up laughing. Anyway, I had better get to troll the rest of this site; I have a reputation to keep up.

As they say, if you can’t beat them you gotta laugh at them!

Just FYI it is 23.5 deg here in N Auckland today and a perfect day oot & aboot.

Up yer kilt :thumbsup:

Campbells Mar 24th 2007 2:57 am

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi (Post 4554015)
Like many, I guess, I'm not here for the city but for work. And incidentally, I think Auckland has a great climate, the most amazing coastline, and easy access to some great countryside. I wouldn't want to live in the city itself, but then I'm not a city person and never have been. I think if you're a city person then maybe NZ is not the place for you.

Hey mate,

You having an argument with yourself there :p

It’s my fault I know, I bring out the best in people:D

Well today is an example of Auckland’s best climate and mate we can disagree to agree but Orewa is a beautiful retirement village. Was there this morning for the zimmer race, in fact I took part.

Enjoy the weekend :thumbsup:

donnaf Mar 24th 2007 3:59 am

Hi,
to be honest I haven't posted on here much at all over the last few weeks because there has been quite a lot of nastiness in general and I don't think it's got anything to do with North v South.
It's a shame really as I found this forum a brilliant source of support and advice while I was in the UK but that seems to have disintegrated. I'll keep popping in to see if it improves! I have noticed that a lot of the old names don't seem to post as much which is a shame because they were a great source of information to the newbies. I tend to read posts and send PMs now instead of leaving myself open to attack:(

Littletoe Mar 24th 2007 4:04 am

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the points here, but isn't this attitute all over the place? Town folk think country folk are backwards or arrogant, and country folk think town folk are arrogant. There is the North and South divide in England, and having lived in the country and the towns of England, New Zealand and Australia I can say I've seen it a lot. Yes Auckland has more money and more tax is spent here, but it is the financial hub of NZ. There are simply more people paying tax here. Its not rocket science. There is a 'jafa' thing (Just another *****ing Aucklander for the newbies here!), and NZ is renowned for its tall poppy syndrome, but kiwis know that and will talk openly about it. I've spent a lot of time travelling throughout NZ and I have to say rural folk and SI folk are such wonderful nice people and if we could find work there (for our industry) we'd probably locate there. However, here are in Auckland with great services, gorgeous beaches and the great thing is that it can have a city feel or country feel and not be too far apart from each other. If someone wants to moan or attack someone because of where they're from, then they are simply not worth their weight in gold. Especially when it comes to expats, we have our reasons for choosing places (family, friends, work, finances, children, etc) and NO ONE should be judged for their choices.

Sorry if this is waffly, I think I have a point in there somewhere, if not, let's just all drink more beer and soak up the sun! I'm currently enjoying Speight's Old Dark, beautiful, its like dinner in a glass. Mmmmmm....

anarkissed bathmat Mar 24th 2007 4:14 am

Hey Campbells, I for one find your posts interesting, I may not always agree with them, but that's cool, they generate interesting discussion and I'm all for that. They make me think.
Littletoe, good post mate.