North v South ??

Old Jan 20th 2008, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all
Default North v South ??

Lots of Oz v NZ comments.....What about the the difference between the two NZ islands?
I've not settled here in NZ, although my husband and two children have.I would like to return home but know that it is better for my family here.Besides I think having come this far it would be mad to go all the way back without having tried somewhere else over here. Could just be the area we're in. We are in the Waikato area but I'm willing to try elsewhere.
I've been told by people that the South Island is like a different country.
Anyone else made such a change and can share their thoughts??
I know someone is going to ask me 'what am I looking for?' but I don't really know except to make some friends that are on my wavelength. Haven't really met anyone here in nearly 4 years that I can call a friend. Yes, met "friends' but not real ones.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: North v South ??

I think people are generally more friendly on the Mainland ..
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Yotty
I think people are generally more friendly on the Mainland ..
and which island is exactly the mainland by any change?
Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:02 pm
Jen

jenjag will become famous soon enoughjenjag will become famous soon enough

I work in Waikato a little bit, and its a very sleepy place. I would struggle to move there.

I am based in Auckland, Northshore to be exact. I love it, and it gives us everything we need need. We are near to the City, but far enough to not have the City life all the time.

The beaches are great.

Ive only been to Christchurch on holiday. 1st impressions were great, but its not a place I good live. It was too touristy (if thats a word) and was too much like an English town - very much like York.

I work in Wellington a lot as well. I like Wellington. The Cuty has a better feel than Auckland has plenty of nightlife.

So - in answer to your question - I'd go for the north island every time.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

Fair play to you Jen!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

That's what I'm wondering....I thought the Mainland would be the North...bigger population? the capital???
Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

I suppose the SI is bigger .. and it's a way for the Southerners to thumb their noses at the alleged snobby JAFAs..
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

All you could do Kentish Lass would be to suck it and see. Ian & Sharon moved from North to South and still didn't settle. They are now in Oz .

We live near Nelson and have recently met two families that moved from NI to Nelson - SI for much the same type of reasons you have stated and have felt more settled here. We have also met one family that moved from Oz [Adelaide] to Nelson SI and are enjoying this better.

Moving areas may well be the answer.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:58 am
Just Joined

wildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by smiges33
and which island is exactly the mainland by any change?
The S.I. being as its bigger and all that.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Yotty
I suppose the SI is bigger .. and it's a way for the Southerners to thumb their noses at the alleged snobby JAFAs..
ok what is JAFA's? again spot the outsider
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

I came here, having never been to this country at all.Just jumped straight in. O.H. came over to Auckland just for a week to check out a business but then we didn't end up there anyway.Before any other move I am going to do a bit of sussing out first.
So...our next step is to go down South to see for ourselves what it's like.I know I keep asking people what it's like there but what I like and what they like can be very different.I've met people who love Christchurch and others that didn't think much of it.Same for anywhere. I keep asking because I'm so 'don't know what I want' I want someone to tell me what to do!....then I can blame them if it's not right!
Two questions then.......Firstly, we'd like to fly down and then get one of those campervans that I've heard of, where the company want drivers to return the vans to base.So you drive them back after someone else has hired them one way. You just pay for your own passenger ferry fares. Anyone know how to get hold of one???
Secondly, Anyone know of any shoe repair/engraving businesses for sale down South????
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smiges33
ok what is JAFA's? again spot the outsider
Just
Another
F*$#ing
Aucklander
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Just
Another
F*$#ing
Aucklander

see lots of love between nz and JAFA then
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Well instead of sitting about wondering what to do next,we've now booked a flight to Nelson beginning of April. One way at the moment.....not sure whether to fly back from Nelson......drive down to Christchurch and fly back from there or drive to Christchurch and get one of those campervans that need to be delivered back to Auckland.

Oh I feel so reckless. My friends thought I was so brave back in the UK ,when we left to come here..they will think I'm mad now! When I think of some of the folks back home that haven't hardly ventured out of the area they live or the regulars still sitting at the same seat, in the spot in the same pub.Makes me feel like a teenager again!!
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=jenjag;5815980]

Ive only been to Christchurch on holiday. 1st impressions were great, but its not a place I good live. It was too touristy (if thats a word) and was too much like an English town - very much like York.

[QUOTE]

Have you ever been to York??