Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

North and South islands - Climate Advice & wher to live for lifestyle

North and South islands - Climate Advice & wher to live for lifestyle

Old Apr 16th 2019, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North and South islands - Climate Advice & wher to live for lifestyle

Originally Posted by jarv5116
I emigrated to NZ last year Auckland.
Iv travelled round most of the North Island so far.
Enjoyed it past year and NZ has been good to me and my wife.
We both have good jobs and everything sort of fell into place for us out ere.
Can't see me and my wife going back to the UK.

Everyone is defo different thou and I can see why so many people go home. It's completely different from the UK in every aspect.

It depends what sort of person you are or what will make you happy for areas to live.
Me and my.wife went where the work was and its worked out good.
You have to understand when places in NZ are called cites you automatically think big and busy like back home. These places are really small places and you can't just nip into Cardiff to go shopping or coffee or out for dinner on evening.
I'm not moaning as I like small towns and enjoy quiet places. I'm just trying to make you aware these places like New Plymouth, Nelson Blenheim and places like that are really small towns and very isolated. would be like 3 hour drive to nearest city.
If people were willing to drive 3 hours in the UK, they would realise that different can even exist in their own country. There are probably many people who never left Auckland either and if they would move to Dunedin for example, would feel exactly the same. I'm in the West of Ireland myself and it's the same that cities here would be classed as towns elsewhere and those living in Dublin for example have a complete different life to us. We really enjoy driving around and get to see remote beaches, lakes and amazing scenery that most people in Dublin never get to see. For us it's also easy to drive to Dublin, grab a coffee and do a bit of shopping, although 2 1/2 hours drive would be considered too far for others. Some might not have the money either but I think it depends where your priorities are. It's probably easier to test the waters at home first to see if you can cope with remoteness, although in NZ it's a different level.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Rainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud of
Default Re: North and South islands - Climate Advice & wher to live for lifestyle

Originally Posted by BEVS
This will be of interested to Mr Rainbow74

It is good fishing on the South Island.

Fish and Game licenses
Thanks BEVS, he will definitely be aiming for the all year permit 😁
Old Apr 16th 2019, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Rainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jarv5116
I emigrated to NZ last year Auckland.
Iv travelled round most of the North Island so far.
Enjoyed it past year and NZ has been good to me and my wife.
We both have good jobs and everything sort of fell into place for us out ere.
Can't see me and my wife going back to the UK.

Everyone is defo different thou and I can see why so many people go home. It's completely different from the UK in every aspect.

It depends what sort of person you are or what will make you happy for areas to live.
Me and my.wife went where the work was and its worked out good.
You have to understand when places in NZ are called cites you automatically think big and busy like back home. These places are really small places and you can't just nip into Cardiff to go shopping or coffee or out for dinner on evening.
I'm not moaning as I like small towns and enjoy quiet places. I'm just trying to make you aware these places like New Plymouth, Nelson Blenheim and places like that are really small towns and very isolated. would be like 3 hour drive to nearest city.
Funnily enough, Cardiff for me is only 20 minutes away or one stop on the train, but I can't think of anything worse than spending my time there shopping etc. The only time I visit the capital is when I have meetings there.
We are quite remote people I guess, for example, I prefer to dine out on say a Monday when it's quieter and not crowded. I think for us, a small village / town that provides an option to eat out or grab a cake and coffee is suffice.
When I'm in Florida (Sarasota, Venice, Naples etc) , I avoid the busy beaches such as Siesta Key and find a quiet spot on Venice beach where it's quiet and peaceful. So I guess I am a person who likes her own company and whilst I haven't experienced NZ yet, I don't think the remotness is a huge concern for me (I know this can change when I visit).
My ideal is somewhere quiet and peaceful with no close neighbours if I'm being brutally honest.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rainbow74
Funnily enough, Cardiff for me is only 20 minutes away or one stop on the train, but I can't think of anything worse than spending my time there shopping etc. The only time I visit the capital is when I have meetings there.
We are quite remote people I guess, for example, I prefer to dine out on say a Monday when it's quieter and not crowded. I think for us, a small village / town that provides an option to eat out or grab a cake and coffee is suffice.
When I'm in Florida (Sarasota, Venice, Naples etc) , I avoid the busy beaches such as Siesta Key and find a quiet spot on Venice beach where it's quiet and peaceful. So I guess I am a person who likes her own company and whilst I haven't experienced NZ yet, I don't think the remotness is a huge concern for me (I know this can change when I visit).
My ideal is somewhere quiet and peaceful with no close neighbours if I'm being brutally honest.
I suppose as you are so close to Cardiff, you never really get to experience what it's like. I still feel that you could easily find a place without neighbours, so could enjoy the pleasant summers here and would still be able to holiday in Florida (best of both worlds really). But even if you are living in NZ, doesn't mean you will always have peace and empty beaches. Because everything else is so far away, most people holiday at home and then certain locations are crowded during summer. You should spend a few weeks around the far edge of County Cork to get a real test feel about remote living. It's the edge of Europe but not the edge of the world and a bit like a mini version of New Zealand.

Old Apr 16th 2019, 9:18 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Rainbow74
I prefer to dine out on say a Monday when it's quieter and not crowded.I think for us, a small village / town that provides an option to eat out or grab a cake and coffee is suffice.
Okays. What is your definition of a small town or village. Also of eating out.

That sounds rural which will mean you drive everywhere. Do you mean space between houses though?

Wakefield in the Nelson/Tasman area is a lively enough village. It would have that which you have described although I am not sure its eatery is open on a Monday or if it even opens of an evening. Businesses like this tend to open when they know there will be customers. Not on an off chance. Taverns for instance will be open all day and ready for the 6 o'clock Friday throng but be closed or finished by 9pm or earlier any other time. It is the usual old thing. Supply and demand.

Mapua also sounds like the type of place you envisage from what you write. However , like many places now it is turning from a small village into a small township. It has good weather and an enviable location. That means busy in summer - by NZ standards - but quieter during other seasons. Because of the people interest , cafes and eateries do tend to be open most of the week and of an evening.

Old Apr 17th 2019, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

vicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond repute

Rainbow74 - as a former Ponty resident myself (I went to uni there) I can understand why weather is a consideration in your decision (hehe) Hubby is from Aberdare so know the area reasonably well - we were there over New Years (followed by a couple of weeks in Scotland) when we got back to NZ the kids claimed they couldn't remember what that bright thing in the sky was haha. I guess no one goes to Wales or Scotland in January for the weather (although secretly I quite liked it).

As a former local government employee (both UK and both Council's in the Nelson / Tasman area) and a resident of Wakefield - listed in BEVS post above, I'd be happy to provide comment if you want to PM me.

Apologies if my previous post was a bit gloomy - I'm in a slightly gloomy state of mind at present.

NZ is a lovely place in many ways and regardless of anyone elses opinion / experience you wont know whether it's for you until you actually live here and experience it all yourself.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Okays. What is your definition of a small town or village. Also of eating out.

That sounds rural which will mean you drive everywhere. Do you mean space between houses though?

Wakefield in the Nelson/Tasman area is a lively enough village. It would have that which you have described although I am not sure its eatery is open on a Monday or if it even opens of an evening. Businesses like this tend to open when they know there will be customers. Not on an off chance. Taverns for instance will be open all day and ready for the 6 o'clock Friday throng but be closed or finished by 9pm or earlier any other time. It is the usual old thing. Supply and demand.

Mapua also sounds like the type of place you envisage from what you write. However , like many places now it is turning from a small village into a small township. It has good weather and an enviable location. That means busy in summer - by NZ standards - but quieter during other seasons. Because of the people interest , cafes and eateries do tend to be open most of the week and of an evening.
I suppose it's anywhere with a few shops, enough to get by for day to day groceries with the option of eating out or just grabbing a quick coffee (in my case Tea as I detest coffee) 🙂

With regards to houses, yes, just some space between us. We have a very private garden where we live with trees dividing us from a large farm house. I don't want to be so close you can hear what the others are talking about it that makes sense.

I know I set Monday as my example but we do tend to prefer a weeknight rather than of a weekend. I'm probably sounding like a right freak with my wishlist!
Old Apr 18th 2019, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds just like my little town in Otago

Last edited by Justcol; Apr 18th 2019 at 11:05 am.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Lovely 😁
Old Apr 20th 2019, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

That's beautiful Justcol!

The only thing I add to this thread for the original posters is as an Aussie living in Christchurch for the second time, I burn very fast and quick in Nz. I am dark haired and fair skinned and have always had to be careful, but it can scorch here! I moved from the Gold coast earlier this year and it was hotter on chch than the goldie!

I'm usee to heat but the sun I really have to watch.

Michelle )
Old Apr 26th 2019, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Holwell is an unknown quantity at this point

PLEASE don't miss South island out. As for temperature my mate in Owaka (look it up - Further south than Invercargill ) saw 30 degrees this summer!
Old Apr 27th 2019, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holwell
PLEASE don't miss South island out. As for temperature my mate in Owaka (look it up - Further south than Invercargill ) saw 30 degrees this summer!
Its a close call to say Owaka is further south than Invers
Being on the east coast Owaka will get different weather from Invercargil. Most of our south Island weather comes in from the west and fiordland and the southern alps play a huge part in what we get. Take Alexandra for example, its the hottest and driest town in the country and only 2 hours north of invercargil. I'm an hour out of Alex and my weather is nothing like
either Invers, Owaka or Alex. Its even massively different from Milton which is only 30km away.

Old Apr 27th 2019, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Justcol
Its a close call to say Owaka is further south than Invers
Being on the east coast Owaka will get different weather from Invercargil. Most of our south Island weather comes in from the west and fiordland and the southern alps play a huge part in what we get. Take Alexandra for example, its the hottest and driest town in the country and only 2 hours north of invercargil. I'm an hour out of Alex and my weather is nothing like
either Invers, Owaka or Alex. Its even massively different from Milton which is only 30km away.
Agreed on all points but most Brits won't have realised just how different the topography, climate and vegetation can be over short distances in South Island.
Old Apr 28th 2019, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Holwell
Agreed on all points but most Brits won't have realised just how different the topography, climate and vegetation can be over short distances in South Island.
Thats what makes it so special down here.

Will you be farming in this area ??
​​​
Old Apr 28th 2019, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Justcol
Thats what makes it so special down here.

Will you be farming in this area ??
​​​
We'll be farming somewhere in South Island but I'm not sure yet where. We are tired of the crowded nature of the UK and have long thought of farming in Canada or New Zealand instead but Brexit had finally pushed us to move. We are tied here by a clause in our farm purchase 18 years ago until 2022 but we're trying to escape early. We'll be swapping a 100 acre farm 20 miles from London for the best farm between 150 and 1000 acres we can get OIO approval for. Mel really fancies the Marlborough Sounds but I also loved South Otago, Tasman and the Te Anau area.

We'll be grazing livestock of some sort (we are beef breeders here) but we're also interested in Manuka honey and have a mad idea of trying to grow coffee beans as well.

It's the better lifestyle we are really after. I'll also look to convert my uk PPL (H) to a NZ one and fly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.