Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

North and South islands - Climate Advice & wher to live for lifestyle

North and South islands - Climate Advice & wher to live for lifestyle

Old Mar 21st 2019, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: North and South islands - Climate Advice & wher to live for lifestyle

Originally Posted by Rainbow74
​​​​​​
I like the thought of a small safe quiet town (maybe 20 minutes from coast). I don't like busy places, take yesterday for example, the first half decent dry day (8*) in weeks. We took the dogs to Barry Island at 8:30 (before the crowds) but everyone else has the same idea. We both said yesterday, wouldn't it be nice to find some quiet beaches where the dogs can run free with a lot less hussle and bussle!

Cym - how long have you lived in NZ? What are the differences you see compared to SW valleys?
I've only driven over a few times but surely it must be possible to find empty beaches in Wales? Unless you're willing to drive very far or really live in the middle of nowhere, even the beaches in NZ can be crowded (depending what your used to), because most people have to live where the work is.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Rainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud of
Default re: North and South islands - Climate Advice & wher to live for lifestyle

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I've only driven over a few times but surely it must be possible to find empty beaches in Wales? Unless you're willing to drive very far or really live in the middle of nowhere, even the beaches in NZ can be crowded (depending what your used to), because most people have to live where the work is.
Not on a half decent day no. Everyone has the same idea which with our weather you can't really blame them. I also don't intend on driving 2 hours plus to find a beach that's possibly a lot quieter.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Rainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud ofRainbow74 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cym
Rainbow
easy answer first, came here in Sept 05 and been here since. Only been back once to 'ome and it was a big struggle to get back on the plane to come back to NZ....not because I dislike it.....NO.....because I miss my family so much. I had a wander around Ponty when we went back and didn't recongise the place. It's become a dump. (some might say it always has been......but some of us know better)
Anyway compare with the Valleys?
There's none. There easy eh!
Imagine my face if you will when we first came here and went to Mitre10, kiwi B&Q, looking for a new door.
The conversation went something like this.
Me and her looking at two doors, along came some grandad .
"May I help you"?
"Yeah butt, where's the doors"
Grandad looks puzzled and points at the two doors.
"Aye, but where's the 'DOORS' butty"?
"These are doors" says grandad
"I can see that butty, I can see you have TWO doors, so where are you hiding the rest"?
"rest"? He says

So you getting the picture?

Now if you live in the city like AK or Tauaranga then there will be more builders merchants, electrical shops, plumbing shops, so on and hopefully more choice.
You live in the out on their own places like NP, Napier, Gissy then choice is a lot less.
And you'll think to yourself WTF, but eventually you'll get used to it and before long you'll be kiwi and accept it

The other thing to be aware of, is nothing here runs into another, No Porth/Pandy/Pentre/Herbert ribbon. Everywhere except AK is separate. And sometimes the distance in-between is really a long way.

So to give you something of a comparison with towns
Tauaranga = Bristol perhaps Swansea
NP = LLanelli
Gissy/Napier = Carmarthen
Palmy = Ponty (especially with the students)
Wangers = Zooport - but that's just me hating both places....but trust me I'm right (stand by for all Wangers and Zooport lovers to tell you different)

The thing to also be aware of there's nothing like Barry or Porthcawl here (shame Knights arms - miss that place) but there's heaps of beaches. For me the east coast is way way better for beaches - Anywhere from Napier to Castlepoint

The other thing to know is, in my opinion, kiwi's aren't dog lovers like what we are.
We used to walk our dogs everywhere in Wales. Here they can't go in any national park and most popular beaches are not permitted during peak periods. much like camps sites that say they are pet friendly - yeah in the low season when they want anyone's money.
But bring your fur babies - they'll be your link to 'ome and you'll need it

Keep asking the questions

(is sweaty betty's still open?)
Your comparisons are really funny! 😊

​​​​​​From memory isnt sweaty Betty's in Ponty? Not sure if it's still there - I know princes' is ( they still do the most amazing rolls and cakes).

When we come over we are going to explore both North and South as I think the South will suit us better.

If we do make the move, we won't be basing it around 'you have to go where the work is approach ' as some on here have suggested. We have lots of years ahead of us to decide and qualifications that exceed the 160 pending job offers. We see this as an opportunity to at least apply for jobs in the areas we eventually shortlist.

Really looking forward to visiting in November now 😊
Old Mar 21st 2019, 9:36 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If we do make the move, we won't be basing it around 'you have to go where the work is approach ' as some on here have suggested. We have lots of years ahead of us to decide and qualifications that exceed the 160 pending job offers. We see this as an opportunity to at least apply for jobs in the areas we eventually shortlist.
Hhmm. That rather depends on what your occupations are & I am not being nosey on this.

Old Mar 22nd 2019, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

Hawkes Bay is very hot in Summer! It was 24 degrees here today and that is not considered warm. In January it got up to 36 degrees.

Like Bevs said, unless you have guaranteed work in an area then you may struggle.
My husband had a job offer to move to Hawkes Bay with, I am a primary teacher (was on the shortage list at the time) but I struggled to get a job.

Good luck!
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zoexr
Hawkes Bay is very hot in Summer! It was 24 degrees here today and that is not considered warm. In January it got up to 36 degrees.

Like Bevs said, unless you have guaranteed work in an area then you may struggle.
My husband had a job offer to move to Hawkes Bay with, I am a primary teacher (was on the shortage list at the time) but I struggled to get a job.

Good luck!
Thank you!

Gosh I didnt realise the temperature exceeds 30. I've been doing a lot more research in the South Island, milder temps etc. For me I guess dry weather is more important than a high temperatures (I tend to holiday in the winter months and stay at home in the summer because I am not a fan of extreme heat).

What I have found confusing is the national average for sunshine in Nelson is 4hrs in Dec & Jan, is this correct or am I missing something?

Your contributions are very helpful - thank you all.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Not on a half decent day no. Everyone has the same idea which with our weather you can't really blame them. I also don't intend on driving 2 hours plus to find a beach that's possibly a lot quieter.
I think that's the same everywhere to be honest. As soon as you have a beach with facilities there will always be people and unless you're willing to drive, even in NZ there will be people on a beach depending on location (population). I suppose as you're stuck between Swansea & Cardiff there aren't that many choices but be prepared to drive, as distances are a lot further. We're in Ireland, so are used to driving and probably drive 2 hours every 2nd weekend. This Saturday it's not beach but shopping in the UK (Belfast). Just thought that when we drove through Wales there were many empty beaches.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 9:43 pm
`

Thank you!

What I have found confusing is the national average for sunshine in Nelson is 4hrs in Dec & Jan, is this correct or am I missing something?

You're missing something . It is more like 6/8 hrs a day. I wouldn't concentrate on sunshine too much. It's merciless & if you are sensible you will not be out in it too much during the summer. Our area also hit the 30's and most folks kept inside with the air con on. It is just becoming more comfortable now we are into Autumn.

New Zealand is a series of micro climates. Not all are temperate. Some is sub-tropical. There will be rains. It isn't called the land of the long white cloud for nothing.

If you cannot take heat then South is likely better. If in your head NZ weather is like Med weather then perhaps have a rethink. I am not saying you do think that but many seem to have that idea for some reason.

I will go back to this
We have lots of years ahead of us to decide and qualifications that exceed the 160 pending job offers.
Not sure what you mean here. Are you intending to emigrate soon ? From that it sounds like this is more a general feeler.

At the moment you may well count up 160 points with a job offer , however NZ immigration policies change twice a year. They may put up the points auto selection criteria. They may alter the shortages lists.
Do not underestimate the difficulty of obtaining a full time long term job offer even if in New Zealand. That will depend on the skilled occupation and where the shortages are.

As you have dogs you should investigate where any dog friendly beaches are. Bear in mind the sun and the heat with them also.

Old Mar 22nd 2019, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Bevs, that's really informative. My husband is a electrical engineer in waste water and will be looking for a similar job if we decide to try for a visa. Our visit in November is to see if it's an improvement on what we have at the moment (mainly better weather). We don't plan on moving right away as we want to clear the mortgage beforehand so we have at least £250k for property when we move.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 10:18 pm
`

Thank you Bevs, that's really informative. My husband is a electrical engineer in waste water and will be looking for a similar job if we decide to try for a visa. Our visit in November is to see if it's an improvement on what we have at the moment (mainly better weather). We don't plan on moving right away as we want to clear the mortgage beforehand so we have at least £250k for property when we move.
Hhm. I actually think you would be happy with the change in weather in most places around New Zealand. You could explore the idea as far south as Dunedin. Good city & its weather is not that of Wales. There would be snow on the ground in winter perhaps but there would be equally long warm sunny days throughout the year . They do not get the rains that some areas get. Christchurch is another area . I think from what you write you might find the Nelson weather too hot at times but one does adapt. I don't like the glaring sun hot weather here but there are many months when this is not the case. It is about adapting and not seeing 'summer' as the best time of year .

On a practical note I cannot see Waste Water Engineers on any occupational shortage lists . However a job offer from an accredited employer would do the trick quite well.
Looking at rates of pay, I would suggest you factor that in to areas of interest. Costs of living can vary quite a bit here in New Zealand as can property prices.

To me the South Island is far more rural than the North Island. I'm thinking waste water and effluent here. It has less people overall. I'm thinking beaches. Dog friendly beaches are about but best to check if and where they are. It being less people means more protected wildlife on said beaches = not good for dogs off leads.

Clearing a mortgage is a great idea. I would always go for the no debt option if at all possible.

My gut thought for you guys would be look South. Canterbury.

Stantec Ltd for instance is an NZIS accredited employer in that region.

Old Mar 22nd 2019, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

I will certainly look into this - thank you. I may have worded his title incorrect, he is a qualified electrician with high voltage in this role too so may have to apply as an electrician.

I think South is a must for us with regards to less heat etc.

​​​​​​With regards the finances we are overpaying the mortgage in huge chunks every month so we can be mortgage free wherever we end up. 😊
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rainbow,

The climate out here in aucland is very hot compared to the UK. Don't be fouled with the average temp on Google.
Its been at 30 degrees out here almost everyday since before xmas. It feels alot alot more hotter aswell it's just cooling down the past week its still hot. Also i have never worn Sun cream in my life hardly and never burned till I come here. I have to put sun cream on every morning factor 50 and still get burnt ears and nose most days. The weather is alot more predictable thou you dont have crazy temp changes like back home. I'm from Scotland and its alot nicer weather and more predictable here.

The places that you are going go visit are really small places. which means there be alot less work in these areas.
Places like New Plymouth and whangeri are like small towns back home and you can't just drive to next town or city as its like a 2 or 3 hour drive.
They are lovely areas and would be great place to live the problem would be securing local work in these areas.
If you go on Indeed NZ and have a look how many Electrian jobs have been advertised in these areas the will be few and far between.
Also the south Island was hotter when we had heat wave last month. think it was 35 degrees.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 12:44 am
cym
Forum Regular

cym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Guys,
I've sent you a private message - rather than clog up the board with the ramblings of a deranged ex valley, trog. lol
Sweaty Bettys, off of Taff Street, the place to go after a great night out at club y bont.
Daren't go there sober! God forbid
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv5116
Hi Rainbow,

The climate out here in aucland is very hot compared to the UK. Don't be fouled with the average temp on Google.
Its been at 30 degrees out here almost everyday since before xmas. It feels alot alot more hotter aswell it's just cooling down the past week its still hot. Also i have never worn Sun cream in my life hardly and never burned till I come here. I have to put sun cream on every morning factor 50 and still get burnt ears and nose most days. The weather is alot more predictable thou you dont have crazy temp changes like back home. I'm from Scotland and its alot nicer weather and more predictable here.
I assume this was your first Summer in Auckland? This year has been exceptional. In my experience over the past fifteen summers, I have never know it to been this consistently hot and sunny for so long. I heard that this has been the third warmest summer ever in NZ and is not really representative of what usually passes for summer here.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

Forget the weather outside and look at the accomodation. In the hot weather you can find shade, get air con or a fan. However, in the winter you may find yourself in a damp, uncomfortable freezing house that seemed ok in the summer. There's no such thing as bad weather just bad clothing and in NZ that extends to bad accomodation. Drafty uninsulated sheds are not easy to keep cosy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.