North or South

Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

steelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud of
Smile North or South

Hi all. We have just returned from a recce trip to both North and South Islands to find a location that we would like to settle in. I had several interviews whist in NZ, most of which have turned into job offers. We are down to deciding between two areas, Rotorua/Taupo and Timaru. We visited both places and liked both for different reasons. Short of pulling one out of a hat to decide our future, has anyone out there any views about living in either place. We have two children 11 and 13 so schooling is high on the list. We visited some schools in Timaru but were not able to visit any in the Rotorua/Taupo area. If you live in either place it would be great to hear 'What's Hot' and 'What's Not'?

I would be good to get your views and advice on the whole 'immigration thing' as we are at the start and would like to get know some of you who have got the T-Shirt.

Cheers
Old Sep 18th 2008, 6:38 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North or South

It might be worth PMing or emailing Kato (Kato33?) if she's still around. She moved to Rotorua recently and has children. I think you have to have a few more post before you can PM, I'm not sure though.
Sorry, I don't personally know much about either area, but hope wherever you end up turns out to be great for you.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

steelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud of

Thanks for the reply TeaEmbo. I'm a bit new to all this forum stuff but it seems a bit strange you can't get a PM until you've put 3 post onto this site. Anyhow, is there a way I can get in touch with Kato?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

I would say South. We like it down here much better. Timaru has some pretty good schools and is a well off town.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

Have PMd you as guessing you are the Richard that My OH used to work with before he left the UK. EDF ring any bells lol.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:33 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steelblue
Hi all. We have just returned from a recce trip to both North and South Islands to find a location that we would like to settle in. I had several interviews whist in NZ, most of which have turned into job offers. We are down to deciding between two areas, Rotorua/Taupo and Timaru. We visited both places and liked both for different reasons. Short of pulling one out of a hat to decide our future, has anyone out there any views about living in either place. We have two children 11 and 13 so schooling is high on the list. We visited some schools in Timaru but were not able to visit any in the Rotorua/Taupo area. If you live in either place it would be great to hear 'What's Hot' and 'What's Not'?

I would be good to get your views and advice on the whole 'immigration thing' as we are at the start and would like to get know some of you who have got the T-Shirt.

Cheers Richard
Not been to the south. but I would much rather stay in the north close to Wellington and Auckland...and if your into bands playing live and shows most tend to go to Auckland...the south Island too far away...well my opinion anyway
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Depends what you like doing. Both Taupo and Timaru have beautiful mountains and ski fields quite close. Both can get really cold in winter. Both are fairly small towns but Taupo has the lake and the advantage of being central to most of the large centres. House prices are probably lower in Timaru. Schools in Timaru are of a good standard generally. It is a bit quiet though and the nearest large towns are at least 2 hours drive. I've only visited Rotorua, but if you can get over the sulphur smell it's a lovely place with a great climate and plenty to do.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by love30stm
Not been to the south. but I would much rather stay in the north close to Wellington and Auckland...and if your into bands playing live and shows most tend to go to Auckland...the south Island too far away...well my opinion anyway
Yeah SI 's not worth a light ..
Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yotty
Yeah SI 's not worth a light ..
Oooh you North Islanders - there is life past Wellington you know !!!LOL !!

Well in my humble opinion and sticking up for the South Island Timaru is quite a nice place, my sister has lived there for 40 years and wouldn't move anywhere else! It has the lovely caroline bay, ski fields close by and a 5 hour drive to the Adventure Capital of the World Queenstown. Then you have Wanaka, all the southern Lakes for great fishing and boating, We do get bands down south contrary to popular belief and we get theatre as well!! In fact Timaru had Mamma Mia showing in July and we have only just got it here in Rangiora!! Not as backward as the north islanders would have you think. Not as wet as the north either but probably colder in winter. Just down the road going South is Oamaru and further on again Dunedin and right down the bottom is the Caitlins and Invercargil areas, not to mention Milford Sounds and all without having to take a plane. 1 hour drive away is Lake Tekapo and they have hot pools and ice rink there now.

I loved the North Island when I visited and I am not of the opinion that one Island is better than the other, It all comes down to whether you want the North Island and all it's problems or the more sedate south with their different problems and only you can choose. Wouldn't be right to say one or the other. Freedom of Choice. Wherever you decide I am sure will be right for your personal circumstances anyway.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by shirl
Oooh you North Islanders - there is life past Wellington you know !!!LOL !!

Well in my humble opinion and sticking up for the South Island Timaru is quite a nice place, my sister has lived there for 40 years and wouldn't move anywhere else! It has the lovely caroline bay, ski fields close by and a 5 hour drive to the Adventure Capital of the World Queenstown. Then you have Wanaka, all the southern Lakes for great fishing and boating, We do get bands down south contrary to popular belief and we get theatre as well!! In fact Timaru had Mamma Mia showing in July and we have only just got it here in Rangiora!! Not as backward as the north islanders would have you think. Not as wet as the north either but probably colder in winter. Just down the road going South is Oamaru and further on again Dunedin and right down the bottom is the Caitlins and Invercargil areas, not to mention Milford Sounds and all without having to take a plane. 1 hour drive away is Lake Tekapo and they have hot pools and ice rink there now.

I loved the North Island when I visited and I am not of the opinion that one Island is better than the other, It all comes down to whether you want the North Island and all it's problems or the more sedate south with their different problems and only you can choose. Wouldn't be right to say one or the other. Freedom of Choice. Wherever you decide I am sure will be right for your personal circumstances anyway.

yes and i was saying that I prefer the North because close to Auckland and Wellington and warmer in winter.

well we have the Big day out in Auckland,,, been to see Korn, Panic at the Disco....they have not been to the south island, nor Chirs Brown and Rhianna or Kylie, even though I could not get tickets for my girls... ( Rihanna I mean not heavens above Kylie) oh and Disturbed have been here also Wellington and Auckland...also shows like the phantom of the opera in Auckland not the south Island again!!!

dont know why some bands wont go to the south Island, I think Muse and bon Jovi have been to christchurch though, you never know in the future, but for me there are lots more in the North.

but The South island is supposed to be more beautiful I am told yet to visit yet and I will be just going for a holiday
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:34 am

oh yes and lovley places on the north like Napier, Mount Ruapehu (NZ largest ski resort), Rotorua with its hot springs and sulphur pools, Auckalnd with the sky tower and sights, Wellington the capital, lake Taupo, Hakka falls I could go on...
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:10 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing the OP is looking at those areas because they prefer a smaller city/town to live in, so accessibility to Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch may or may not be what they are after.

Timaru probably has the better access to a large city (less than 2 hours to Christchurch), but then again if you want to be closer to Auckland (with all its pros and cons) then Taupo might be better.

I like to visit Rotorua, but personally would struggle to live there.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Having lived in quite a few places in both the South and North Islands, I'd say definitely the North and as near to Auckland as possible.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: North or South

Originally Posted by steelblue

Cheers Richard
We live in Timaru and love it here. Plenty of Primary schools to choose from, and only a couple of them are zoned (you have to live near the school to go there). There are 4 High schools: Roncalli (Catholic), Boys High, Girls High and Mountainview - our children aren't that age yet, but I've heard good things about all 4 of them.
What's hot in Timaru? Plenty of things to keep the children busy, all the usual shops, lovely parks, the beach (just don't look at the container port right beside it!!), and friendly people.
What's not? ......... can't think of anything, except perhaps if you just adore shopping - the nearest big shopping malls are in Christchurch and Dunedin.
If you want to know more, just PM us!
Good luck with your decision!
Debbie.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 10:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

North

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.