Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

North Shore Suburbs Opinions?

North Shore Suburbs Opinions?

Old Oct 6th 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold
Default North Shore Suburbs Opinions?

Howdy All,

Currently living in a rental in Takapuna and looking to buy a property when our rental is up in March next year. We totally love Takapuna but know its a little out our price range ($450k-low $500k) for a 2-3bed house so are starting to look around. Problem is, with not knowing any locals its hard to know what an areas like apart from first impressions.

So, any opinions on areas on the North Shore? Couple in the 30's, looking to start a family soon too. We like the look of places like Taka, Milford, etc but again looks expensive. What about places like Sunnynook/Mirangi Bay etc?

I work in the city (taking the bus) and the wife works in Takapuna.

Thanks,

Andy
Old Oct 7th 2010, 4:26 am

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: North Shore Suburbs Opinions?

Changed your mind from Gulf Harbour then?!

We love it where we are, gorgeous place. If you want to pop over for a beer on the deck to suss what its like here you'd be most welcome
Old Oct 7th 2010, 5:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah! I spent ages typing my thoughts on Gulf Harbour & you suddenly change your tune:curse:

Ungrateful I call it

Good luck wherever you choose.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

we love Torbay, the beach is fantastic, I am really impressed with the school, OH catches the bus and is not a public transport man but loves it 35 mins from Albany park and ride I drive as I work in Grafton but its not bad, you feel you have escaped when you come home. I also like Browns bay you do not need any other local shops again the beach is lovely , playgrounds etc
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
Changed your mind from Gulf Harbour then?!
We love it where we are, gorgeous place. If you want to pop over for a beer on the deck to suss what its like here you'd be most welcome
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Yeah! I spent ages typing my thoughts on Gulf Harbour & you suddenly change your tune:curse:
Ungrateful I call it
Good luck wherever you choose.
LOL, sorry guys, I really appreciate you comments on Hibiscus and GH, I really do

This was the area we both liked the look of the most and we have spent the last couple of weekends up there, driving around looking at areas etc. We are not saying no to the area at the minute, but have decided we also need to look elsewhere too, hence the feelers for the North Shore.

I'm still going to be working in the city for the time being, and the wife is happy in her job in Takapuna, so the big thing would be the commute. Doesn't seem that far on paper, but driving it the last few weekends made us realise it might be a bit of a downer. We did like the area around Manly/Stanmore Bay but have crossed Gulf of our list for now. Drove round the parts we thought we could afford and didn't like how cramped in everything felt compared to the other areas, and the style of houses seemed a bit un-nz to us. Nice area, just not what we are looking now we've seen it.

Originally Posted by janeyk
we love Torbay, the beach is fantastic, I am really impressed with the school, OH catches the bus and is not a public transport man but loves it 35 mins from Albany park and ride I drive as I work in Grafton but its not bad, you feel you have escaped when you come home. I also like Browns bay you do not need any other local shops again the beach is lovely , playgrounds etc
Thanks, have been up to Torbay/Browns Bay actually and quite liked it.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 12:20 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. We live in Bayview/Glenfield. I take the bus to the city and love it and there's also a route to Takapuna. For your budget you'd get a good house on a full section - next door to us sold recently for $400k (3 beds, new kitchen and a full section with enough garden for veggies and a bit of lawn and the rest in bush so loads of birds all the time). It's 10/15 minutes to Browns Bay and all the other Bays and easy to get to everywhere really.

Do have a look - you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Batty
Hi. We live in Bayview/Glenfield. I take the bus to the city and love it and there's also a route to Takapuna. For your budget you'd get a good house on a full section - next door to us sold recently for $400k (3 beds, new kitchen and a full section with enough garden for veggies and a bit of lawn and the rest in bush so loads of birds all the time). It's 10/15 minutes to Browns Bay and all the other Bays and easy to get to everywhere really.

Do have a look - you might be pleasantly surprised.
Thanks, will take a look as not looked at Bayview yet. Out of interest how long does it take to get to the city on the bus for you?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:21 am
Account Closed

fayemd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AndyR
Howdy All,

Currently living in a rental in Takapuna and looking to buy a property when our rental is up in March next year. We totally love Takapuna but know its a little out our price range ($450k-low $500k) for a 2-3bed house so are starting to look around. Problem is, with not knowing any locals its hard to know what an areas like apart from first impressions.

So, any opinions on areas on the North Shore? Couple in the 30's, looking to start a family soon too. We like the look of places like Taka, Milford, etc but again looks expensive. What about places like Sunnynook/Mirangi Bay etc?

I work in the city (taking the bus) and the wife works in Takapuna.

Thanks,

Andy
Hi Andy
We live in Takapuna and are hoping to sell our house next March/April time as we are heading back to the UK.Its a nice house built in the 1950's ( so solid),3 double bedrooms,office,2 bathrooms polished wooden floors, also a big back garden great for kids as all fenced off.We are looking at the mid to high 5's,let me know if you are interested.Kind Regards Faye
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:30 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR
Thanks, will take a look as not looked at Bayview yet. Out of interest how long does it take to get to the city on the bus for you?
If I catch the 7am bus I'm at my desk with my first cup of coffee (2nd stop on Fanshawe St) by 7.30. If I take the later one at 7.15 I'm here by 7.50. I don't know about the later ones because I like to start early and finish early.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Unfortunately, the suburbs around Takapuna tend to be expensive. Milford is nice but very pricy for a house. Those suburts on the right-hand side of the highway tend to be pricier than those more inland. The further north you go the cheaper it gets. North Shore is great to rent but difficult to buy into. You could wait and hope the housing market collapses in the future which is not impossible. Devonport is very trendy with quaint weatherboard, freezing houses but very expensive, and can be rather dead at night. Units are less expensive and there are plenty around the Shore.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't overlook Forrest Hill
Old Oct 13th 2010, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

Devonport is awesome and great links into the city on the ferry.

Loved living there.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. Will be taking a drive round some areas this weekend I think. Like the look of Forrest Hill as it seems a but more affordable for us, and as we haven't been to Birkenhead/Bayview/Hillcrest we will take a drive there too.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Great bus links from Forrest Hill also and close to SH1, only 5mins by car to a beach as well.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Another Forrest Hill fan here Close to shops and beaches, great schools and close to Northern Express bus route to CBD. Good luck wherever you pick Bevissa