Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

North Shore suburbs

North Shore suburbs

Old May 11th 2007, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default North Shore suburbs

Can anyone recommend suburbs where a family of 5 would settle ??

We're (hopefully) initially going to Albany but this may only be for 4 months. After this we would need a long-term rental but need to know which areas are best etc.

We're looking for a 4 bed home ideally near a park/beach/good school etc. we have 3 kids 10, 2 & 1 so would like to know about Parents & Tots groups too!

Any info gratefully received xx Thanks

Michelle x
Old May 11th 2007, 9:29 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Shore suburbs

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Can anyone recommend suburbs where a family of 5 would settle ??

We're (hopefully) initially going to Albany but this may only be for 4 months. After this we would need a long-term rental but need to know which areas are best etc.

We're looking for a 4 bed home ideally near a park/beach/good school etc. we have 3 kids 10, 2 & 1 so would like to know about Parents & Tots groups too!

Any info gratefully received xx Thanks

Michelle x
Well that's most of the North Shore or the East Coast Bays then depending on how close you want to be to the beach. Oh and how much money you have to spend.

The 'best' areas in my opinion are those lower down and closest to Auckland -Devonport, Milford, Castor Bay, or those right at the top because they're less crowded and cheaper, such as Torbay.

In general it's all nice, if not very overcrowded closer to the beach as sections get smaller and smaller and prices get higher! Schools have a very good reputation. There are loads of great parks.

Hubbie is from the North Shore. Personally, I don't like Albany because it's very new. And a bit further out. But it's also popular and has some good shops.

I recommend driving round when you're there tbh.

Sorry, I was going to list a few places, but it's so personal to me and the experiences I've had there and you have already narrowed it down a LOT. It's not a huge area.

Also, house prices vary. For the areas we like and would consider, a reasonable 4 bed house starts at about $700k, but I've also seen some at the 400k mark in different areas. So in fact, budget may also be a deciding factor, being realistic.

Sorry, after all that rambling, I really don't think I've helped much at all.
Old May 12th 2007, 10:39 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Shore suburbs

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Well that's most of the North Shore or the East Coast Bays then depending on how close you want to be to the beach. Oh and how much money you have to spend.

The 'best' areas in my opinion are those lower down and closest to Auckland -Devonport, Milford, Castor Bay, or those right at the top because they're less crowded and cheaper, such as Torbay.

In general it's all nice, if not very overcrowded closer to the beach as sections get smaller and smaller and prices get higher! Schools have a very good reputation. There are loads of great parks.

Hubbie is from the North Shore. Personally, I don't like Albany because it's very new. And a bit further out. But it's also popular and has some good shops.

I recommend driving round when you're there tbh.

Sorry, I was going to list a few places, but it's so personal to me and the experiences I've had there and you have already narrowed it down a LOT. It's not a huge area.

Also, house prices vary. For the areas we like and would consider, a reasonable 4 bed house starts at about $700k, but I've also seen some at the 400k mark in different areas. So in fact, budget may also be a deciding factor, being realistic.

Sorry, after all that rambling, I really don't think I've helped much at all.
Good post and accurate. I grew up on the NS, mainly between Devonport and Takapuna but have lived in Milford and the ECB as well. I do recall Northcote and Birkenhead as being a tad dodgy in some parts, due to some large housing corp (council estate type properties), but that was a while back and may well be different now.

If I moved back to Auckland I'd have no hesitation at living virtually anywhere on the NS or ECB.