Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The north island v the south island debate

The north island v the south island debate

Old May 27th 2005, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future
Default The north island v the south island debate

This is bound to start a few heated disagreements but I wondered what you northerners and southerners thought about this. Which island do you think is the best live in, the south or the north island and why?

tottefan.
Old May 27th 2005, 8:06 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The north island v the south island debate

People seemed a bit friendlier in S Island, Christchurch is a bit like a UK market town in feel though not in looks and welcoming to Brits. There are more Maori problems/ issues in N Island but maybe more racism in S Island.
Old May 28th 2005, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Don
People seemed a bit friendlier in S Island, Christchurch is a bit like a UK market town in feel though not in looks and welcoming to Brits. There are more Maori problems/ issues in N Island but maybe more racism in S Island.
So you're saying that nzers in christchurch don't like us brits?

tottefan
Old May 28th 2005, 4:14 am
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by tottefan

tottefan
Excuse my sentence construction, actually Christchurch and Dunedin are maybe the two cities MOST welcoming to Brits.
Old May 28th 2005, 6:17 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

I have just returned from a lovely holiday taking in both island and I don't know about LIVING in them but we found all the peoples very friendly. I feel however the cost of living is perhaps a little less in the South Island and the North Island seems to have far more traffic and fabric of the road problems.
Old May 28th 2005, 1:01 pm
pompeymike

tottefan
Christchurch is a wonderful place and the kiwi's here love the Brits - unless they're whingers. I've always felt at home here and the Kiwi's don't have a problem with us but - they constantly moan about Asians.

Mike

Old May 28th 2005, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

the North Island seems to have far more traffic and fabric of the road problems
Is it that the traffic is just bad compared to the south island or that the traffic really is bad (i.e. similar to uk)?

tottefan.
Old May 28th 2005, 4:42 pm
Don
Banned

Is it that the traffic is just bad compared to the south island or that the traffic really is bad (i.e. similar to uk)?

tottefan.
Truth is, traffic isn't bad ANYWHERE in NZ compared to UK apart from rush hour AKL or when there's a snarl.

Roads are good, speed limits are low, drivers are just as courteous as in the UK.
Old May 28th 2005, 10:18 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally Posted by Don
Truth is, traffic isn't bad ANYWHERE in NZ compared to UK apart from rush hour AKL or when there's a snarl.

Roads are good, speed limits are low, drivers are just as courteous as in the UK.

I agree with some of the above but after arriving in Wellington - I know there are some road works ) but we did not get outof first gear for over 3km An Auckland main city traffic is as bad as trafalgar square I think However the drivers are more courtious than the ones found in central london or new york for that matter - it always appears the main cities have the bad tempered drivers for obvious reasons