Reload this Page >

North island v south island

North island v south island

Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:07 am
Just Joined

groucho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default North island v south island

Hi everyone
we're a family of 5 and have been living in Auckland for just 3 months. Has anyone experience/advise on the south island as we're looking at Dunedin or Invercargill as a place to put our roots!
We've found the 'big city' expensive and too busy and looking for a quieter life.
Anyone out there with any experience of the south that can help us out? Best places, etc,etc.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:15 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North island v south island

Originally Posted by groucho
Hi everyone
we're a family of 5 and have been living in Auckland for just 3 months. Has anyone experience/advise on the south island as we're looking at Dunedin or Invercargill as a place to put our roots!
We've found the 'big city' expensive and too busy and looking for a quieter life.
Anyone out there with any experience of the south that can help us out? Best places, etc,etc.
Hiya

We're on South Island but towards the top so can't help I'm afraid. You could send a PM to Sir Eglamore, they're in Dunedin and have a couple of kids too. Be warned though he's a bit slow at picking up his messages!!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:19 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Dunedin, drop us a line with any queries you have.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:20 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner

sorry Southerner, didn't mean to overlook you
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

dicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nice

... as we're looking at Dunedin or Invercargill as a place to put our roots! We've found the 'big city' expensive and too busy and looking for a quieter life.
Crikey! talk about one extreme to the other! Wish we could help... but good luck. There be some bootiful countryside down thar!

Have you not thought of, say, the Wairarapa or Hawkes Bay, or the even the Nelson area?

Last edited by dicknlyn; Jun 12th 2007 at 8:41 am.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down Re: North island v south island

We lived in Invercargill and Dunedin when we first came to NZ. However, we prefer Auckland to both. They just didn't do it for us. Invercargill was so cold with icy winds and felt very isolated. However, it had some good housing stock and well-laid out streets with no hills, which was a change from Dunedin. Has a very good park too. Folks say Dunedin has a Scottish feel to it, but I never felt it reminded me to any place in Scotland I'd seen. I didn't like the town either - not very pretty. Broad Bay, across the bay is much prettier, but takes a long time to travel into town, but a very scenic drive.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone
Agree totally with your view of Auckland. We've been here exactly 1 year & 6 hours & have found it exactly opposite of what we wanted. It's OK while you are still in 'holiday mode' but soon wears off!!!!
We have spent lots of time travelling around looking at different areas & in 17 days we are moving to Hawkes Bay. We have found it to be nice & quiet, no traffic, a friendlier atmosphere, more open space than you could wish for & a great deal cheaper especially housing (just over 200k for 1/2 acre).

I suggest you do the same as we have, travel around, take your time & get a feel for different areas, as people's tastes vary greatly (I mean lots of people love the North Shore).

Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:35 am
Just Joined

Question Re: North island v south island

Hi, how are you finding it in Dunedin? I have lots of questions!
What's the cost of living like? Feeding a family of 5 with kids aged 17, 14, and 10 is sure expensive around here in Auckland!
How about schools? We have large fees here in Auckland [not private schools that kids go to either]. But because the schools they go to are high decile schools they do expect parents to pay a lot more in contributions.
What are the suburbs of Dunedin like? We are hoping to find an area that's bit more rural and commutable to city if OH gets job in city.
Hope that's not too questions, sorry if it is!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:18 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, how are you finding it in Dunedin? I have lots of questions!
What's the cost of living like? Feeding a family of 5 with kids aged 17, 14, and 10 is sure expensive around here in Auckland!
How about schools? We have large fees here in Auckland [not private schools that kids go to either]. But because the schools they go to are high decile schools they do expect parents to pay a lot more in contributions.
What are the suburbs of Dunedin like? We are hoping to find an area that's bit more rural and commutable to city if OH gets job in city.
Hope that's not too questions, sorry if it is!
Sorry will have to come back to this a bit later when I'm not in such a rush. I can say for a starter that everywhere around Dunedin is commutable. From the Octagon (the main plaza area in the centre) with 5-10 minutes driving you'll be well into the countryside in any direction. COL is probably about the same (you pay a bit less for groceries, etc, but probably a bit more for heating energy (the weather is more like the Uks than Auckland's). But houses are dirt cheap by comparison, a good 4 bedroom house in the top suburbs would probably be from $400k (the average house price is about $260k).
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Sorry will have to come back to this a bit later when I'm not in such a rush. I can say for a starter that everywhere around Dunedin is commutable. From the Octagon (the main plaza area in the centre) with 5-10 minutes driving you'll be well into the countryside in any direction. COL is probably about the same (you pay a bit less for groceries, etc, but probably a bit more for heating energy (the weather is more like the Uks than Auckland's). But houses are dirt cheap by comparison, a good 4 bedroom house in the top suburbs would probably be from $400k (the average house price is about $260k).
Thank you for that info, thats a great start.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Agree totally with your view of Auckland. We've been here exactly 1 year & 6 hours & have found it exactly opposite of what we wanted. It's OK while you are still in 'holiday mode' but soon wears off!!!!
We have spent lots of time travelling around looking at different areas & in 17 days we are moving to Hawkes Bay. We have found it to be nice & quiet, no traffic, a friendlier atmosphere, more open space than you could wish for & a great deal cheaper especially housing (just over 200k for 1/2 acre).

I suggest you do the same as we have, travel around, take your time & get a feel for different areas, as people's tastes vary greatly (I mean lots of people love the North Shore).

Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for.
Thank you.
We 've looked at Hawkes bay and it does seem lovely.
Good luck with the move.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

sandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nice

hi i live in rolleston in chch it's great central for travelling anywere,30mins to alps 30 mins to coast nice quite relaxing place wages not to good but we manage
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:31 am
Here in Dunedin

Originally Posted by workingNOMAD
Sounds like you will never be happy wherever you move.
Were you reading a different thread to the rest of us?
Old Jun 15th 2007, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

sandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nice
Wink Re: North island v south island

Is that cause mybe you live 1.5hr away?
Old Jun 15th 2007, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sandra arnott
hi i live in rolleston in chch it's great central for travelling anywere,30mins to alps 30 mins to coast nice quite relaxing place wages not to good but we manage
I guess it does depend on how you define the Alps - ie 1:15 to closest skifield (Porter Heights), maybe an hour to Rakaia Gorge (out the back of Methven), maybe an hour to Porters Pass. I think 30 min from Rolleston would get you to Springfield (compulsory sing-along...).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.