Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

North Island tragedy

North Island tragedy

Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:16 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default North Island tragedy

Not sure if a thread has already been started on this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7349774.stm

Very sad..Nature can't be taken for granted.

G
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Island tragedy

A tragic waste of young lives.

My sincerest sympathies go to the parents, relatives, friends and school colleagues.

Very, very sad indeed.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:23 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Really sad to see this on the news.
Heartfelt condolences to those who have suffered this tradegy.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:24 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

This made the NZ news this evening.

As per NG. All my sincere condolences go to the community, the school and especially the families who have lost their loved ones.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:27 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Youngsters must be allowed to take risks though.

Equally sad was the case of the 5 UK students killed in an RTA in Ecuador this week.

G
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:39 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Again. Condolences to all relatives and families.

Tragedy sadly happens. In 1993 4 kids were killed whilst canoeing in Lyme Bay . This was just down the road from me at that time. There was a subsequent parliamentary debate for whatever that is worth.

All we can say or do is offer our sympathy at this time. There will no doubt be an enquiry and yet another debate .
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

The community in Howick is in shock....Elim College is about 5 mins from our house,its so sad,just makes you want to go and give your kids a cuddle and be thankfull you still have them.....and not forgetting the young teacher too....our thoughts are with the families.....Jacky
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:31 pm
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

This tragedy is so sad, when i heard full story on news yesterday morning, couldn't help but shed a tear, i feel devastated for anyone involved in this, and of course as you say it goes on around the world, but this one I'm afraid has really shocked me, I have daughter in yr 12, wanting to go off and do allsorts of things, and of course I want her to do it all, I can't begin to imagine, how those poor families must feel.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:40 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

It's so very sad. My thought and prayers are with their friends and families today and the young instructor who survived but must also be going through hell
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

I personaly feel that NZ has a bit of a have a go attitude,regardless,which is refreshing in some ways but me being ever the pesimist I am always looking at risk factors of things and worrying what if this happens or that happens....there were already 2 kids who have been killed in Howick at my daughters intermediate school,drowning also on school trip..

I know you can't live your life not doing things just incase something happens...I just hope schools in Nz start looking at risk factors now and taking them more seriously...IMHO they tend to think everything is ok ,your in NZ now...nothing like that happens here

My son was on a school trip,his project was transport,so they travelled to the CBD in Auckland via different modes of transport,whilst on the ferry the teachers went inside and left the kids out on the deck unsupervised,it was a very choppy crossing as my son who was only 6 at the time said the water was splashing over the side...very risky IMHO as much as I love his school,have lost confidence in them....Jacky