Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

North Island Reccie

North Island Reccie

Old Jun 24th 2008, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire- soon to be New Plymouth (December 2008)
jill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant future
Default North Island Reccie

Hi

We are coming over to New Zealand in September/October time to have a ganders at the North Island for two weeks.

We are planning to hire a camper van, so that we can explore the area without too many restrictions.

We will be starting off in Auckland and will include the Bay of Plenty, can anyone help with information of campsites in these areas, and the charges.

Also any ideas of where else to go, we are currently in the process of applying for our PR visa, so this will be our chance to suss out rental accomodation, house prices and bills etc.

Thanks

Jill
Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Island Reccie

WELLINGTON
Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

welshman213 is a jewel in the roughwelshman213 is a jewel in the roughwelshman213 is a jewel in the roughwelshman213 is a jewel in the rough

Jill,

Apologies for jumping into your thread, and good luck with getting the answers you require.
But I am looking for very similar answers, but bassed around Wellington.
Anyone have any ideas for campsites in this area, we will be looking to come for a Reccie, April '09.

Thanks

John
Old Jun 24th 2008, 9:55 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jill stanton
Hi

We are coming over to New Zealand in September/October time to have a ganders at the North Island for two weeks.

We are planning to hire a camper van, so that we can explore the area without too many restrictions.

We will be starting off in Auckland and will include the Bay of Plenty, can anyone help with information of campsites in these areas, and the charges.

Also any ideas of where else to go, we are currently in the process of applying for our PR visa, so this will be our chance to suss out rental accomodation, house prices and bills etc.

Thanks

Jill
Hi Jill,

In this area, Tauranga, there are 2 great Top 10 Campsites/caravan parks, they have beach front locations, better than any motels etc. The one in Mount Maunganui is at the base of the Mount, so its just lovley, lots of facilities on doorstep of Park. The other one in our area is at Papmaoa Domain, lots of facilities on site I believe, and a nice bar/restaurant, its a good central base from which to explore.
I don't know charges, but i expect if you google it, on NZ Google, it will bring up the sites.

HTH, Best Wishes
Marika
Old Jun 24th 2008, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshman213
Jill,

Apologies for jumping into your thread, and good luck with getting the answers you require.
But I am looking for very similar answers, but bassed around Wellington.
Anyone have any ideas for campsites in this area, we will be looking to come for a Reccie, April '09.

Thanks

John
Queen Elizabeth park has plenty of space up in Paekakariki which is just south of Paraparaumu on the Kapiti Coast, there is also a small caravan site in Papkowhai on the top of James Whitford Brown ave and also you can pitch a caravan in the grounds of the aotea lodge http://www.aotealodge.co.nz/ all not too far from me! and within spitting distance of Welly...

Simon
Old Jun 24th 2008, 10:05 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

There's also one in Lower Hutt meaning you are closer to the city.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

welshman213 is a jewel in the roughwelshman213 is a jewel in the roughwelshman213 is a jewel in the roughwelshman213 is a jewel in the rough

Cheers Ted, Simon,

Will check those out and try to start work on a road map that I need to do.

Would you say a Camper would be a good idea in April, or better to book B&Bs and just driver around the areas?

Thanks

John
Old Jun 24th 2008, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

Hi Jill, try these
http://www.kiwiholidayparks.com/location.php
http://www.top10.co.nz/find_a_park.html
Dont have any first hand experience, sorry, but plenty to choose from here. Good luck
Old Jun 24th 2008, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire- soon to be New Plymouth (December 2008)
jill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant future

Thank you for all of your replies especially CCGM.IN NZ the links were very helpful.

Thanks again #

Jill
Old Jun 24th 2008, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Cheers Ted, Simon,

Would you say a Camper would be a good idea in April, or better to book B&Bs and just driver around the areas?

Thanks

John
Well you wouldn't have any probs getting in anywhere, your budget may well dictate it I suppose...
Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Ted, Simon,

Thanks

John
The week either side of Easter will be BUSY and I would book in advance,but otherwise you will have plenty of options.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers Guys,

I was more concerned with the weather conditions for that time of year though, but I think B&B might give us more interaction.

Thanks

John
Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:46 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jill stanton
Hi

Thanks

Jill
Hi Jill,

How exciting to be coming out and doing the campervan thing. I have such fond memories of our reccie.

Have a look here

http://www.mountbeachside.co.nz/index.htm

It's where we stayed up the road and it's where I fell in love with the area we now call home!

As Marika also said, the Top 10 Holiday Parks are very good usually.

Hope this helps.