the North Island

Old May 23rd 2005, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future
Default the North Island

Everyone always talks about the South Island and how stunningly beautiful it is. I've also heard people say that the South island is 10 times more beautiful than the North Island. I, therefore, wondered what the scenery on the north island is like.

I'm still undecided between Christchurch and Wellington and so the scenery could possibly be a deciding factor.

tottefan.
Old May 23rd 2005, 5:19 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the North Island

Originally Posted by tottefan
Everyone always talks about the South Island and how stunningly beautiful it is. I've also heard people say that the South island is 10 times more beautiful than the North Island. I, therefore, wondered what the scenery on the north island is like.

I'm still undecided between Christchurch and Wellington and so the scenery could possibly be a deciding factor.

tottefan.
Aparently the scenery in the North Island is 10 times less impressive than the South
But 20 times more impressive than Slough.
Old May 23rd 2005, 6:47 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Now this may start a riot but I personally thought CHCH looked very boring. Didnt hit any of our buttons. Wellington looked much prettier.
Old May 23rd 2005, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

tottefan.
The North Island is stunning - just stunning. Yes the South Island is too - but colder, but the North Island is stunning in its own right. I think NZ is lovely either island - and its well worth a look!
Old May 23rd 2005, 8:25 pm
enilorac

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
The North Island is stunning - just stunning. Yes the South Island is too - but colder, but the North Island is stunning in its own right. I think NZ is lovely either island - and its well worth a look!
Helloooooo Sunshine...I'm back for one night only under the poster amnesty initiative...how you doing....

Old May 23rd 2005, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future

That's what I thought. I take it that the scenery on the north island is generally better than the uk then?

tottefan.

Last edited by tottefan; May 23rd 2005 at 9:03 pm.
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

That's what I thought. I take it that the scenery on the north island is generally better than the uk then?

tottefan.
Its varied - thats what I like - it changes depending on where you are driving. I still think som parts of the UK are absolutley beautiful - the Lake District is my favourite and some parts of Wales are great. NZ is like Wales a bit I think (North Island), Around here in BOP its gorgeous and the Coromandel is fabulous. I think we're lucky to have the scenery = whether we are Northy's or Southy's is preference - and I still think its all lovely. I haven't been to South Island - OH has a few times, seen lots of photos thoug - and if you ask me all of NZ is beautiful! - As are some parts of the UK.
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Merlot12 will become famous soon enoughMerlot12 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scottish
Now this may start a riot but I personally thought CHCH looked very boring. Didnt hit any of our buttons. Wellington looked much prettier.
There is a difference between what a city is like, and what the surrounding scenery is like... if you think about what is within a 90 min radius of ChCh then ChCh wins everytime. In my humble opinion of course.
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:38 pm
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all

If I had to choose between the two I would choose Chch for sure.
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:49 pm
enilorac

Originally Posted by Debs70
Hey Debs...how you doing....You really liked it on South Island didn't you...

I nearly started a riot the other day chatting to two kiwis one from the north and one from the south. I asked them what they liked about their own place and the only bit of sense I took away with me was Cattle in the North, Sheep in the South...so South Island it is for me...love to watch lambs gambolling in the fields....aaaaahhhhh

Old May 23rd 2005, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

and if you ask me all of NZ is beautiful! - As are some parts of the UK.
True. Some parts of the uk are lovely but the house prices are bloody expensive, especially for first time buyers. A 4 bedroom house near the Lake District would cost a fortune. That is part of the attraction of New Zealand.

tottefan.
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Debs70

Had a friend recently who toured around NZ in a camper van. They spent about 3 weeks in South Island and 2 weeks here in North Island. I asked her how it had all been. She sadi that they were coming back to do the North Island asap as they wished they had spent more time here. She said the scenery in South Island was beautiful and they had enjoyed it - but that there was lotsand lots of nothing there. She said they had driven miles in between places and seen not a sole for miles too. I am afraid for me - in my opinion that scenery is great - but - there is only so long you can look at it if you are the kind of person who likes to bo out and busy. I think we have beutiful scenery here on North Island. We also have more towns and cities though so less distance between places. Again - we all like different things so horses for courses. My OH says he loves Dunedin, and that the South Island is a little more 'english' than the north island. I should get him to post on here - but h think I spend too much time chattin gon here as it is! LOL. Off out now - have fun all.
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:53 pm
enilorac

Had a friend recently who toured around NZ in a camper van. They spent about 3 weeks in South Island and 2 weeks here in North Island. I asked her how it had all been. She sadi that they were coming back to do the North Island asap as they wished they had spent more time here. She said the scenery in South Island was beautiful and they had enjoyed it - but that there was lotsand lots of nothing there. She said they had driven miles in between places and seen not a sole for miles too. I am afraid for me - in my opinion that scenery is great - but - there is only so long you can look at it if you are the kind of person who likes to bo out and busy. I think we have beutiful scenery here on North Island. We also have more towns and cities though so less distance between places. Again - we all like different things so horses for courses. My OH says he loves Dunedin, and that the South Island is a little more 'english' than the north island. I should get him to post on here - but h think I spend too much time chattin gon here as it is! LOL. Off out now - have fun all.
Or maybe North Island then so that we could do lunch Shellie!!! Have a nice day and maybe talk later....

Old May 24th 2005, 5:18 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

In North Island there are some stunningly beautiful bits and some boring/ average bits. Best bits IMHO include the east Coromandel, all Northland and esp BOI, Warkworth coast, BOP not just coast but inland too - loads or orchardy areas, Hawkes Bay similar. Wellington alright, actually.

Christchurch is OK on the coast but yes it's a bit boring looking when the hills go brown.
I think the South Island being some kind of beautiful paradise lost that you don't find elsewhere is a little overdone as it is very similar in lots of ways to the European Alps and lakes, European forests, green hills of Somerset and Devon etc.
Old May 24th 2005, 5:38 am
Franklin

If I had the choice, it would be South Island. I prefer cold weather. Just suits me. Colder the better, I happen to think Chicago winters are mild! I just love being wrapped up and warm while all about is freezing cold! I live/work in the DC metro area and hate DC summers, they are hot and humid and just awful (this year's summer is not too bad, been rather damp and cold so far!

Hot humid weather just drains me. I love sleeping in a freezing cold room snugged up tight in a warm bed. I lived in Glasgow for a while, and kept my window open through the winter, one of my room mates was a keen outdoors man and he told me he did not put the heating on much during the winter. I said that was fine, I sleep with my window open anyway, so there's not much point in putting the gas heater on. Part way through one Scottish-Glasgow damp winter he asked me if I could close my bedroom door as my room was freezing the place out. I miss Chicago winters and Glasgow summers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.