North Canterbury

Old Jun 11th 2010, 5:33 am
Just Joined

Binks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default North Canterbury

Hi

does anyone have any comments (good or bad) on North Canterbury? My husband has seen a job advertised there and we don't really have much idea of what the area is like. We are in Tauranga at the moment but not having much luck with work in his trade. Any info appreciated.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

gozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nice
Default Re: North Canterbury

where in north canterbury. Most of it is remote. can be dismal this time of year.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Binks View Post
Hi

does anyone have any comments (good or bad) on North Canterbury? My husband has seen a job advertised there and we don't really have much idea of what the area is like. We are in Tauranga at the moment but not having much luck with work in his trade. Any info appreciated.
I disagree with the dismal part!!! We are in Rangiora and love itFab!! Its winter and we have had a fair bit of rain but the sunny blue days in-between with the snow capped mountains make up for it-its spectacular! There are some pretty remote areas though i agree, depends what you like etc. Where is the job based?
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:29 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Binks.
How will you bear to leave Am Loo and those Rusty Ferns.

I'd say it depends which part of North Canterbury to be honest. A fair few end up around Rangiora and seem to find ithas everything they need. You'd perhaps not find the weather as good in winter but it's certainly beautiful.

What trade is your husband in?
Old Jun 12th 2010, 5:51 am
Just Joined

Binks is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your replies. My hubby is maintenance technician and the job he has seen is around the Rangiora area. Neither of us have been to S.I. before and were sort of hoping to stay in Tauranga (especially with me being such an asset to the Rusty Ferns) but its getting a bit desperate now.

I am out here alone at present. I came with my teenage son for him to start college in Feb, but he completed the first part of his course at the end of May, said "see ya end of July" and beggared off to see girlfriend in Sweden leaving muggins pet sitting dog and cat.

My hubby is still in UK working (well he would be if he hadn't severed his finger and ended up having an operation to save it and is now sitting in our empty UK house, as furniture is somewhere on the sea between there and here!) They didn't tell us about this at the Immigration EXPO!

That's my rant for now - best get it all out eh?
Old Jun 12th 2010, 6:45 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your replies. My hubby is maintenance technician and the job he has seen is around the Rangiora area. Neither of us have been to S.I. before and were sort of hoping to stay in Tauranga (especially with me being such an asset to the Rusty Ferns) but its getting a bit desperate now.

I am out here alone at present. I came with my teenage son for him to start college in Feb, but he completed the first part of his course at the end of May, said "see ya end of July" and beggared off to see girlfriend in Sweden leaving muggins pet sitting dog and cat.

My hubby is still in UK working (well he would be if he hadn't severed his finger and ended up having an operation to save it and is now sitting in our empty UK house, as furniture is somewhere on the sea between there and here!) They didn't tell us about this at the Immigration EXPO!

That's my rant for now - best get it all out eh?
Oh dear, sorry to hear things have been far from easy. You should have given one of us a shout and we could have come over bearing gifts of wine ...

There are quite a few BE users in Rangiora who I am sure will be along later. I've never been to that part so can't help with your question. Just wanted to say you know where we are if you need any help/alcohol or company.

Oh, and can you commute on a Friday if you move, for netball?
Old Jun 12th 2010, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

ahhhh - there you are - ditto from Am Loolah x
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We live in Rangiora and quite like it, near enough to Christchurch if you want to see shows or the pub scene but far enough away for a bit of piece and quiet if that is your thing also. I did comment on the way home the other night after a meal out in Chch and then a movie that at 11.30pm all of Rangiora was asleep and you could fire a gun down the High Street and not hit anyone Oh and the state highway one had about 5 cars on it - not bad for the main motorway through the south island!! Seriously though it all depends what you want out of life. We are middle aged and look for peace and quiet so it suits us perfectly with Christchurch about 30 mins drive if we fancy a night out at the theatre or something cultural!
Old Jun 14th 2010, 2:24 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I will leave Woking, Surrey bound for Christchurch via Auckland in February 2011. My husband is a New Zealander and I have a spouses' visa. How long have you lived on the S.I. ?
Old Jun 14th 2010, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Rangiora, I lived near there for 3.5 years. My wife thought it was ok if limited for shopping, never crowded always easy going.

Every time I went there, I noticed a unhealthy fascination with loud exhausts and crappy cars, people with no shoes on and plenty of the Hillbilly types.

A mixture of old and new houses, The Oaks has the nicer houses and larger sections, the North west of town is the nicest.

Canterbury man is different from the rest of NZ, insular attitudes prevail.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie View Post
My husband and I will leave Woking, Surrey bound for Christchurch via Auckland in February 2011. My husband is a New Zealander and I have a spouses' visa. How long have you lived on the S.I. ?
Hi we have lived here since 2006 when we arrived. Hubby got a job with an international company and is still there but is about to launch his own business importing a SIPS Panel from Germany to build nice warm houses! This is the best area we feel as we don't really like to be in big cities and moved here really for the space and scenery. We could not personally live in say Auckland. We moved from here from Cornwall so you can imagine the quietness we had there. In many ways it suits us but we do want to go to see parts of the North for holidays etc. I know winters get cold here but we don't get the wet like the north do and lets face it before we know it, spring will have arrived. Yesterday we went for a drive toward the lovely snow capped mountains around Oxford - lovely place but not for me personally. We have a nice new home in the North which is well insulated and warm. We rented first on The Oaks and then tried the outskirts of Christchurch and ended up buying here. We will build in the new german panel that hubby is importing to get a real eco friendly warm home but may go further out and get a lifestyle block (OH dream!!) My dream however is a sea view - wonder who will win!!!
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

we are a 10 min drive from Rangiora the place seems to be growing all the time It,s full of brits theres not a lot of choice on the shopping we got a new world and a woolies and there is talk of building a pak n save, the local pub does sell guiness wich is a bonus

We got a spare bed if u want to come and have a look round ?

Neil
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:09 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I live in Woodend and I have lived in a few places around CHCH and also lived in Kerikeri and love in North Canterbury we are just a few mins to the beach plus Rangiora is quite good for shopping, cafes, bars, fishing, walks and so much more.
We have plenty of snow on the Mountains, Oxford is a nice place lots to offer its around 40mins drive into Christchurch, Airport 35mins, Rangiora 30mins.
I have always said its best to go with the best job offer first.
So good job hunting hope it works out for you.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil View Post
the local pub does sell guiness wich is a bonus
Thats all the information i needed on North Canterbury in One sentence
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:30 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: North Canterbury

We got a spare bed if u want to come and have a look round ?

Thanks Jan and Neil. We will stay at the Riccarton Motel for a week whilst house hunting. I've seen plenty of suitable houses/flats for rent within our weekly budget in Christchurch via the internet. We will not have a car initially so walking distance shops will be an advantage. Thanks for the offer though. It might be nice to meet up with you both though.