Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Non PR student Uni fee's?...

Non PR student Uni fee's?...

Old May 13th 2011, 1:06 pm
Banned

robbyarg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Non PR student Uni fee's?...

Depending on what country you come from, I think you pay the uni your COUNTRY's LOCAL TERTIARY RATE but in NZ dollars. Eg if it costs 6000 of your currency to study a semester, than it would be 6000 NZ in NZ for that semester. Check this out carefully, but it should be something like that.

Originally Posted by Wessa
Hello All,

Can anyone give me a ball park figure.
We have 18mnths to 2yrs before we get PR. My 16yr old girl, well 17 in Aug is aiming to go uni at the end of College etc here in NZ.

Im guessing i will won't be able to get a reduction on student fee's/loans etc..

Anyone gone through this?..

As ever, Thanks,

Gary.
Old May 13th 2011, 8:03 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no meanie, just don't see why I should take on a $20k plus (x4) debt to further their education. I think kids (adults actually by that age) should be taking on this responsibility themselves and they are more likely to succeed and persevere with a course if they understand the meaning of paying it for themselves - the sense of achievement will be far greater at the end of the degree than those who get everything handed out to them by the bank of mum and dad.
Old May 13th 2011, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

faye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to all

I work at University of Auckland and have been looking at going back to university to retrain so have been doing some research.
If you have PR then you will pay domestic rates no matter how long you have had it. The problem comes down to student loans. You are not entitled to student loans until you have had PR for 2 years.
If you don't have PR then the international fees vary according to the course studied. For an example unitec's international fees can be found at this link.
http://www.unitec.ac.nz/?1C2059AC-14...E-D4A712C8C143
Old May 13th 2011, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robbyarg
Depending on what country you come from, I think you pay the uni your COUNTRY's LOCAL TERTIARY RATE but in NZ dollars. Eg if it costs 6000 of your currency to study a semester, than it would be 6000 NZ in NZ for that semester. Check this out carefully, but it should be something like that.
sorry, that's not right see other posts about domestic fees: NZ University fees are agreed with their Councils and then government
Old May 14th 2011, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Reading the original post again, your daughter's presumably got another year at school. Why doesn't she take a gap year after that, travel the country, earn a few dollars by which time you should have PR, she should have a few of her own dollars behind her and 'whoever' would only have to pay domestic fees? At this point she will also see if she actually wants to go to uni.

Given the current outcry over student loans, I can see them not existing in 2 years anyway, but at least you'd be paying domestic fees and she'd be able to help pay her way and have a year experiencing what's on offer in NZ first (unless of course she spends it all during the year!).
Old May 14th 2011, 6:19 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MOSO
Reading the original post again, your daughter's presumably got another year at school. Why doesn't she take a gap year after that, travel the country, earn a few dollars by which time you should have PR, she should have a few of her own dollars behind her and 'whoever' would only have to pay domestic fees? At this point she will also see if she actually wants to go to uni.

Given the current outcry over student loans, I can see them not existing in 2 years anyway, but at least you'd be paying domestic fees and she'd be able to help pay her way and have a year experiencing what's on offer in NZ first (unless of course she spends it all during the year!).
Great suggestion - You may even find that she needs to take a couple of years to complete the final years of the NCEAs out here anyway...

Last edited by P18PPS; May 14th 2011 at 6:20 am. Reason: additional
Old May 14th 2011, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MOSO

Moso, thats is our outlook on it now too, as she did want to do a gap year and travel. She wants to go back to the start of year 12 too so that will give here 2 years at school before here gap year. We have at least a year befor we can apply for pr anyway...

Thanks all..